Planning to move to the Philippines in a year or two

HI my name is Bim from UK, aged 57, planning to move to the Philippines in a year or two. Have a kinda of girlfriend there.. Researching on rentals, cost of living, building a home , budget of approx 2M peso... also im a vegan where I found it difficult to find food. I cannot receive my pension until im 67, but the way UK government are, it will be never!  Therefore will be relying on savings, rental income from my home in UK. Any advice welcomed.  Thanks Bim
HI my name is Bim from UK, aged 57, planning to move to the Philippines in a year or two. Have a kinda of girlfriend there.. Researching on rentals, cost of living, building a home , budget of approx 2M peso... also im a vegan where I found it difficult to find food. I cannot receive my pension until im 67, but the way UK government are, it will be never!  Therefore will be relying on savings, rental income from my home in UK. Any advice welcomed.  Thanks Bim
- @bimprasad
Bim. . . .

I'll keep it simple don't come to the Philippines without a regular sufficient monthly income. Budgeting savings till your pension arrives is over optimistic.

Budgeted savings should include hospitalizations . . . .over here you pay upfront for some services and have to clear your bill before leaving in most cases.

Don't rely on rental income when many things can go wrong. If the tenant has a financial problem then you may have a financial problem.

If you are planning on moving to the Philippines solely on of a 'Kinda Girlfriend'. You will end up 'Kinda Broke' and possibly 'Kinda Foolish'.
@bimprasad  I am in a similar situation although now just turned 60 and I also live in the UK. I have a girlfriend and 2 year old daughter in the Philippines but am not in a rush to move over there on a permanent basis. I plan to stay in the UK and visit my girlfriend and daughter in the Philippines, travel around the country a little bit and have a look where might be a good place to settle down when the time comes. If my girlfriend is willing to relocate that is.

2 million pesos is only about £30,000, not a great deal even with your rental money coming in from your property in the UK and  a kinda girlfriend sounds like one or both of you is not fully committed to the relationship.

If I were you I would firstly find out if your kinda girlfriend turns into your fully committed, I want a serious relationship girlfriend. Go out when you can and see her, take a trip somewhere nice and get to know her better and then see how you both feel.

I have worked out that I need to be a little bit nearer to drawing that pension at 67. I would maybe consider going two or three years before if I have enough savings to comfortably get me through to the age of 67, when I can draw my full pension. One more thing I would do even if I did take the plunge is to leave myself a few thousand pounds in the UK, just in case things go wrong.
@Enzyte Bob Kinda girlfriend, as we have just started a relationship, even though we have known each other for  year. When it comes to money, I can survive, it a matter of what I do . Rental from my house isnt a problem, ive been working in the industry for 25 years. 

Every thing in life has its risks,  and have spoken to people who made major mistakes with there money, girlfriend, etc.. Im stil researching, so its not as if im going tommorow. 

@Cherryann01 Hi and thanks. Def researching and not rushing int anything. Just being very alert & careful, before the move 9If it happens),

- @bimprasad
A clever Filipina built an around 150 squaremeter partly posh stone house for 1,5 million pesos, so its possible.   But they count outdoor space as verandas in the squaremeters too.

I dont know if a vegan get problem to fill some nutrision need, but for a vegetarian its EASIER - I mean less costs - if not being to picky by so much vegs, beans and such are grown in Phils. 
If you get problem, you can contact me.  I know vegan solutions to most nutrisions but some of them I know taste bad   :)

Some are lucky having good family-in-laws, but many dont, so many - including me - recomend locate far enough from them to not risk to get visits any often.  BUT expect you will need to support them some, because the LAW say relatives - including spouses - HAVE TO support parents and sibblings BUT many have missed to notice that law is valid only for people who do their best, or being old.

If you arent sure if you can manage at your rent income, there are many obstacles  :)  BUT also investments with very high potentials by capital is valued very high compared to work in the Phillipines. 
(E g after much research I have skiped most ideas, but found some very interesting such. One started and an other in progress to be tested if we can produce "export quality" with a cheaper method idea. Although its profitable at average qulity too IF we get all sold, the local competition about that is very hard, but less hard if we can export .)
Hello everyone,

Please note that I have created a new thread from your posts on the Philippines forum.

@ Bim, Welcome on board !, members have given you some good advice and I am sure you will get more leads.

All the best,
Bhavna
Welcome, Bim. I did somewhat the same thing after I "retired" early at age 57, but made lots of mistakes. Was living on income from my nest egg, and rental income from my second home. When I was in Southeast Asia I met my current girlfriend. She was briefly married, from a decade earlier, but I didn't fully understand the ramifications of that, and I was smitten. I rented my primary home and moved over here for a couple years, living a western lifestyle. A couple of things happened:

1 - After two years, I found out I couldn't take living in the Philippines full time - the climate, congestion, noise, pollution, and general chaos were so radically different from my life back home in the US Pacific Northwest. So I started going back and forth, living in both places part time. Winter in Southeast Asia, summers in the US. And we traveled a lot throughout SEA, and live a pretty good lifestyle, even now.

2 - Well that has turned out to be really expensive - homes and cars in both places, lots of travel, etc. Not to mention, I can't marry my girlfriend (no divorce) and she is expensive to keep. It's not that she takes my money, but there are just so many needs here - family medical, sickness, private schools, etc - and I am a generous person. And by my choice, we do enjoy a good, healthy lifestyle, travel and dining out. It adds up really fast. It can be more expensive than just living a reasonably frugal life back home.

3 - So I blew a pretty good sized hole in my nest egg from this experience... but I'm still in good shape because of some real estate investments, SS pension started at 64, and the stock market returns have been good  - but it's not what it could have been, lol - and I have learned some expensive lessons that I will henceforth apply going forward.

It takes a long time to really get to know a person - the true personality may not emerge for a long time. The cultures are very different, and things are not always what they seem. Pick one place or another - the middle ground is hugely expensive. If you're looking for a partner here, find someone who is not "separated", but truly single. And take your time - do not be in a rush.  And be cautious with girlfriends - they can eat you alive if you're not careful, but not without our full participation..

Edit - I will add that this whole adventure has been an amazing, life transforming experience.. I don't have any regrets .. but I would probably do things differently if I were to do it over.
Agreed...even back in 2012 (7yrs before my retirement) when I first moved here to set up my retirement home the costs already piled up; here is a basic breakdown :
a)  Invested 1m pesos for the cheapest available Srrv (smile) visa.
b)  Proceeded to pump in another 2.5m pesos for a 500m2 plot of land in the province that sits close to the sea. This includes the cost of major land fill/v.basic 2.5b/r house/ Kubo car porch for my 200k peso multicab & a 20k peso scooter; then another standalone Kubo for outdoor parties & finally a sari sari shop which has now been fully converted to a stock room/workshop)..finally the developed land was fully perimeter fenced.
c)  Still have a property back home that generates a small rental stream that helps with our day to day living expenses + a reasonably sized savings account & life insurance that has cash value if the urgent need arises.
d)  Have a pension plan that should start when I'm 65 (6.5yrs from now) can't wait to get my hands on it.
e)  Still live a very simple/very frugal lifestyle which suits me & my sexy better half just fine.
@coach53 Hi and many thanks. My girlfriend has advised that 1.5 to 1.8M Peso you can build a small house out in he provience. Away from family, but have been told by the girlfriend that family dont need support , as have sisters who all work & brother. To be honest, this I prefer, dont like it to busy, pollution, rubbish, etc.... Thankfully I had home made vegan food and accepted by the family.

Im learning new laws, ways of life in the Philippines and so just being alert. Many thanks for your help... Bet Wishes, 

@Bhavna Hi Bhavna and many thanks. Best Wishes...

From Bim Prasad. . . . Kinda girlfriend, as we have just started a relationship, even though we have known each other for  year. When it comes to money, I can survive, it a matter of what I do . Rental from my house isnt a problem, ive been working in the industry for 25 years. 

Every thing in life has its risks,  and have spoken to people who made major mistakes with there money, girlfriend, etc.. Im stil researching, so its not as if im going tommorow. 

Glad to hear you're still researching and you have plenty of time to do it.

@coach53 Hi and many thanks. My girlfriend has advised that 1.5 to 1.8M Peso you can build a small house out in he provience. Away from family, but have been told by the girlfriend that family dont need support , as have sisters who all work & brother. To be honest, this I prefer, dont like it to busy, pollution, rubbish, etc.... Thankfully I had home made vegan food and accepted by the family.

1f44d.svg

Im learning new laws, ways of life in the Philippines and so just being alert. Many thanks for your help... Bet Wishes, 
- @bimprasad
I did study Phls laws much some years ago in foreigners point of view mainly concerning real estates, taxes and allowed businesses (and a bit about inheritance) to figuere out how things can be solved for myself.   
You can ask.  Many "know" wrong about some things as foreigners possibility of owning (part of) land.
Others know more about  things as Visa and LTO (=vehicles and driver licences,)
@coach53

Yeah but would you instruct an Attorney who has passed their Law exams but never actually practiced ?
I'm impressed. May I enquire what the Swedish word is for 'Dilettante' ?

@pnwcyclist Hi and many thanks. Food for thought, I can kinda understand why some Philippine woman want to meet & get married quickly. Im not rushing into anything, lots of research and trips to Philippines. The way UK is going we will all be bankrupt, utter useless government & cost of living is  joke now, hence want outta here! Thanks again and best wishes.   

@bimprasad

A word of caution. The grass is always greener as they say. You use the phrase 'utter useless government'

Once you have been living in the Philippines for 6 months you will consider the UK government a paragon of efficiency.

As regards the cost of living the whole world is in an inflationary spiral for reasons I don't need to repeat here.

Many expats who have relocated to the Philippines have regrettably fallen flat on their proverbial faces and end up returning to their motherland often with their tail between their legs.

There are pluses and minuses. The Philippines as a country has much to recommend it but it is not the 'Garden of Eden' that it is often made out to be.

When you do land at Ninoy Aquino International remember to take your rose tinted shades off.

@pnwcyclist Hi and many thanks. Food for thought, I can kinda understand why some Philippine woman want to meet & get married quickly. Im not rushing into anything, lots of research and trips to Philippines. The way UK is going we will all be bankrupt, utter useless government & cost of living is  joke now, hence want outta here! Thanks again and best wishes.   

- @bimprasad

where  does your girlfriend live in the Philippines, I do not recall you mentioning this?

I also think that Lotus Eaters comments are good. Think about all the help the UK Government has given businesses and individually throughout  the covid  pandemic and with the rising cost of energy. Some people will always say it is never enough but can you see the Philippines handing out money like the UK Government is doing and has done recently.

'Google' : Here is what it says about the retirement feelings of many expats interviewed :
"After looking forward to this stage for so long, many retirees must deal with a feeling of letdown, similar to that of newlyweds once the honeymoon is over. Retirement isn't a permanent vacation after all; it also can bring loneliness, boredom, feelings of uselessness, and disillusionment."

Omo
So you just got to be as well prepared the best you possibly can....& always have a back up plan if things turn south.
I'm impressed. May I enquire what the Swedish word is for 'Dilettante' ?
- @Lotus Eater
So what?  Thats just an other FALSE BS insinuation by you. How come you or any of your few supporters NEVER have managed to show me wrong* otherwice...?   :D
(I remember I got corrected correct ONCE - my info about a Visa HAD been correct earlier - but I hadnt noticed it had changed - and it was NOT YOU who corrected me...
But you havent managed to "argue" about spelling and grammar instead of against what I wrote, I suppouse by you couldnt manage anything else...   :D

*Not counting if I were wrong when I wrote "if I remember correct" or such.

If you would have ment the first sentence, then you would have been right for once  1f923.svg    among all your BS,  lies and false insinuations against me... 
'Google' : Here is what it says about the retirement feelings of many expats interviewed :
"After looking forward to this stage for so long, many retirees must deal with a feeling of letdown, similar to that of newlyweds once the honeymoon is over. Retirement isn't a permanent vacation after all; it also can bring loneliness, boredom, feelings of uselessness, and disillusionment."
- @manwonder
I have noticed my closest friends in Sweden have startted to "die out" allready so fewer accessable to talk with. And some arent retired yet and have short of time.

So much better chance in Phils - if not screw up by chosing a bad woman -  by most Filipinos treat old people MUCH better than at caretaker homes in our home countries...
An alternative to risk to get a bad wife - if having bad "radar" for such - can be hireing a caretaker. They cost less than the fees to a caretaker home in Sweden and if they are bad then they are much easier replaced than a wife  1f923.svg

(But a disadvantage in Phils is compared to e g in Sweden is other health care almost free as long as not needing to stay in hospital/caretaking homes.)

Concerning avoiding such "retirement problems" if someone have such:
/An alternative can be starting something to assist poor Filipinos.  There are more alternatives than starting own business.
((No way I would start a new business in Sweden, but I am in startup of the second in Phils allready. (Testing how high quality we can make cheap.))
/An other is interacting with children  - before teenage  :)    Most kids are funny and they are many more in Phils and easier accessable by they are "everywhere"  :)   Toddlers can be communicated with WITHOUT knowing each others language by they use in big part body language anyway, and after a few years gap after toddler age they start to learn English early.
- @manwonder
I have noticed my closest friends in Sweden have startted to "die out" allready so fewer accessable to talk with. And some arent retired yet and have short of time.

So much better chance in Phils - if not screw up by chosing a bad woman -  by most Filipinos treat old people MUCH better than at caretaker homes in our home countries...
An alternative to risk to get a bad wife - if having bad "radar" for such - can be hireing a caretaker. They cost less than the fees to a caretaker home in Sweden and if they are bad then they are much easier replaced than a wife  1f923.svg

(But a disadvantage in Phils is compared to e g in Sweden is other health care almost free as long as not needing to stay in hospital/caretaking homes.)

/An alternative can be starting something to assist poor Filipinos.  There are more alternatives than starting own business.
((No way I would start a new business in Sweden, but I am in startup of the second in Phils allready. (Testing how high quality we can make cheap.))
/An other is interacting with children  - before teenage  smile.png    Most kids are funny and they are many more in Phils and easier accessable by they are "everywhere"  smile.png   Toddlers can be communicated with WITHOUT knowing each others language by they use in big part body language anyway, and after a few years gap after toddler age they start to learn English early.
- @coach53

You may want to reword the last part of your answer, the bit where you talk about interacting with children and especially the part that reads (easier accessible). I think I know what you mean but the way you have worded it could get you a knock on the door from the boys in blue (Police) if they saw it.
- @manwonder

/An other is interacting with children  - before teenage  smile.png    Most kids are funny and they are many more in Phils and easier accessable by they are "everywhere"  smile.png   Toddlers can be communicated with WITHOUT knowing each others language by they use in big part body language anyway, and after a few years gap after toddler age they start to learn English early.
- @coach53

You may want to reword the last part of your answer, the bit where you talk about interacting with children and especially the part that reads (easier accessible). I think I know what you mean but the way you have worded it could get you a knock on the door from the boys in blue (Police) if they saw it.
- @Cherryann01

I agree , his choice of words are questionable

Omo
So you just got to be as well prepared the best you possibly can....& always have a back up plan if things turn south.
- @manwonder
While I agree with you . . . .I never looked forward to retirement as I enjoyed what I was doing. I worked 14 years beyond retirement age and still would be working if I remained in the states.

What Google didn't say is senior retirees in the US tend to follow their spouse around the house and then try to supervise them on how to cook and clean.

I moved to the Philippines so my wife could be reunited with her family.

My retirement has brought reduced mental and physical abilities.
Hello everyone,

No more off-topic, please!

Some posts have been removed from this discussion.

Let's stay focused.

Thank you,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

1f600.svg1f600.svg1f600.svg1f600.svg1f600.svg  have a great morning

@Cheryl

I've been moderated again. Well it was good while it lasted ;)
- @bimprasad

I think you're kinda putting the cart before the horse when it comes to moving here with your kinda Filipino girlfriend.  Since you're not moving here until after a year or two (I would recommend after at least two years), may I suggest that you first visit the Philippines at least twice to see your kinda girlfriend in person. Perhaps consider visiting when the weather is at its worst: summer when it's so hot and at the height of the rainy season. Then decide on whether you'd want to move here.

Just my 2 cents.
Lotus Eater. . . . I have to correct your statement of : "A word of caution. The grass is always greener as they say. "

A small correction . . . .

The grass is always greener on the other guys grave.

@FilAmericanMom I intend to visit again next year, but either way plan is to live in the Philippines..