EU residence registration advice.

Good day all

Looking for advice on the correct EU application registration to follow. The context is as follows.

Irish national (thus an EU citizen) moved to Malta in August and has an existing 8 month contract with a South African company. She will be working remotely in Malta for the South African company with a high chance of the contact being renewed for another 12 months. She has savings that she can rely on that exceed the minimum requirement for the EU self sufficient option. She also plans on remaining in Malta for the foreseeable future.

As she is starting the residence registration process (must be completed within 3 months per Identity Malta site info) what EU application registration is applicable? Self sufficient or self employment?

The self employment option is very confusing as it asks for details regarding Employment Registration No, Trade Licence Unit No, Social Security No … that she does not understand or have.

Additionally any advice regarding the intended duration of stay, if her plans are to stay for the foreseeable future.

Thank you and apologies for all the questions …

@craigr As an EU citizen she is fully entitled to live here.

As there are sufficient funds for self sufficiency that may be the easier route but if employed by the S. African company she can simply register as employed. If that employment is on a self employed contract basis then I would apply under self sufficiency and for the future, if the  contract is extended just carry on. No one will care as long as you have registered as residing in Malta.

Whilst the Identity Malta website says register within 3 months, in practice they no longer accept applications until after 3 months and will require proof of living here so keep receipts, bills etc.

@craigr

self sufficiency is the easier option for her without doubt.

As far as I remember she will just need to show bank statements with income and outgoings in Malta or the required amount of capital

Self sufficiency would not apply as she is working in Malta for a foreign client.  If she is bringing her South African earnings into Malta to live on then she will need to pay taxes in Malta.

Self sufficiency is meant for people who are not working.  She is working in Malta for a South African company and bringing her income into Malta to live on.  As such she will owe Maltese tax on that income and need to register for tax.  When she arrives in Malta, they will issue her with all of the tax numbers she needs.  Self sufficiency also needs registration but does not owe taxes on income not remitted to Malta.  There is also the minimum tax to consider.

@Robin and heather it's ok if i send my salary certificate

@timcob

it's the law here that everybody has to register for tax even if they do not have to pay anything.

@Robin and heather it's ok if i send my salary certificate
-@Evil Bishal

Why would you want to send anything that private and important? I strongly recommend you DON'T to someone you don't know on the internet!

@SimCityAT ok