Caravan or tents

Has anyone ever seen a caravan or camper van  in the Philippines? Or a camp site with tents
Hi Kevin,

In what region in particular ?

Regards,
Bhavna
Any part of the Philippines
I saw a bicycle sidecar camper in Manila.

R6wvvL.jpg
Has anyone ever seen a caravan or camper van  in the Philippines? Or a camp site with tents
- @kevin4586

Yes. One of my neighbors has an RV van.
Here's one :

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ocSGIebQom8 … ture=share
On the island of Cebu there are some camping venues in the mountain areas that have tents. Some also allow you pitch your own tent. They all charge, some more, some less but most are reasonable. One had a guard, some have food. One spot was just past West 35 on the TransCentral Hwy, Osmeña Peak is another, along with San Fernando (Cebu) I believe. It is definitely cooler in the mountains. Best place to check is Facebook, that's how my GF finds these places.

The height of insanity is a place above Dalaguete that charges over $100/night to stay in a teepee. Yeah we did it, haha.. I just had to try it. They are very large, fully equipped, and spread out on beautiful grounds on wood platforms. But while service was good the restaurant was undergoing renovation and the food that was available was not great. And TV broadcast at night on a big screen.. wtf.. noisy Filipinos in other tents blabbing until past midnight. Other than that it was fine, lol. But wouldn't do it again.
I cannot resist posting this teaser link to a British movie released in 1969 - Carry On Camping. This will surprise our American friends but the 'Carry On' series of movies regularly outgrossed at the Box Office the Bond movies during that decade. My Mum took me to see this movie in Scarborough at the local Cinema (Theatre). Hilarious.

Coincidentally my neighbour and his Filipina wife are camping in the county of Devon as I write this. So I sent the link below to them 1f923.svg

youtube.com/watch?v=lFGWrL5FJ9Q
Youtube is packed with videos about people converting normal light vans into campers. Zero build things that people stuff a mattress in and bung a specially designed tent over the tailgate. I've seen a good few cars done the same.
Caravans are a pain in the bottom, especially in lousy traffic.

@pnwcyclist How about staying at a hot spring "resort" where everyone got drunk and blasted karaoke ALL night until dawn. Shittiest resort I have ever experienced. Literally could not sleep in our room near the karaoke and the pool. I cannot understand why Filipinos think that is cool.

Its just a different culture, Timo.. as I am constantly reminded. They value the camaraderie more than they mind the noise, apparently. It's noisy almost everywhere here, with rare exceptions, so most know nothing of true quiet and solitude, something I place a high value on.

@Lotus Eater I loved the carry on films carry on up the jungle being my favourite 🤩

I brought all the dads army cds over to the Philippines the locals loved them

Timo: .. staying at a hot spring "resort" where everyone got drunk and

blasted karaoke ALL night until dawn .. Literally could not sleep in our

room near the karaoke  - @Timo62

`
You have our sympathies Timo 1f600.svg

Must say however, as you know, Karaoke is undoubtedly an integral part of the Philippines culture. Filipinos are brought up surrounded by singing.

For many, it has become a normal pastime of everyday life. If visitors come to the house, they will quite often sing together, or if it's a special occasion they will sing as part of the celebrations. No matter what country you are in, you'll often find that in Filipino homes there will be a karaoke system.

However, karaoke is still so popular that we now increasingly have local news reports such as the following ..

Quote: "This Province in the Philippines Has a Hotline for Reporting Noisy Karaoke Singers"

It's no secret Filipinos love karaoke. But one governor said the hotline would help confront noisy singers, especially those who are “drunk and out of tune.

In the Philippines, it is not uncommon to see people singing kareoke in malls, restaurants, and even on the streets in alcohol-fueled parties that last well into the night.

But it's become such a nuisance that several provinces have established ordinances banning karaoke after a certain hour, and now one has introduced a hotline to report noisy singers.

On Monday, Sept. 14, Governor Jonvic Remulla of Cavite province shared some pretty stern words against karaoke singers.

“[Karaoke] is a favourite hobby of those who can't find anything to do from night until dawn,” he said in Filipino.

“Sorry but even if you say you're inside your house, the noise it makes can be considered a violation of curfew hours.”

"In recent weeks many in Cavite have lodged noise complaints because of excessive kareoke use. So from now on, if someone feels their neighbour is making too much of a ruckus, they can contact the Philippine National Police (PNP) Action Line."

“Please text +63 916 916 986 0679 your grievances and concerns to lessen and stop good for nothings and noisy ones who sing, especially those who are drunk and out of tune,” the governor's post reads.

He reminded residents that those who refuse to comply with the curfew and social distancing measures can be charged and taken to the police station on the spot.

Although there seems to be a recent rise in noise complaints, over-enthusiastic karaoke sessions is a long-standing issue in Cavite. In March 2017, the province passed a noise ordinance that limits the use of noisy karaoke systems in residential areas, public streets, and roadsides.

Karaoke is only allowed from 10 AM to 10 PM in residential areas. In other permitted areas, it is allowed from 9 AM to 10 PM or until 12:00 MN on Friday and Saturday evenings, and during fiestas and special holidays.

“Unfortunately, it is not possible to arrest and report noisy chickens and barking dogs to the PNP Action Line,” Remulla joked in a tweet.

--
Is it not a damning indictment that in order to enjoy the toneless sounds of Karaoke music you have to be intoxicated. Its like Techno music in nightclubs - unless you're pissed or on drugs (most are) the rhythmless inane bland nature of the music would bore you to tears. The high volume sanitises an inferior product. Take away the alcohol and you take away the 'joy' of Karaoke whether it be Japanese businessmen bonding after work or Filipino families getting together.

The Philippines have some of the most talented natural singers in the world and yet the only time the vast majority of them get to sing (outside of Hotel Lobby Lounges) is Karaoke get togethers.

Occasionally though one breaks out onto the international music scene to prove their true unadulterated talent as illustrated in the link below.
youtube.com/watch?v=I9yaMfwYFtA

@Lotus Eater I have never heard a sweet voice like that singing in the Philippines before during my 5 visits. Every Filipino I have heard singing sounds like the worst of the worst from Britain's Got Talent or Pop Idol and my singing voice is no better either.

Whats there to lose guys?....You are after all are in the Philippines; so just sing along & see the end results it really helps 'breaking the ice' (imo)...Infact all you especially the English speaking guys are the ones who can actually pronounce the words in these songs correctly & so with a little extra rythm in your souls you may Infact let many realize that nobody just sings rubbish loudly without passion nor the understanding of the words in the song ...& it turns out that many finally actually realize that they were not as good as they thought they were & go on to improve their singing tone/pronunciation with their voice volume in check....hehehe.
Infact I still have our expat meet ups together with their families/kids where we blast the karoke singing/dancing accompanied with a laser light display way into the night.
So yes we do contribute our fair share of noise.

1f923.svg

The Philippines have some of the most talented natural singers in the world and yet the only time the vast majority of them get to sing (outside of Hotel Lobby Lounges) is Karaoke get togethers.

Occasionally though one breaks out onto the international music scene to prove their true unadulterated talent as illustrated in the link below.
youtube.com/watch?v=I9yaMfwYFtA
- @Lotus Eater

A Filipino who truly broke out onto the international music scene is Lea Salonga. She was the same batch as I at Ateneo de Manila,  taking up BS Biology as a pre-med course. In her second year, she dropped out of university to perform in Miss Saigon at West End. For her role, she won multiple awards including a Tony Award and an Olivier Award. She is also the singing voice of Princess Jasmine in Aladdin and Mulan.

Here's a video of her singing On My Own (Les Miserables). Absolutely incredible.

youtube.com/watch?v=VjfmP7h3gBw
Thank you for that link FiliAm Mom. What a powerful voice. I saw Miss Saigon many years ago but Les Miserables is on the must see list!
Magnificent!
Feck me from caravans to miss Saigon I am impressed 1f600.svg
Feck me from caravans to miss Saigon I am impressed 1f600.svg
- @kevin4586

Miss Saigon in a caravan seeing your first two words become reality?

Also, caravans are safer in earthquakes.
Other options - Imagination is your limit

rooftop-tents-1654012947.jpg?crop=1.00xw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf4lngIjdNyz8J3v-6GO_

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUe9WOyHUJIUL_41O3aAA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4wIsGc1F-17f0DYG439O
To bring the subject back to tents and caravans, I am not sure it is an experience I would want and think tents in particular are for youngsters. I loved it when I was a kid and used to go with the scouts in Yorkshire. I remember one fun weekend camping at a lovely place called Appletreewick. Great times camping by the river, cooking on an open fire and swimming and canoeing in the river.

After reading another topic (No Toilet paper in the Philippines), I would not even want to think what the toilet blocks would be like if there were any camping sites in  the Philippines and I guess if they were really bad, most people would probably just squat behind a tree to avoid the filth and the smell and standing in any unwanted human waste.
After reading another topic (No Toilet paper in the Philippines), I would not even want to think what the toilet blocks would be like if there were any camping sites in  the Philippines and I guess if they were really bad, most people would probably just squat behind a tree to avoid the filth and the smell and standing in any unwanted human waste.
- @Cherryann01

51adZhDpUJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

61PzvJzW4VL._AC_SX679_.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGQ2Ye9Qgu2pqo2l0T7Mu

You can also make your own with an old stool, a cheap toilet seat, a bucket, and a plastic bag.

- @Fred

It may be safer in earthquakes, but not in typhoons or floods, which happen here a lot more often than earthquakes here in the Philippines.

- @Fred

It may be safer in earthquakes, but not in typhoons or floods, which happen here a lot more often than earthquakes here in the Philippines.
- @FilAmericanMom

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRD1R3liVEDQjjWQ9C-vfV
You can also make your own with an old stool, a cheap toilet seat, a bucket, and a plastic bag.
- @Fred

I see you were a Blue Peter aficionado. Val Singleton would be proud of you Fred ;)
see you were a Blue Peter aficionado. Val Singleton would be proud of you Fred ;😂😂😂😂😂
- @Fred

I see you were a Blue Peter aficionado. Val Singleton would be proud of you Fred wink.png
- @Lotus Eater

Magpie was rubbish.

@Fred But did you get a Blue Peter Badge, that is the question. Regarding Magpie, yes it was pap but I had a crush on Jenny Hanley at the time.

@Fred But did you get a Blue Peter Badge, that is the question. Regarding Magpie, yes it was pap but I had a crush on Jenny Hanley at the time.

- @Cherryann01

Not a badge to be seen, but I think I watched almost every episode .. and I saw John's bare bottom
I realise this is sad but did anyone get a Crackerjack pencil? 1f61c.svg
I realise this is sad but did anyone get a Crackerjack pencil? 1f61c.svg
- @Lotus Eater No but I  used to know somebody who got gunged on Tiswas and yes I had a crush on Sally James also haha

Just saw a you tube video of a woman Glamping near the beach at a place called Nacpan, El Nido and the accommodation looked good, even had air con.

@Cherryann01 heading there in 2 weeks!  😎👍🏻

Nacpan is great!