Presidential Election - changes for expats?

Do you anticipate changes (good or bad) for expats here with the new administration? I know it's impossible to predict. Just wondering if there are informed opinions out there.

I'm now on a tourist visa, since balikbayan expired. Working on 13A requirements (NBI clearance, etc).

Thanks,

Billy in CDO
The good thing about being an expat, you can leave, Filipinos must get government approval, before going abroad, they can be stuck here
@BillyJack CDO

There will be changes, this is certain.  whether it is for good or for bad is a matter of subjective view if your values align with that of the incoming administration. We probably won't see any policy changes that affect us directly anytime soon.

On a personal note, if i were able to vote,  BBM would not earned mine, that is for sure.

He does not represent anything I consider Presidential-worthy. Especially if you consider the History of His Family. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will do his best to do good, but he has much to do to earn the regard of the Filipino people.

Let's remember that there are serious considerations of a Lockdown again in the coming month or so.  What he mandates may be a telling sign how he handles future crisis.
No coment to this subject    :)
@BillyJack CDO

There will be changes, this is certain.  whether it is for good or for bad is a matter of subjective view if your values align with that of the incoming administration. We probably won't see any policy changes that affect us directly anytime soon.

On a personal note, if i were able to vote,  BBM would not earned mine, that is for sure.

He does not represent anything I consider Presidential-worthy. Especially if you consider the History of His Family. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will do his best to do good, but he has much to do to earn the regard of the Filipino people.

Let's remember that there are serious considerations of a Lockdown again in the coming month or so.  What he mandates may be a telling sign how he handles future crisis.
- @kristopherryanwatson
I was watching ABS/CBN news and they were expecting better relations with the US with Marcos being elected. Cerberus Capital Management purchased Subic Bay for a rumored $300 million USD. I don't know if the US has any expectations for the Clark AFB.

Let the good times roll in Angeles City again.

I don't see much change, the country is controlled by 7 or 8 billionaires, ever wonder why there are so many workers standing around in the stores, I am sure these owners have been in a Walmart, it is the Government and the company working to keep wages down
Bongbong Marcos, Really?????? or anyone called Marcos come to that.

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Winston Churchill.
Hey Marcos. . . .Where can I buy a Bong ?
@kristopherryanwatson

If I were Mr. Bong Bong's political advisor; I would recommend that he:

1) Immediately remove the Face Masks mandates which are a joke.

2) Allow Foreigners to travel here without the requirements for a Covid 19 Test before they board a plane, as long as they can prove they are fully vaccinated (two shots). Most other countries are far ahead and their Tourism Economy is responding accordingly. Thailand will be eliminating the RT-PCR Tests and they compete with The Philippines for much of the Male Tourism numbers. Australia and most if not all Europe do not require a Covid Test to enter their countries. Hopefully USA will follow suit.

3) Everyone here will then be Joyful since the Economy will rebound. The Taxi and Grab Drivers are suffering tremendously. No passengers means limited people who have money to spend at Malls and Restaurants.

4) Simple Executive Orders and he will be even more popular to everyone, and doesn't cost him or the People any money.

Just My Opinion...
@Enzyte Bob

Clark AFB is being used by some Airlines - I know Emirates is one - for connecting between Cebu and travel to Dubai for ongoing travel to other countries.
@Enzyte Bob

Bong Bong can tell you where to buy One / Take One
@talamban

I don't know but the malls in CRO are packed. I mean crazy packed.
Gents,

I've no substantial comments on the results that I care to share on open forum, other than to say, that the President elect does have a strong willed and well connected running mate as Vice-president elect. Let's not forget that she (and others) will also influence and drive any potential changes.

As for how the election results will affect  foreigners living here, I'm not 100% sure, but I would not be surprised to see changes / modifications to the tourist extension program, improvements to long stay / retirement visas, and also to the laws for foreign ownership of private property (similar to what Canada and Australia have in place).

No crystal ball, just my musings over a few beers with my buddys.
@Enzyte Bob

Clark AFB is being used by some Airlines - I know Emirates is one - for connecting between Cebu and travel to Dubai for ongoing travel to other countries.
- @talamban
Maybe That's why my FedEx delivery yesterday went first through Angeles City, then Pasay next before being delivered.
As for how the election results will affect  foreigners living here, I'm not 100% sure, but I would not be surprised to see changes / modifications to the ...... laws for foreign ownership of private property (similar to what Canada and Australia have in place).
- @Puddman

I dont count this to the president election so I coment this   :)

A country with mainly poor citizens cant be compared with "western" countries citizens, because almost all citizens in a poor country have no chance to compeete with richer foreigners, so the poor countries need to protect themselves against geting big part of the land being bought up...

Foreigners are screwing up pricing allready  :)   by paying far to much (and put in Filipina girlfriend's/wife's name.)
E g one foreigner paid more than double the normal for a beach lot.  A bit south of it there are even some beach land for sale for 1/10 that paid price per hectare.

@coach53  where are you talking?  I am looking for a beach lot... anywhere around Dumaguete?

@coach53  where are you talking?  I am looking for a beach lot... anywhere around Dumaguete?

- @Wellsfry

I dont know in Dumaguete, but there are some very cheap beach land at Palawan.   Some as low as 100p/squeremeter if buy some hectares not tiny slices of earlier lots.  Better buy whole for similar money as slices    :)

E g:
/100p  Recent so I dont believe sold yet.  But I havent checked the beach, because we checked land type at the highway side. No road nor electricity but not so far from highway and electricity and my business partner can probably make so the local government make a (public) dirt road very cheap to your lot. Of course cost more if make it gravel or concreete.
/a bit more but probably sold.   Hillside so spectactular view if build a bit up.  Sand beach. Downside is nearby village fishermen put their boats there.
/Several for 200 and up.
@Puddman

Very well put. I agree with you on these points, and are some things I would like to see where Foreigners might best benefit.

this country needs to move forward with foreign-relations. And i think large steps in new and innovative directions and trying new things is the only way  to do so.
@coach53

If you are able, please send me information and locations of those hectares for sale... Interested, depending on location.  messenger is Dean Wellsfry... Thanks Coach!
@kristopherryanwatson

If I were Mr. Bong Bong's political advisor; I would recommend that he:

1) Immediately remove the Face Masks mandates which are a joke.

2) Allow Foreigners to travel here without the requirements for a Covid 19 Test before they board a plane, as long as they can prove they are fully vaccinated (two shots). Most other countries are far ahead and their Tourism Economy is responding accordingly. Thailand will be eliminating the RT-PCR Tests and they compete with The Philippines for much of the Male Tourism numbers. Australia and most if not all Europe do not require a Covid Test to enter their countries. Hopefully USA will follow suit.

3) Everyone here will then be Joyful since the Economy will rebound. The Taxi and Grab Drivers are suffering tremendously. No passengers means limited people who have money to spend at Malls and Restaurants.

4) Simple Executive Orders and he will be even more popular to everyone, and doesn't cost him or the People any money.

Just My Opinion...
- @talamban
If I were Bong Bong's Conscientious Adviser I would recommend that he returns to the Philippine central bank  the billions of dollars his Mater & Pater 'appropriated' (with the connivance of the CIA) and stashed in offshore banks.
@coach53

If you are able, please send me information and locations of those hectares for sale... Interested, depending on location.  messenger is Dean Wellsfry... Thanks Coach!
- @Wellsfry

Dean Wellsfry?    When I clique you then I get to Wellsfry   :)        I have answered there.

@kristopherryanwatson what's that saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. His actions will be louder than words.

@BillyJack CDO  There may be changes. How can we possibly know at this point? But let's not forget that his dad and mom had a longstanding relationship with the US from Nixon to Reagen. And Bongbong himself attended school in Pennsylvania. It might turn out to be a fairly decent time for respectful and law abiding expats.

Might be that we actually see a warming of relations with the West again, the US in particular. At least we can be hopeful of that. As long as we don't see too many “righteous” and “idealistic” politicians in the US go in to full on bossy mode and try to interfere in internal Philippine affairs or politics again. They don't seem to understand how it affects us when they do that.

And I also expect the economy to actually pick up a little bit.

The main thing is, foreigners need to not involve themselves in Philippine politics. Filipinos really really don't like it.

@Lotus Eater  you are aware that BBM is still a wanted man in Hawaii.

The main thing is, foreigners need to not involve themselves in Philippine politics. Filipinos really really don't like it.
The main thing and the only thing.
@mugteck

This is true enough. Its a sensitive topic....unless its amongst themselves!

@kristopherryanwatson what's that saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

- @Bdc175

How about people on Filipino Cupid? Fool me three times maybe more.
@mugteck Recently Agon Hare and Project Nightfall caught a lot of flak among Filipinos for making a video about the election.

Now I would venture to say that the video contained a lot of biased opinions. One sided and he not being a citizen of the Philippines enraged people even further.

However what people are failing to discuss is how this is all started. Agon Hare didn't just wake up one day and decide to do a vlog video about politics in the Philippines, many many Filipino activists started contacting Project Nightfall asking him to make a video about their “concerns”. But instead of taking their anger out on the activists who drew him in to the discussion, they all got angry at Agon Hare, who doesn't even live in the Philippines, and even called for him and Project Nightfall to be banned in the Philippines. He has since deleted the video and issued an apology about it after all of the backlash. People in the Philippines still seem angry about it though.

Project Nightfall has a foundation in the Philippines that helped people recover after super typhoon Odette. In other words it seems a lot of people were willing to accept the money he raised but not his apology.

This is a prime example of the trap that some foreigners fall in to when they get involved in Philippine politics. Most of the time without maliciousness or ill intent, but by the time they realize that they were used or made a mistake, it's too late. One has to be very very careful about some of the deceptive and manipulative practices that are going on. Rarely or virtually never would a non-citizen be banned for discussing politics in the US. In fact Australian and British journalists do it on a regular basis.
Rarely or virtually never would a non-citizen be banned for discussing politics in the US. In fact Australian and British journalists do it on a regular basis.
- @Vannder
Well. I got banned from a forum when I told the TRUTH when I corrected some Americans when they claimed USA is best in the world even about things USA is far from being best of... First they made up LIES about me and other BS, and when I did SHOW they are ignorant idiots by telling true examples, then I got banned1f923.svg

@kristopherryanwatson what's that saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. His actions will be louder than words.

- @Bdc175

That's the funny or mysterious thing about all of this - during the campaign, BBM really didn't say much about policies; his message was all about 'unity'.  So yes, any action will be louder than his words :-)

@coach53 You got banned from a forum. Everyone gets banned from a discussion forum, a social media page or website for expressing their opinions eventually. Most people can't seem to accept opposing or contradictory worldviews.

But if you were banned from entering the U.S. I would be shocked. That would be a first for me. You can't technically be banned from the US for hurting someone's feelings. You have to be convicted of an actual crime and a pretty bad one at that. There's a due process that has to be followed.

Do you know what it takes to actually get permanently banned from the U.S.? It takes a lot. There are immigrants who are convicted felons, who have literally spent years in prison in the U.S. for their crimes and were then deported after their prison sentence was over. Only to be issued a visa or even a permanent residence green card again a couple of years later and allowed to return to the U.S.

@coach53 Got banned from a (wait for this), FORUM? Comparing that from being banned from a country? My friend, you are taking social media WAY too seriously.

@Lotus Eater  you are aware that BBM is still a wanted man in Hawaii.

- @Munchie

Interesting. No I was not. But the Philippines & USA do have an extradition treaty in force since 1994. Dare I assume that his 'monetary status' with the Philippine Congress has prevented him from being extradited to stand trial in the State of his parents exile?

@danfin . . . . .

coach53 Got banned from a forum. . . . because of bad breath from eating all that Garlic. (as quoted on another thread.)

@BillyJack CDO  There may be changes. How can we possibly know at this point? But let's not forget that his dad and mom had a longstanding relationship with the US from Nixon to Reagen. And Bongbong himself attended school in Pennsylvania. It might turn out to be a fairly decent time for respectful and law abiding expats.

Might be that we actually see a warming of relations with the West again, the US in particular. At least we can be hopeful of that. As long as we don't see too many “righteous” and “idealistic” politicians in the US go in to full on bossy mode and try to interfere in internal Philippine affairs or politics again. They don't seem to understand how it affects us when they do that.

And I also expect the economy to actually pick up a little bit.

- @Vannder

And I'm ashamed to point out that Bongbong attended an expensive (how could his parents afford it?) Public (Private to our American friends) school here in England.

Any 'warming of relations' will be dictated to more by his 'technocrat advisers' . Marcos Jr, according to well informed accounts, has a short attention span and is influenced by the last person he spoke to.

There is something of a dichotomy trying to second guess where his allegiances lie: apparently he has a fondness for American culture but the Marcos family have a long association with China. One of only two Chinese consulates outside the capital is in Ilocas Norte his families home province. Probably over 50% of his heritage is in fact Chinese.

"The main thing is, foreigners need to not involve themselves in Philippine politics. Filipinos really really don't like it." Yeah right, unless like BB's father they call in Uncle Sam to dig them out of a hole. 
@Lotus Eater Yes an extradition treaty that is barely enforced. They haven't even extradited Apollo Quiboloy, who is wanted by the FBI for human trafficking. Of minors no less.

As if they would extradite a billionaire. Who is their president.

And yeah I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam woild come to Marco's rescue if he ever gets in a bind. Regardless of what that judge in Hawaii said. Geopolitical strategy takes priority over everything else.

@coach53 Got banned from a (wait for this), FORUM? Comparing that from being banned from a country? My friend, you are taking social media WAY too seriously.

- @danfinn

You dont seem to understand smileys   :)
@Enzyte Bob ... too funny Spence about the Garlic breath... hehe....   All one has to keep in mind is; 1) don't talk religion  2) don't talk politics  3) don't talk about other people and don't talk about your old girlfriends to your new filippa...   :)

and all will be good!  with or without the Garlic.. hehe..   just my opinion

@coach53 I don't think most people on this forum will understand the concept of relegation and promotion. To my knowledge there is no such thing in the USA

- @danfinn

You dont seem to understand smileys   smile.png
- @coach53

YOU don't seem to understand the phrase 'less is more'  Akin to makeup or jewellery on women.