Maintaining US phone while in Brazil

@mikehunter Thanks for providing so much great insight on this topic Mike.

I have a couple clarifying questions if you get the time...

Do you have one US phone number that you ported to Google Voice? And so the same number works both in the US and Brazil regardless of the sim card you're using? (Claro or T-Mobile)

Do you also use WhatsApp? Did you connect to WhatsApp using the same USA phone number? (or did you connect using Brazil number you got with Claro?)

Are you able to get two-factor authentication SMS messages on Google Voice App?

Thanks again!

@MCG13 I think he was referring to Google Fi, the phone carrier service where Google Voice is a VoIP type of service that also does great call forwarding.

Google Voice, at least with me, accepts maybe half of the one time passcodes via SMS. With WhatsApp I have to use the call option instead of SMS. You'll want an actual phone service for one time passcodes as many of them don't send them to VoIP lines. I use T-Mobile. I get warnings fairly often about being outside of the US but they've never shut me down

@mikehunter Thanks for providing so much great insight on this topic Mike.
I have a couple clarifying questions if you get the time...

Do you have one US phone number that you ported to Google Voice? And so the same number works both in the US and Brazil regardless of the sim card you're using? (Claro or T-Mobile

My GV number is a legacy number for when they were Grand Central, i.e. wasn't attached to any carrier. At one time I merged Google Voice and Fi, but now I've dropped Fi and just using GV with a T-mobile prepaid plan when in the USA. If you're asking if you can port a number to GV, yes you can if you wish... I believe however that Google will charge you like $25 or something to do that.

When I arrive in Brasil I swap my SIM to Claro. GV continues to work. If someone calls my US number, my phone will ring, and I place US calls using the GV app.

Do you also use WhatsApp? Did you connect to WhatsApp using the same USA phone number? (or did you connect using Brazil number you got with Claro?)

Yes, I have whatsapp. I also use Telegram. Both services are associated with my GV number. The only number I give out to businesses, friends, etc. is my GV number. No one knows my T-Mobile number.

Are you able to get two-factor authentication SMS messages on Google Voice App?

Yes, but as @okcummings mentioned, sometimes, (for me not often) it doesn't work.  I believe it has to do with not wanting to send to a VoIP number for some reason, but that's kind of silly, since SMS is notoriously insecure in the first place. An easy workaround for that is to either use something like Google Authenticator, or the app from the company on your phone. For example, many US banks or services just send a message to your phone app and ask "Is that you"? Transferwise and Capital One do that, or they'll give you an option of a voice call.  I've found that if you don't answer it goes to voicemail.  Also many times businesses allow those codes to be sent to email addresses. It hasn't been a problem for me, since if you are aware of the issue you can work around it.

@MCG13 I think he was referring to Google Fi, the phone carrier service where Google Voice is a VoIP type of service that also does great call forwarding.
Google Voice, at least with me, accepts maybe half of the one time passcodes via SMS. With WhatsApp I have to use the call option instead of SMS. You'll want an actual phone service for one time passcodes as many of them don't send them to VoIP lines. I use T-Mobile. I get warnings fairly often about being outside of the US but they've never shut me down
-@okcummings

I was a Fi user at one time, but found that it's much cheaper for me to just use GV and prepaid plans (both in the US and Brasil).

@MCG13 Interesting post.  What's App is used predominately in Brazil; you will see it on business signs all over town. It is best to keep the Brazilian number you get. You will confuse any Brazilian contact if you use an American phone number even if you can.

I really like the idea of a dual sim card. I am going to get an I Phone 12 when I go to the US for my fingerprinting. One really good phone would be great to call in Brazil and to the U.S.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@roddiesho Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it!

Are you recommending setting up a WhatsApp account using the local Brazil phone number I get with a local sim card?

WhatsApp only allows you to create one account using one phone number on one phone. So if I created a WhatsApp account using local Brazil number, then all of my other current WhatsApp contacts wouldn't be able to reach me since my WhatsApp is currently linked to me US number.

Maybe I'm missing something here...I'm far from an expert on this subject matter...thanks for your help!

@mikehunter So much great info. Mike, thanks again! 

Please correct me if I'm wrong...but does this summarize your setup accurately?

In the US and Brazil:

You make and receive all of your calls using GV. (you could use WhatsApp as well)

You make and receive all of your calls while on Wifi.

You use GV and WhatsApp for "text" messages.

You use Claro for data when in Brazil and T-Mobile prepaid in USA. Both of these plans come with a phone number, but you don't actively use those phone numbers (but you could if you needed to when not connected to wifi).

Hope I got it right but feel free to correct me where I'm wrong. Thanks for all of your time and insight!

@mikehunter So much great info. Mike, thanks again!
Please correct me if I'm wrong...but does this summarize your setup accurately?

In the US and Brazil:
You make and receive all of your calls using GV. (you could use WhatsApp as well)
You make and receive all of your calls while on Wifi.

Actually, I use Telegram more than WhatsApp.  It's a better app IMHO, but that's personal preference.

You use GV and WhatsApp for "text" messages.

Again, I uses Telegram, but do have WhatsApp installed.  As of late, all I get on WhatsApp is weird spam messages, that I end up blocking.  Of course it all depends on your contacts.  So far, I've found my Brasiilan contacts have Telegram installed.  The did it during the WhatsApp outages.

You use Claro for data when in Brazil and T-Mobile prepaid in USA. Both of these plans come with a phone number, but you don't actively use those phone numbers (but you could if you needed to when not connected to wifi).

Correct.  I've also found that WiFi is becoming more pervasive.  It's available on the buses here in Sao Paulo, and I've yet to find a restaurant or bar that doesn't have it.  So my prepaid Claro of 12Gb / month is more than enough for me.

Hope I got it right but feel free to correct me where I'm wrong. Thanks for all of your time and insight!
-@MCG13

No problem.  Glad I could help.

@roddiesho Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it!
Are you recommending setting up a WhatsApp account using the local Brazil phone number I get with a local sim card?

WhatsApp only allows you to create one account using one phone number on one phone. So if I created a WhatsApp account using local Brazil number, then all of my other current WhatsApp contacts wouldn't be able to reach me since my WhatsApp is currently linked to me US number.

I haven't had an issue with using my USA based Whatsapp number when I need to communicate with businesses in Brazil.  One thing nice about Telegram is that you can have multiple accounts active on your phone at the same time, i.e. if you wish you can have a Brazilian account and a US account.  I don't do that however.  On my phone currently that is using a Claro chip, my whatsapp and telegram are registered with my GV number.  As I mentioned in the previous post I never give out my T-Mobile number.  Here in Brazil however I do use my Claro # for my BB account, but that is it.  BB also has my GV number.

Maybe I'm missing something here...I'm far from an expert on this subject matter...thanks for your help!
-@MCG13

@mikehunter very helpful! Thank you Mike.

@MCG13 If you can convert your Brazilian contacts to the new What's App number that would be good. This is primarily for new contacts; the older ones are used to your American number. It's up to you, but I appreciate the advice on the two sim cards.

@rnbtg

The best solution I could find for "all" of my telecom needs is this.

1) To phone back to USA I use a XMPP protocol. It is the most up to date, quality, secure, and cheapest VOIP phone number you can get with the company I use.

I can send you a link privately if you want to try it for 30 days without providing any of your info.

Here is what is included at current rate of $2.99 USD per month.

*Unlimited Free inbound/outbound text messages to USA/Canada. This works perfectly for my US bank text verifications!

*2 Hours Voice Talk time inbound and outbound to USA & Canada.

But you can also use your 120 minutes to call other countries but at different rates.

After that it costs less than $ 0.0087 per minute which is less than 1 cent to call USA/Canada.
I highly doubt you will ever find cheaper.
I used to use Google Voice for free for more than 10 years but am cutting the cord with them for a few reasons. By the way Free is not really free. You pay in other ways besides money.
Also with my XMPP VOIP number like I just said, I can call other countries for different rates. They have a rate chart.
But since I'm in Brasil now I use a TIM cell SIM card that gives me for $10 BRL per month unlimited calls to Brasil with 1 GB data, so that's plenty for me.
In past I worked in the Telecom field. Plus I have also used: Magic Jack, Vonage, Skype, Google Voice, and more for phone calls.
So it can be noted that I probably know a little bit more than the avg person when it comes to phone stuff.
My set up is now: A Samsung A52s which is customized by me.
I personally removed all apps that came preinstalled that I feel invade my privacy, and switched them with 95% apps that are all Free Open Sourced (FOSS).
I use JitsiMeet and Signal for Video Conference or phone calls between friends and family that have the same apps.
But for business phone numbers for banks, credit cards, airlines, hotels, etc I use my VOIP number which I have been using for about 8 months and love.
Someone I know gave me a free trial (which is by invitation only) and I liked it so much that I decided to take the plunge and spend the $2.99 per month.
I then installed a free app in my phone to make and receive the calls and texts.
It works on Android, iphone, and computers. The best part is that it syncs with all your devices and you can use it either with or both WiFi or Cellular towers.
Yes, there are other options out there like Google Voice but for me this works.
Oh, you can also text to all countries for free too.
Took me more than 1 year to find it by the way, after tons of research.

So far I have sent text messages for free to USA, Mexico, and Brasil.

And with the apps I used so far with the VOIP # they never dropped a single call yet, like Google Voice always did.

I have iPhone with a US based SIM card and a Brazilian eSIM.   I use my  US based number with WhatsApp and my Brazilian number with WhatsApp Business.   No problems.    I send and receive text and calls on either line.  You can set which is primary, which is used for data, etc.   

I bought an Ooma VOIP phone in the US and set it up there with a US number.  When I got to Brazil, I plugged it in and now have a traditional US "home phone" with voicemail.  I can make and receive calls to USA for less than $20 per month.

My model doesn't do text messages, but maybe others do.  Does anyone know if TEXT can travel via VOIP?

@randall78 AFAIK only the OOMA Business offering supports text messages. The consumer base service or Premier does not. You can however integrate with Google Voice by using the GV Integration which is explained here: https://support.ooma.com/home/google-voice-extensions/

I've had OOMA since the very beginning for my US Voice service. In Brazil, I use GV via my cell phone to call the US and support text messages.

I use a service called Mint Mobile.  You must own your phone outright, but for either $15/month or if, like me, you have been going to the USA more than 3 times a year, I just go ahead and have the $30/month plan which gives me unlimited data and voice in the USA without having to call and change to that (which can take several hours to get in place) for a one-time payment of $360/year.  I use it primarily for 2-factor authentication and it even works for expert flyer flight alerts over the T-Mobile network, something I just discovered if you are a frequent flyer type.

I find it IMPERATIVE to have a Brazilian +55 number here that will do ordinary 2-factor authentication and use both on the same iPhone 13., so I had to choose which number to use WhatsApp and I chose the USA number.  I also never use the mint mobile for data, but use the Vivo # for that purpose, and for about $20/month it more than meets my needs.  Most people use WhatsApp and they don't seem to care if it's a US or Brazilian WhatsApp number.  This has been a real money saver for me because when I first moved down here I was ONLY using T-mobile and my bills were close to $150 / month as I call the USA frequently.  With Skype, the Brazil-->USA cost per month is an unlimited fee of $3.49 I think (it used to be $2.99).  You have to have good internet for this to work well.  Again, I use fiber optic Vivo in my apartment and it's arguably better than the $150/month plan I had in the USA, for no more than $30/month, and for me, it is unlimited since I use a fraction of the data allowed.  You can even have it populate your USA number for caller ID which is great, or you can choose not to do that as you prefer, with a few keystrokes.  Claro was very snotty to me in the Frei Caneca mall in Sao Paulo and said my CPF was locked, a statement that seems absurd, I looked into it, and was patently untrue.  It takes a while for the CPF to populate so that you can receive Brazilian credit cards, but my Bradesco hookup allowed me to get a Visa and an American Express immediately once I had an apartment address with a signed lease and the RNM card, as well as proof of income from the USA.  Keep plugging away and you will eventually find someone that will be helpful.  I hear that HSBC is also good for foreigners here.  I have discovered a few frequent flyer cards here that are of value (livero points are of limited value, due to the fact they only transfer to United in the USA at a clip of 4 livero points=1 United Airlines point, not a good value at all.

The Itu Azul Visa Infinite card seems excellent, includes very top-tier diamond status with Azul, and gives you Star Alliance Gold status, so you can use any Star Alliance Gold club while traveling for a fraction of what it would cost for an annual membership.  It also seems to be the one card that if you charge 20K/reals for 3 months they bump you 60K EXTRA Azul points, perfect for those traveling internationally out of VCP/Campinas, and the points never expire.  Also good for US fliers is the Santander Black M/C which requires a 20K/month income, but if you open a checking account it drops down to 12.5K/month and again costs a fraction of what a black Master card would cost in the USA.  I have yet to acquire either of those cards, but since my CPF has been told to me by,my Bradesco banker to be "clean" and finally has a 16K monthly figure for income, I should be able to get at least one of these cards.  Like everything in Brazil, it's slow.  This is after 2 years of charging with Bradesco monthly cards and moving at least 2K/month down here through wise and/or remitly, both decent.   The one huge problem I had was with "Banco Daycoer" as the transfer "agent."  The require a plethora of forms and it took a week for a 7K transaction to be effectuated.  Advice is to call remitly and ask for ANY other transfer agent other than "Banco Daycover."  If you need to transfer more than 60K/180 days, the suggestion I have been given is to send in a casdestro and wait a day so you are totally upfront and they have no reason to delay your transfer.   

SORRY THIS POST IS A LOT MORE THAN CELL PHONES, BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE ALL THE TIPS I COULD IN ONE PLACE. 

Indeed, both of the mentioned transfer companies require 2-factor authentication, so keep that in mind, winding back to the original call phone issue. 

Thanks for reading and I hope this gives some people a push start with getting their cell phone bill down to a manageable level and internet service review.  *** or better ***.  Roderick

Moderated by Bhavna 6 months ago
Reason : Please share contact details through private message by clicking on the member's photo > send a message
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Great post thanks am not in Brazil yet but like the information

i have ATT Prime or something like that.  i can use my american cell phone plan everywhere in brazil.  I dont even need a brazilian plan at all but i do have a Vivo ESim.

Its more expensive for sure but i can maintain my american number and have great coverage everywhere in brazil

@MCG13 Just as a quick update,  my I Phone 12 can be reached by my Verizon phone number as well as my What's App phone number. My What's App chats are on whichever phone I use, they don't carry over, so I only use the I Phone 12 for chats. I get more than I would like calls from the local police union wanting me to donate. They come in on my American phone number.  I can call the USA with Verizon if I activate the 24 hour travel pass that day ($10). My average Verizon bill is $150 a month.

@rnbtg , get an internet number from your desired USA area cold,  being able to make and receive calls as if your in The States calling from a landline.

I'm moving to Brazil this year with my wife, after > 30 years living in the US. We're keeping our phones and US numbers as well. The only issue I'm currently experiencing is to create a customer's profile in a Brazilian store over the internet. The Brazilian electronic form doesn't accept the US number format, giving me the message "must use a valid phone number". So, I'm using my brother's phone number to create the profile. Just be aware of that - creating any profile in Brazil with a US number, might give you an error.

@Roger Fonseca Santos

Yes I found that a internet number is great to keep in touch in North America,  call and receive calls while I have a internet connection and if I don't I can get the voice message when I get one. However, for things in brazil I had to use my wife's phone number.

While I was in Ghana Africa, I was told they can call and receive worldwide. That was in 2014. And I did receive calls from there in the US as proof, although I could not call them from the US due to my carrier.

Since 2021 I have my US phone, PCS Metro, which can call and receive calls from the US as long as I have an Internet connection. This also allows me to receive WhatsApp calls from Brazil as well.

We also maintain a Brazilian phone through Vivo.

While in the US last year, I spoke to an AT&T salesman who told me I could get service in Brazil from US numbers through cellphone internet but I know nothing more about how it works though it looked good (I currently pay $25/month for PCS Metro (T-Mobile) and the AT&T would have been more expensive.

Cell phone service in Brazil has been notoriously bad even to the point of one server being unable to call another.

This works for us for now.

Everybody in Brazil uses Whatsapp, so all you need is an internet connection and you can call the world for free... from any smart phone.

Vonage = expensive but it works. Had my same phone number since about 2001

Skype-phone = Cheap and works but depending on connection can drop when you've been on hold for an eternity.

Whatsapp = only works when the "other side" uses Whatsapp and it seems a rare find someone willing to do that

Google Voice = free but requires a working USA phone to authorize use (which I do on my Vonage line)

About the ONLY time I need to use a USA line is to talk to the IRS or Social Security. It should just be easier!

mberigan

01/11/24    Vonage = expensive but it works. Had my same phone number since about 2001
Skype-phone = Cheap and works but depending on connection can drop when you've been on hold for an eternity.
Whatsapp = only works when the "other side" uses Whatsapp and it seems a rare find someone willing to do that
Google Voice = free but requires a working USA phone to authorize use (which I do on my Vonage line)
About the ONLY time I need to use a USA line is to talk to the IRS or Social Security. It should just be easier!
mberigan

-@mberigan

Agree completely.  I use the Vonage line to talk to my credit card companies, my financial advisor, and Social Security (in Lisbon -- the connection is great), but if I use it six times a year, that's a lot.  It's definitely an extravagance that I keep more for sentimental reasons than anything else.

WhatsApp -- most of my family and all of my friends abroad use it for texting, and their phone connections have gotten MUCH better than they used to be.  Use it for most calls within Brazil and to/from third countries, too.  Family calls moved to Zoom during the pandemic, and will probably be staying there.

@roddiesho Quick Update. They switched me to another All Th Time Protram, so I only pay around $100 a month and do not have to worry about travel pass. ]

Roddie In Retirement1f575.svg