Rental Housing

I know I will most likely be told it is a personal preference, but I feel the need to inquire.  As I am looking at rentals in Siem Reap I am curious.  Is there any advantage to renting an apartment in a building with numerous rentals or a Villa?  I would love to hear pros and cons of both! 
@thepilatesloft1 I honestly don't know the differences between an apartment and a villa. I guess it is a single unit compared to apartment units? I bet there is a price difference though. I have seen smaller one bedroom apartments where I want to live that cost about $250 a month. I don't need something big so is size a differentiator? What about security in the building? Given that all I have lived in for almost 10 years are rooms, an apartment is gonna make me run around in all the rooms yelling in joy I think1f600.svg.  But I am going to spoil myself with an apartment I guess. I could just live in a room though. In Phnom Penh before I lived for months in a room. I did not seem to suffer so much. IF I could find a room that was about $200 a month, with AC, decent common spaces, I would just live that way.

Seriously though, when you get to SR, get a tuktuk for the day and go tour around and look at both. If you have realty agent in mind ask them to show you samples. I'm going to go look for some days at apartments (I guess).
I have always preferred apartments, mainly for the security aspect. Most apartments have a landlord who lives on site, they keep the place tidy and secure, and usually clean the apartment on a monthly basis for free. They take care of any maintenance, even change lightbulbs and unblock sinks, and a good landlord makes sure the tenants are happy. In a villa you are out on your own, no security, and whatever happens there is just you to deal with it. Villas usually have more space and more rooms, but for a single person how much space do you need? If I had a family I would probably want a villa or small house, but as a single an apartment is perfect. Mike, if you just want a 'studio', you can get a pretty good one for $200. See you soon.
@hdgh29 Thanks! Can't wait to get there. Hoping to find a smaller place like a studio. I have a few realty agents that will pick me up in a tuktuk at the airbnb to look around for a few days. Really want to get back to Sister Srey Cafe and eat. I have been wanting their hashed browns and wonderful coffees for awhile.

Will be messaging you with my Cambodian cell number. I get to SR on 1 October after three weeks in Phnom Penh goofing around and drinking beer with sunsets and getting my retirement extension with Kim.

Take care. See you soon.
Thank you all!  I am staying in the Villa D for one week then moving to Babel the second week.  Then, I will begin exploring areas to live.  I'm leaning towards Wat Bo.

@thepilatesloft1 good place to lean. I think you would be good in good company around there. I think will find a studio type place there. A few realtors want to stop by my Airbnb and show me. I'd like to spend a few days looking around Wat Bo area. I don't need much. One place on expat.com shows a 1 bedroom thereabouts for $250. I think can find something for less if I spend a few days at it.

69 yr old retired American, quiet ex Buddhist monk, arriving in SR Oct 4th, looking for long term small apt or studio $80-$125 a month, walking distance to food and services. ( not too isolated) wifi, kitchen , ac, hot water, building generator a plus. Willing to share with the right person for less. I do not drink or smoke nor do I chase women anymore .   

@Leon French Hi Leon. I met this Khmer guy yesterday in SR. He was telling me he has a place for $60 a month and showed me pictures. It looked pretty basic but it had basic facilities and rooms. I think if you look around and perhaps hang out downtown by the bridges you could find something. I did not take the person's name or contact info. I wanted something a little different and willing to pay a bit more for it. So I think they are there.I don't know about your list of needs. You will have to search around and see. The realtors I had contacted before wanted about $200 a month for a studio apartment with a year lease and first and last month rent. I may still do that after December when I get back from Vietnam.

Take care and good luck.

@mpmilestogo  Thank M   I'm looking at a apt tomorrow with the works $130  month to month........Also meeting with a guy that has one for $150 Long term.  Just retired from Phoenix------not goin back    I watch Red Wings, Lions & Tigers using USTV (Free)  and FSL  (free live streams). Just type in your teams name when it starts....IF your interested................   L

Hello everyone,

Please note that advertising should not be done on the forum.

Kindly post an advert in the Housing in Siem Reap section to promote accommodation.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team