Healthcare

Hi as per my introduction we are looking to retire to Malta & our biggest concern will be healthcare for my wife who is 61 years old &  who has a number of disabilities & conditions.She is an Irish National & Irish passport holder and has been living in the UK for the last 58 years.

Private Health Insurance would be expensive because of her underlying conditions which also maybe excluded as well so I wondered what state health care if any she will be entitled to in Malta.

Any help on this appreciated
immediately after you have registered for residence over here you have to apply for National health care over here in Malta. This has to be done with the entitlement unit of the Maltese health authority.

The entitlement unit of the National Health Service will issue a certificate that entitles you and your wife

for free treatment in all public health centres.

Just bring along a certificate from your present health care provider as proof of entitlement. As your wife is from Ireland this means she would need such a certificate from Ireland which is a member of the EU
Hi as per my introduction we are looking to retire to Malta & our biggest concern will be healthcare for my wife who is 61 years old &  who has a number of disabilities & conditions.She is an Irish National & Irish passport holder and has been living in the UK for the last 58 years.

Private Health Insurance would be expensive because of her underlying conditions which also maybe excluded as well so I wondered what state health care if any she will be entitled to in Malta.

Any help on this appreciated
- @Pidge22

Have you visited Malta?  If your wife needs to use a wheelchair with her disabilities you may find Malta not to be suitable as a lot of the pavements are very narrow and tend to stop and start a lot, also it's quite hilly in places.
When you do look for property try Gozo,  it's cheaper and quieter then Malta.

@Pidge22 hi.  I'm not sure how it works for a retiree but I know that I'd you're paying NI here then you're entitled to full public healthcare. 

The public system is excellent (the best I've seen, and I've used both the Australian and UK public health systems over the years - I've been advised that most Maltese don't have private health owing to how good the public system is).

If you have a British passport then you'd be able to access the Reciprocal Health Agreement (RHA) which provides for most but not all access to the health system here.  (I don't know that RHA covers ongoing / longer term ailments).

Not sure about how it works for other EU member states.  The Entitlements office should be able to officially advise.
You really need to check government websites and do your research for all this stuff.

As to the health issue. I'm lrish, have just moved to Malta.  It is simply a case of applying for your Malta ID card if your a member of EU. You need to show proof of residence etc for this. When you get the ID or temporary number you can access public healthcare. In the meantime GPS only charge 15 - 20 euro. But medication is v expensive.

I have no clue about British rights in Malta since ye left the EU.

Like l said, do your research before you come.

You really need to check government websites and do your research for all this stuff.

As to the health issue. I'm lrish, have just moved to Malta.  It is simply a case of applying for your Malta ID card if your a member of EU. You need to show proof of residence etc for this. When you get the ID or temporary number you can access public healthcare. In the meantime GPS only charge 15 - 20 euro. But medication is v expensive.

Like l said, do your research before you come.

- @deirdrehickey

You apply for a residence card not a Malta ID card.

Would apply as a EU spouse and get basically full EU rights, its quite a easy process.

Would apply as a EU spouse and get basically full EU rights, its quite a easy process.
-

This means your wife applies for residency as a EU citizen and you apply as a EU spouse.
Thankyou so much for all the replies and that gives me a much better idea of what to do....this is all very daunting & I am so pleased I have found this forum...

It would have all been so much more easier & straightforward if it wasn't for Brexit!
Thankyou so much for all the replies and that gives me a much better idea of what to do....this is all very daunting & I am so pleased I have found this forum...

It would have all been so much more easier & straightforward if it wasn't for Brexit!
- @Pidge22

Applying for residence as an EU citizen you still need your health cover in place before residence card/ID is issued. Not sure whether health care would come under UK NHS having lived there for 58 years or Ireland being an Irish citizen. With the UK NHS, if not receiving State Pension then use the RHA, if in receipt of a UK state pension then apply using the S1 route.

If employed here and paying in to the system then health cover is the same as a Maltese national.

The RHA only gives basic cover but is OK for eResidence card. Also keep in mind only a short list of essential prescribed medicines are available on free prescription.
@F0xgl0ve thanks for that information this is relly helpfull ,its unlikely I will be working and we are not at stae pension yet but will be in a couple of years.....will look into the RHA form ...i will make some enquiries if we can go down if its through Ireland as a passport holder & citizen or UK as the main country of residence for many years...thats where my main confusion is really as we are assuming applying for residency under my wifes Irish nationallity will be easier

thanks
I did mention earlier, have you visited Malta?   If not before you decide to move here It would be advisable to have a holiday first.

@GozoMo Hi we are planning to have a holiday in Malta in the next few weeks to make our final decision .....

@GozoMo Hi we are planning to have a holiday in Malta in the next few weeks to make our final decision .....

- @Pidge22

When you do have your holiday spend sometime in Gozo as well.