90 and 180 day rule

@abthree

Thank you so much for verifying that information. I'll be sure to update you on Monday after visiting the Federal Police.

@abthree,

Thank your for your response!  I checked my passport, and found that I am still under the 180-day limit.  I look forward to my return! 

@ltoby955 and Team,

Good morning from Virginia.  I have the same concern and, frankly, confusion over this rule.

My understanding: 

a).  VISA is good for 90-days, and extendable to 180-days,

b).  VISA is good for 365-days.

My confusion:

a).  is the VISA good for 180-days from the 'start date to an end date" 

or

b).  do you subtract actual 'in-country' days from the 180.  For example, I was in Brazil 10 days, so 180-10 = 170 more days in the next 365-days which I can use to enter Brazil??

Can someone help me please....   or send me the regulation or policy please, all help appreciated,

Matthew

02/04/24 @eeaanderson.  Welcome!  You are correct:  you subtract actual in-country days from 180, counting your day of arrival and day of departure as full days. 

As for this question:

"For example, I was in Brazil 10 days, so 180-10 = 170 more days in the next 365-days which I can use to enter Brazil??"

The answer depends on when you spent the days, and can be found by counting back from your next planned arrival date.  Immigration looks at your record in a rolling twelve month window; each time a new month starts, the oldest month drops off.  So if, for example, you are planning on returning to Brazil on April 1, 2024, and you spent ten days in Brazil during December, 2023, then yes, when you arrive you'll have a maximum of 170 days to spend here.  But if you spend those ten days in Brazil in March 2023, then when you arrive on April 1, 2024 you'll have 180 days available:  March 2023 will have just dropped off your record, and those ten days will be available to you again. 

Thanks so much, I appreciate the explanation immeasurably....Matt

Is the cut off date the 1st (or maybe last) day of the month  for 180 days or is it based on a folling 365 days?

After spending 180 days in Brazil, could I return to Brazil 185 days later regardless of which day in the month I left?

02/04/24  Is the cut off date the 1st (or maybe last) day of the month  for 180 days or is it based on a folling 365 days?After spending 180 days in Brazil, could I return to Brazil 185 days later regardless of which day in the month I left?        -@Drjmagic

I've always understood the calendar to flip on the first of each month, i.e., NOT be personalized.  In that case, a visitor who was in Brazil from January 15, 2023 to July 15, 2023 would be denied entry if she tried to return on January 20, 2024, because the lookback would still show 180 days used.  That's the rule I always followed (perhaps out of an abundance of caution) when counting days was a necessary part of my life, but it may just be day-counter lore.  I've never seen it in writing anywhere.  If anyone's been an accidental test case, I hope that they'll post about their experience, positive or negative.

02/04/24 Can someone help me please....   or send me the regulation or policy please, all help appreciated,

Matthew   

-@eeeaanderson

The most easily available authoritative document that I know of is the Quadro Geral de Regime de Vistos, the GQRV.  You'll find it here in Portuguese and English:

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/assuntos/p … -no-brasil

The QGRV is used by both the Consulates and the Polícia Federal and it's informative, but not always easy to interpret.  For example, you can only tell if a stay can be extended by the presence or absence of a "*" in the VIVIS column:  a "*" means "no extension allowed".

The Portuguese version is authoritative, so before depending on the English version, make sure to check it against the corresponding line on the Portuguese version.  There's a significant typo with respect to France in the English version, and there may be others.