Bad Lawyer

I been referred to a lawyer who can arrange divorces in the Philippines. After contacting him i was told it is possible to get a divorce in the Philippines by converting to Islam and a sharia court will issue a divorce . As he was a lawyer i thought his claim was genuine as he also had a Legal office . I visited him and more info was exchanged also a 100 000 p deposit. I was told it would take about 1 to 2 weeks . 4 days later i received a message to come to his office as the divorce was done. I parted with an other 100 000 P ( full payment was 200 000 p )

I picked up the papers and found all signatures ( mine and my wives ) where falsified 9 in the conversion the application ect. I questioned him about this  but he told me this was no problem as when the papers are received and signed by the Municipality i was married it was to late and any complaint had to be made to the court issuing the divorce which was in deep Muslim country near Marawi  in Mindanao .So no one would be able to go there.

I know i was screwed but did not made a complaint against him as i was told complaints against Lawyers are hard to do but i finally send him a message about this and ask for my money back  only being threatened by him to sue me for extorsion in a sharia court and i should go to hell

So well now i still don't have a divorce and 200 000 p out of pocket.

What can i do now ? I send a complaint to the ibp but did not get a answer.

Sad to say there are many lawyers like that in the Philippines particularly in annulment cases; there is no divorce in this country.

Only your girlfriend can file a complain against the lawyer;

This is the problem on "short cuts";

@dieselman1952 I have to say you must be the most gullible person on the planet and the person that referred you to this snake needs to get a punch in the mouth

@dieselman1952 I am really sorry to hear about your bad experience and the fact you have been swindled out of a lot of money. I am no expert on this topic but I do think converting to Muslim was a non starter in the first place.

From what I have quickly seen doing a quick google check, The law does provide for the creation of Sharia Courts in the Philippines but and here s the but, it says that you can only get a divorce this way if your marriage was solemnized in accordance with Muslim Law . In other words if your not married as a Muslim, no divorce. There may be a way around it but if there is, I can not see it.

In the UK we do have solicitors who will give free advise but it is only a 20 or 30 minute appointment so I would suggest if there is the option to do that where you are, do it. Although if your in the Philippines I guess free Legal Advise does not exist. Also not worth going to Marawi, too dangerous and I was told that by a taxi driver we used to go from Cagayan De Oro to Tinago Falls near Iligan City in May. Not the first time I have been warned about going to or near Marawi City either.

I am sorry to say but I think you have lost your money. I am also thinking that any Lawyer who is scamming people like this may be prepared to hire thugs to deal with any complaints if you were to push a bit too hard to get your money back or expose his venture. You will also have to ask yourself, is paying for a lawyer to look into it worth the cost and time involved, should you decide to go down that route.

I suspect the so called Lawyer told you you could have the documents and do the ceremony to convert to Islam later or did you actually convert, you did not say. Sad to say but he saw you coming. I am afraid bmasters comment above is true, you were, let us say easy prey. I wonder if the person who referred you was in on it too.

@ dieselman 

I have no idea about chance to winn, but there is SMALL claims courts, which are MUCH faster than common courts. I suppouse some better chance if Filipina file the case if possible.

If I remember correct 200 000 pesos is the max in Small claim courts. 

If you find more people being victim being scamed by same lawyer, it add chance he will want to BUY himself free from the risk to get to jail. That happen when scammers in Phils when they feel they risk jail, then they pay the victims to cancel the case.  Phil laws is some crazy by some serious crimes are NOT brought to court by the juistice system, the VICTIMS have to file cases!!!

@dieselman1952

So His threat to you will that you're going to Hell....LOL.

Okay. I've heard much worse.

You got ripped off big time. sorry for your unfortunate loss of your money, time and effort.  I suppose no due diligence was done on his professional work and past cases...checking of references sounds like a great idea here.  did you not think to do that ?

To the OP,

Sometimes things like these happen when we take, as member Cynthiavilla mentioned, "short-cuts." When you go through a loophole, you could get stuck. (Pun intended.)

If you were one of my close friends, I would advise you to just move on. What's done is done. Sure you've already spent time, money and effort on getting a divorce which didn't work out. But would it be worth your time (and some amount of money too) and a lot of stress to file a complaint? Focus instead on getting that annulment, which is what you ultimately want, with the help of a good lawyer.

My two cents.

dieselman1952

Forget about it, don't waste any time brooding over it. You've been taken advantage of twice, your wife & your lawyer.

Don't spend any more time or money, you will NOT find any justice.

@dieselman1952

Does this Lawyer have a website or any social media presence?

Better call saul

@dieselman1952 Welcome to the Philippines Buddy,   Your done!   and out $3,556.76 - but it's ok - you'll get that back - it's only money to us Foreigners - something we get again and again.  Just learn - here in the PHP  - the smiles on many hide their true feelings of contempt for the Gringo.  Oh!   you will be robbed again, there's so many ways it will happen - If you have a good woman she will deflect most of the leeches but you have to learn some of the cultural ways of the people to understand them better - nice people - but - still - they are people. 

Us Foreigners have to support one another -  even if we feel the guy should have done this or that to avoid being a victim. Remember - most people in a foreign Land are not inclined to "Investigate"  most recommendations as we are saying to ourselves "...Why would someone try to deceive an unsuspecting nice Foreigner?"  So then, let us embrace our fellow "Happy seekers"  that's what we are - traveling to seek "happiness",   with words of encouragement, that he is not alone.   When these people travel to our Lands they stick together, suck the resources from our Lands and send it back here, and other places. Thank God I am from America!   I always can go home and become wealthy again. If I so choose. It is ok brother - Good karma will flow your way.

Dane Juju said . . . . . When these people travel to our Lands they stick together, suck the resources from our Lands and send it back here, and other places. Thank God I am from America!  I always can go home and become wealthy again. If I so choose. It is ok brother - Good karma will flow your way.

These suckers of resources? . . .

Entering the US, Filipinos must pass strict restrictions to obtain a visa in order to work. With this said . . . .They are qualified to be employed.

Hardly sucking, but providing a needed services.

You can always go home and become wealthy again?   .

Prove it, go home.

@dieselman1952 A quick Google check confirms that the *husband* who converted to Islam can obtain a sharia divorce but only if the original marriage was performed as a sharia marriage. Given that you likely were not married in an Islamic ceremony and the lawyer knew that, then you have been defrauded.  Is the lawyer even authorized to practice sharia law?  Go back to some US no-fault divorce state where just one party is needed to end the marriage. It might work in Florida. Even if only the foreigner secures the divorce in the US, latest rulings indicate the divorce will be valid here.

Us Foreigners have to support one another....  When these people travel to our Lands they stick together, suck the resources from our Lands and send it back here, and other places. Thank God I am from America!  I always can go home and become wealthy again. If I so choose. It is ok brother - Good karma will flow your way.
-@Dane Juju

So.. they are doing what you suggest we do.. haha. Stick together. Support our fellow countrymen...

Us Foreigners have to support one another - even if we feel the guy should have done this or that to avoid being a victim. Remember - most people in a foreign Land are not inclined to "Investigate" most recommendations as we are saying to ourselves "...Why would someone try to deceive an unsuspecting nice Foreigner?" So then, let us embrace our fellow "Happy seekers" that's what we are - traveling to seek "happiness",  with words of encouragement, that he is not alone.  When these people travel to our Lands they stick together, suck the resources from our Lands and send it back here, and other places. Thank God I am from America!  I always can go home and become wealthy again. If I so choose. It is ok brother - Good karma will flow your way.
-@Dane Juju

Well. Back when many immigrated to USA from Europe, then it was common to be scammed by people coming from SAME country by many immigrants expedcted them to be trustworthy  1f923.svg

USA ISNT white people's country   :)    Its rather RECENT since it was scammed or stolen from native Americans, even from the tribes which fought at the white AMERICAN's side in the freedom war against England!!! As thanks they were killed or forced away from their land!!!  Many Americans seem  to dont know that!!!  Is it cencored in American history book or what?

Btw - How many Americans know DEMOCRASY got learned FROM these main assisting tribes?