New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ecuador forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ecuador if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi! I'm Ecuadorian, living in Guayaquil but wanting to move out of this city because of crime and weather. Maybe I'll choose another city in Ecuador, maybe not. I'm here to contribute a native perspective on life in Ecuador and see what other people say about other cities.

Good morning, I am Jim and my wife is Bonnie. We are presently in Florida and hoping to retire. Florida is now overwhelmed with construction and people moving from New York, Illinois, California, etc.
We have looked at several other countries to move and had put money down on a home in the Dominican Republic (builder could not qualify at the bank - so we withdrew). We have looked at Italy, Spain, Portugal, Costa Rica, Bahamas, Dominica. We are planning our 1st visit to Ecuador (Manta) in April. We plan on spending a week (due to work schedule) tying to cram as much as we can during that time. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated!

Jim

I have moved the discussions initiated by above posters to a new thread called Ecuador Mailbag, which is clickable from the Ecuador forum welcome page.

By edict of the Expat.com home office, the intro's thread is reserved for self-introductions of new members.

cccmedia
Expat.com experts team

Hi there,
I'm Golda - from Canada & Barbados. I have just recently landed in Ecuador (San Clemente) - and am looking to find 'my spot' in this country. I am hoping to reside somewhere where the weather is not too rainy (I have lived in Vancouver), where it is safe for solo females, and where I can be in touch with the Ecuador community (volunteering, friends, etc.)

Since, as explained above, we reserve this thread for self-intros, I respond to Golda on the Ecuador Mailbag thread (clickable at the Ecuador Forum welcome page).

cccmedia
Expat.com experts team

My husband, Joel, and I love living here.  The people, the culture, the beauty, and the diversity are amazing.  But, before moving here, or anywhere, it is good to spend time in the country.  Learn about a few places before you visit, then spend at least six months before you decide.  Get to know the local people and expats so you know more before you make a decision.  We don't want to be anywhere else but know more before you decide on any place.
Robin Lynn

Hi.  I'm gathering information and paperwork, and learning as fast as I can.  I hope to arrange my exploratory tour in July and, if all goes well, move in August or September bringing just my cat. 
Family members are unenthusiastic at the very best.  As far as I know, my boss doesn't know.
Hi everyone. I am a mining engineering graduate from Namibia, Africa and looking to immigrate to Ecuador. I have an Ecuadorian friend in the US who I have been in contact with to gather information about Ecuador and immigration. Today I signed up to expat.com to dig deeper. My biggest concern is finding employment with a professional visa in Ecuador.  I am currently looking at Guayaquil for a best chance of finding employment since its the capital and "busiest" city in terms of industry.
@Julien Hola, my name is Robert. I am a post-Covid retired Canadian moving to Ecuador soon. I am spending the month of May travelling the mountain cities and towns to learn and experience as much as I can before I settle on a location to buy or rent a house. All I am certain of is that I am not a beach person, and can't see myself staring into the abyss of the ocean. A house on the outskirts of a town with a view of trees, volcanos or mountains (to hike or bike around NOT climb), lakes, rivers, and a vegetable garden to studiously ignore from the shade of a veranda would describe my happy place.

I worked 25 years in Architecture, including a few years working on all the maddening details of a resort town in Roatan, Honduras. I'm enjoying Ecuador, having had some down-time in Cotacachi, seeing properties Best described as “paradise” and resisting the urge to build a home to save myself the resulting O.C.D. overload. I'm doing my best to embrace “tranquillo” and consuming vast quantitities of horchata and tres leches tortes!

I am very interested in indigenous cultures, learning spanish and kichwa, and taking cooking classes / food market tours to discover all the fruits and veggies I've never seen before. My other past time is texting from my girlfriend every 20 seconds, with the hope of tempting her here to join me, mostly to save on cell-phone roaming minutes.

Together we're interested in meeting artists and artisans, her talent not mine, and learning more about and talking to local shamans to pique the curiosity of mi amor - an indigenous Canadian metis. Being an irish-canadian, I'll just be happy to find a good plate of tocino y papas, and any reasonable substitute for Guinness.
@rkg695 Hi Robert,  Given your description, I would like to invite you to visit in my area, close to Latacunga in Cotopaxi province.  I, too, started out in Cotocachi, but even after buying a lot there, changed my mind.   I am not saying that I live how you might like, but my place and my life is decidedly different than many others who come to live in Ecuador.  I live in an architect designed adobe house (not perfect but interesting) and have a large food garden, I create charming sitting gardens, live near to indigenous people, currently am the education godmother (madrina) to my Kichwa lady friend and probably could help your explore a few ideas.  I have been here over 8 years, have travelled a great deal of Ecuador and think I might be a useful sounding board to help you find your new home.

I am not quite sure how to give you my contact and perhaps @julien or cccmedia could help us connect.  Then I can send you my small website which illustrates a bit of life as a Canadian in Ecuador.  I am refrred to as Lindaecuador.

Let me know if you wish to come by while on your search,  Linda
@rkg695
I am not quite sure how to give you my contact
- @Lindaecuador

You can simply click on his screen name, rkg695, and a page will appear that has the option "Send a message".  Click on that to send a private message.

Thank you for your nice welcoming letter!   I live in a little town called Creemore, in Ontario, Canada. I am originally born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Been here since 79.  I at my age now, almost 62 would definitely preferred more warmer weather and to be able to enjoy nature more. After watching ton's of YouTube videos and learning about the culture, the ppl,  I believe Ecuador has what I am looking for with lots of diversity, and nature. It's going to be very interesting and exiting. Our 1st visit will be in this year and I cannot wait. After that I am planning on spending winters there.

Hi, I'm Dave from Los Angeles.

I am planning on retiring in late 2023 and moving to another country to live with my girlfriend. A nice beach area would be nice since I love to scuba dive. I haven't decided where to move to yet. Ecuador, Panama, Portugal, or SE Asia is at the top of my list, but my girlfriend is not into Asia (yet).

We scheduled a trip to Panama and Ecuador in August to see if either is good for us and see which areas look like we could settle down in. Then planning a trip to Portugal next year to check it out too.
Hi guys!

I'm Briana from New Brunswick, Canada. I currently live in Vancouver, Canada. My fiancé and I are moving to Ecuador the end of August and couldn't be more excited!
@letsgodiving

HI,

In Ecuador the best Scuba diving areas are in Galapagos, the group of islands.  Many areas there are world class.  Many people think that Galapagos is exceptionally expensive but you might find a place to rent there espcailly on Isabela Island, the most old fashioned larger island.  Or if not, be very happy that such a place is part of Ecuador and only a short flight form Guayaquil.  Regularly there are flight specials.
@brianablackk

Hi Briana,  I just want to welcome you to Ecuador.  Where are you currently planning to live?  I , too, am Canadian and once used to live in the Vancouver area but have now been in Ecuador for over 8 years.  I live in the Andes not far from Latacunga in Cotopaxi porvince around 1.5 - 2 hours south of Quito. I can see the volcano from my house.   This is not an expat area but has worked out quite well.  If you have questions or might need some help please let me know when you arrive.  I will be in Ecuador up to and during August but in much of September and up to mid October, in Europe.  After that again, you are welcome to connect.  All the best, Linda
@rkg695
Have you tried using WhatsApp for texting with your girlfriend? If you are connected to Wi-Fi is free :) and you can also do video calls for free.

@LiliTG good advice ☺️ WhatsApp is pretty widely used in Ecuador, alsmost essential for communicating with contacts at banks, medical offices, favourite taxi drivers (?).

Hi,
           I'm from Ireland and after working in Las Vegas for 30 years I want to live in South America and Cuenca seems a great place to start. I'm white, male, straight, divorced with no kids and retired six years ago at 60. I've lived in Europe and four US states so I'm ready for the challenge of relocating again.
          I've always been fascinated by different cultures and languages and have read the history of wherever I've been. I'm a big reader of fiction and non-fiction and am looking forward to the book groups in Cuenca. I find I need other readers to help me digest my reading and often don't even know what I think or feel about a book until I've chewed it over with others. I love films that make me think, and drama, especially Shakespeare.
          Walking round a city is the best way to know it and that's not something I do in Las Vegas which is heading to 113 F/45 C this weekend; the river walks of Cuenca sound lovely.
          I've been taking a weekly Spanish class for a year and a grammar class for six months and intend to dive into classes when I arrive. I understand more than I can speak but I hope to improve quickly.
           My sports are English soccer and Test rugby. I don't like the sectarianism of some soccer fans who take it all too seriously; it's a game; the verb is ‘play'. When we lose the play aspect and take it too much to heart, it's not so much fun. Can't wait to cheer on Ecuador in the World Cup!
          I have been impressed by the solidarity and helpfulness of the Cuenca gringo community. The city is fortunate to have people  like you and I look forward to meeting many of you when I arrive in the next few weeks.

See you soon. All the best,
                                                               Mick Torney

@Julien Hello Julien and everyone else. I'm Maria from Alberta, Canada. Finished letting my furniture go last night and preparing my departure to Ecuador for end of August.

Many reasons prompted my move to Ecuador amongst them to establish a base to visit SA.

Would love to correspond with some expats before my arrival in Ecuador and meeting you personally once I get there.

• P.S. Where would you say is initially the best place to settle down for a few months while my visa application is being processed?

@Julien   My name is Wendy, American but born in Spain and semi fluent in Spanish. I am interested in retiring in Ecuador, for its biodiversity, weather, cost of living and clean air. I am thinking of visiting before the end of this year and thought I should start in Cuenca.  I am open to suggestions, so if anyone has a better idea or can direct me to a good place to stay in Cuenca, please reply. 

I'm told Cuenca is the default first stop for expats in Ecuador.  From what I gather, a LOT of English-speakers live there, it's a gorgeous place, and the local Spanish dialect is slow-moving/clear/musical-sounding.  I'm hoping to get to Ecuador at the end of the month or the beginning of next month.

Noting that three of the four most recent posters

on this thread are interested in Cuenca, I have

posted some comments at the Ecuador Mailbag

thread.  (The thread you are currently reading

is specifically for new members to introduce

themselves.)  The mailbag thread is

reachable via the Ecuador forum's welcome page.

The fourth new member, María, was looking for a

location in Ecuador from which she could explore

other countries in South America.  I have made some

comments about a preferred Ecuador location for that

purpose in the same Mailbag post.

cccmedia

Hi everyone, I'm Sheldon. I live in Minneapolis and am planning to retire in 5 years when I'm 70. I plan to move overseas and Ecuador has been at the top of my list of possible countries to call home. Cuenca appeals to me. While there are other reasons for wanting to retire in Ecuador, my main reason is to have a significantly lower cost of living than in the U.S. Of course, a lot can change in five years, but one has to start somewhere, and so, it's nice to be on this site with the rest of you! 

Thanks Julien. Hi everyone! I'm called Matthew Levine.

I'm moving from the U.S. to Vilcabamba, Ecuador on October 2nd—right around the corner. I'm in the process of getting a two year residency visa.

Everything is going relatively well but I still haven't figured out what to do about a cell phone.I joined two expat groups on Facebook and got pages of interesting and mostly good advice but there are so many ways to go I'm not yet sure what to do. I definitely want to keep my monthly cost way down. Any suggestions?

I'm moving in with a friend temporarily until I find a small apartment. I can't afford to live in the U.S. and I have no nest egg so I'll be living off of my social security which isn't much. I might get some royalties next year if one of the musicals I've worked on is produced for the third time. I might also teach music, do some writing, compile videos of issues that are important—matters of life and death—but that most people don't have the interest or patience to get through.

I'm 64, single, a father of two, and collect paraprosdokians. Hope to chew the fat with some of you someday. Meanwhile, MY CELL PHONE!....

Matthew Levine

Dear Matthew,

Welcome to the forums of Expat.com ...

It's more appropriate to discuss your

cell phone at the Ecuador Mailbag thread,

due to our Home Office's edict that this

thread be used only for self-introductions.

So I've posted my response over there.

The mailbag thread is reachable off the

Ecuador forum welcome page.  Start

by clicking Forum atop this page.

cccmedia in Quito

Member, Expat.com experts team

@Julien Hi everyone , I'm Lawrence Dale from the Western U.P. Of Mi. (Ironwood) And the Northwoods of Wi (Eagle River) and I will be Landing in Guayaquil

Sat. Have to make this short, I love these vids, very helpful. My deadline for filing for temp visa is Wed. Am I too late? My phone is ***

hasta luego.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, how small is the world, I was planning to visit U.P. as volunteer in order the help a farmer we are into all about healthy living and the environment, well I hope all goes well  I heard formidable things about Ecuador. Lucky you, btw the people in Ecuador are amazing :)

hi,

we have been here 5 months in Salinas love the weather , people , and land .  life is good  lol  where we live is quiet and close to things we need . We are happy  and the cost of living? well it is much less than in colorado  the quality of life has gone way up and quality of food weather also .  we sold everything we owned in the states and never plan on moving back . Medical here is amazing along with the cost of it and dental is so cheap and good quality . We will go to the states to visit but as far as any regrets moving here ? none .

@wicalroger … You and Amelia & JP on YouTube from Colorado 😄💜🌺 si mi encantera Ecuador! Welcome, from Cotacachi, Imbabura. I'm from the Canadian Rockies near Banff

thank you well i  am from northern minnesota about 30 miles from  ontario then 15 yrs in the black hills of south dakota and 10 yrs in colorado  we had to leave that festering stink hole  drugs gone wild there .  we did not like the situation in the states and wanted to finish our lives in a place that is the way Ecuador is  kind respect elders  beautiful  clean air and peaceful

I'm also new around here. It's great to be with all of you. Hopefully, by sharing our working views with each other, we will be able to better build each other as a team. It would be my pleasure to learn from each and every one of you, and I apologize for any small and easy questions that may arise.

Hi,

My name is Real, I live in USA but I'm from Canada. I'm retiring at the end of december. I'm planning to stay in Ecuator for 3 months starting January 2023. I think a lot of Canadians stay / live in San Jose Mirador. I'm interested

I have many questions, the very first one is Internet. How's internet there ?

Thanks

Real

@realdrouin Fibre optic in many places.

Dear Real,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of Expat.com ...

This particular thread is reserved for new member

introductions only, so we can't properly survey

the membership here about Internet service

in Ecuador.  Our Home Office in the

Mascarene Islands would frown on that.

Our regular workaround is to refer new members

with questions .. to the Ecuador Mailbag thread.

In fact, I have just posted information about

Internet service in La República on that thread,

which is clickable off the Ecuador forum's

welcome page.

cccmedia

member, Expat.com experts team

Hello,  I have dreamed of moving to Ecuador but some things had changed.  I am still considering a lengthy visit first, then take it from there.  My husband and I visited Ecuador in 2018 and loved it.  I will still consider that visit, but need to make other arrangements first.  Hope to get there within the next year.

Hello everyone,

@ SheWota73, Please note that I have moved your post to the Ecuador forum (New Member thread from the Canada forum). Since it is the destination where you wish to move.

Feel free to read the articles of the Living in Ecuador guide for expats for first-hand infos and create your own topic on the forum should you have questions. Members, hopefully, will guide you.

All the best,

Bhavna

@Julien Hola Julien,  I'm from Taiwan(not China) and is nearly 60 years old. I plan to retire in another country of low living cost. Ecuador is one of my destination. If I have some questions about the immigration, residency, living, safety, finance problems, then sholud I open new topic to ask ?

Thanks a lot

Terry

Hello schlee1231,

Feel free to start a new thread on the Ecuador forum to discuss any topic with other members here.

Please make sure to discuss one specific topic per thread. It will be easier for you to gather information.

For example, one thread for immigration and one thread for the cost of living.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Closed