Looking to move to Derry/Londonderry

Any particular advice about moving to this area. I am moving from the US but I also hold UK citizenship as well. Properties look more reasonable there than on the British side. Presuming most of the troubles have settled by now.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

My own opinion is that the troubles have not been settled, just the political parties behind the Republican and Unionist groups have found they can make more money by becoming legitimate politicians; if you follow Irish issues you will see that things almost always fall on sectarian lines.

I lived in Northern Ireland in the 70's during the height of the troubles and went back 10 years ago when my company opened a depot in Ballymena.  I expected to see comparative change, that life had returned to normal; I was disappointed.

To answer your question, choose where you live carefully, there are nice places all over the Province, but there are still some weird people living there.  If you have family there to help you along, you'll be fine, but if you've chosen it because of a house price comparison, then that is not a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I think it varies , tbh I'm moving from mainland UK to northern Ireland.

So far I've talked to just about everyone whenever I've been over there and I avoid religion and politics .

Never had any issues but as a us citizen there's probably less negatives for you

We are moving rural so will wait and see