Advice on buying a property in Peyia

Firstly thanks to everyone for the quality information that you post on this forum, I cannot tell you how helpful I find it.

After a fairly long search I am on the verge of putting an offer in on a property in Peyia and wondered if you could offer any advice on the following

1) Currency Transfers: what is the best way of going about this? and what is the typical difference between the daily conversion rate that can be found on google versus the actual rate that it would cost to transfer a large amount of money to purchase a property I.e the exchange rate today is £1 = €1.16 but looking at various currency transfer providers they seem to be offering circa €1.10 to the pound (is this a typical variance?)
2) Can anyone recommend a property lawyer that they have personally used recently?
3) What should I specifically ask the lawyer to check for?
4) How much would I typically expect to pay a lawyer for the purchase of a detached villa? (I guess the value of the villa is a factor so I understand it would be a ‘ball park' figure)
5) Would a lawyer be able to check if there is any future development planned in the area that might affect sea views etc?

Thanks in advance (any help/advice would be most welcome and really appreciated)
Tony

I haven't forgotten we are just in the middle of moving and need time to give you answers

1 I used revolut to get my sterling converted into euros mainly because of their exchange rates being better than banks and transfer wise etc but because there are daily limits I had to do it over a period of about 2-3wks luckily both of us had unlimited accounts and we both made the exchanges so for us it was worth it transfer wise or currency fair seem to be preferable I would check them out if I was you message me for details

2 Nick Kourris for sure. Young energetic amiable and gets the job done and for us he only charged about €1100 all incl and he did everything

3.. title deeds,  outstanding encumberances. What is and isn't included in the sale, be aware of the need to provide proof of funds they are much tighter on this now

4. Fees vary from one to another but I will say Nick was by far the cheapest However I would not knock the law firm Demetrius Demetriades in paphos they are expensive but are in my experience very very thorough in everything and always seem to get exactly what they want for their client but be aware as one of the best they are in great demand and you would be advised that if the seller has engaged them  you won't be able to use them for obvious reasons

5 If this a concern demand it be done but you will need to pay heavily for it but am not convinced that despite best efforts what was once not planned may well be planned later and you would be left in the lap of the gods.. things can and do change here money talks and brown envelopes are also in great demand

Good luck tony

Brilliant Toon, really helpful!
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to respond to me.
One last question if I may…… the wall to the side of the property (it's a corner plot so faces on to the road) is only about 1.2mtrs high am I able to have a timber or aluminium fence added to it to make it 2-2.4mtrs high for privacy (as it overlooks the swimming pool)?
I believe that the front wall of a property cannot be over 1.2mtrs high which is not really a problem but there are lots of conflicting opinions on side walls etc

Sorry for such a basic question but for us it is a deal breaker on buying the property or not….any advice would be gratefully appreciated
Thanks
Tony

Local laws am afraid … but to be honest nobody takes any notice if it's solid it's likely to be more of a problem if it's like trellis maybe not so bad as I see lots of these on my travels round my village of peyia

just a further thing to be aware of - - the Land registry do a property valuation every few years - the last one was done in 2018 and a further one is due this year - any alterations from plan can impact on the valuation but to be fair it is usually more to do with the property footprint covered and uncovered areas...

Interestingly the LR title transfer fees are currently based on the 2013 valuation these will be printed on the sellers deeds... you will/should  get a copy of this deed when you see the first draft of the sales contract.... watch out though for the fees as these can be calculated incorrectly but once they've printed the title deed they will have already calculated it and its in their system, if it is incorrect this fee must be paid and you must then dispute it which can take three months or more to get a refund if it falls in your favour 

Good luck

Thanks toon brilliant advice. Really appreciate it

Just a word of warning for any prospective property buyers ….be very wary of the transfer fees payable to the land registry for your title deeds

A friend ended up paying double and lost his appeal as the land registry valued his apartment at more than double the 2018 valuation and 50% more than  the price paid for it

They appear to be a law unto themselves and do whatever they want

So please be very very careful Buyers are in the lap of the land registry gods

I've also heard two stories today where you must ensure that the land that your purchased property sits is included in the title deeds if not it may well be possible for the owner of the land to take loans on the land and potentially default in payments putting  your property purchase at great risk

Get a really good lawyer and do the necessary searches and make these requests

Thanks toon really helpful as always, I have got Nick Kourris on the case and copied him in on your comments

This article gives an insight into this problem that has been present for a few years now - the article is from 2018

caveat emptor

source  https://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers … YyGqICNBVg

AN INCREASING number of people have got in touch with me recently complaining that the Land Registry has overcharged their Property Transfer Fees when they attend Land Registry offices to transfer the Title Deeds to the property they purchased to secure its legal and undisputed ownership.

In Cyprus, Property Transfer Fees are the local equivalent of the Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) paid by someone buying property in England and Northern Ireland, the Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT) in Scotland and the Land Transaction Tax (LTT) in Wales – and like the property transaction taxes levied in the UK, Cyprus' Property Transfer Fees are based on the market value of a property at its date of purchase.

The date on your contract of sale will be accepted as its date of purchase (assuming your contract was stamped and deposited at the Land Registry.) If your contract was not deposited the Land Registry may ask for payment receipts, utility bills, etc. to confirm its purchase date.

Problems in Cyprus arise because the Land Registry is required (by law) to assess the market value of a property at its date of purchase which, in an increasing number of cases according to the reports I receive, is more than the purchaser actually paid for the property.

In 20 years of advising and helping those with property issues I have only heard of one single case where the Land Registry valued the property at less than the purchaser actually paid. And in another case, where the Land Registry admitted mistakenly overcharged the purchaser, it transpired that their staff had wrongly taken the uncovered area of his property to be part of its covered area.

The Land Registry maintains historic records of property prices and it's often reported that they use these records to assess a property's market value. However, this is only part of the story; the Land Registry's valuation process is shrouded in secrecy and it will not advise those who challenge their valuation how they reached their figure.

Recently purchasers who bought identical properties on the same development at identical prices within days of each other found themselves paying different Property Transfer Fees. And how the Land Registry assesses the market value of a property located where there no similar properties were sold for many years is a mystery.

In a recent case when a Cypriot examined the Title Deed he'd received from the Land Registry he discovered that the Land Registry had mistakenly registered his neighbour's property as his.

The Land Registry is not as ‘infallible' as some may wish believe.

Why the discrepancy?
This is where the infamous ‘brown envelopes' come into play. Some vendors come to an arrangement with purchasers whereby they under-declare the sale price in the purchase agreement and receive the balance in cash from the purchaser. The vendor's objective in doing this is to reduce their Capital Gains Tax liability and it will also reduce the Property Transfer Fees paid by the purchaser.

The Land Registry procedures attempt to reduce this tax evasion. But these processes and staff are not without problems and those completely innocent of attempting tax evasion often end up paying for the misdemeanours of others.

Challenging Land Registry valuations
You can try reasoning with the Director of the Land Registry office.

One purchaser who challenged the market valuation was advised by Land Registry staff that properties in the area were being revalued because the construction of a new marina and a high-end development had recently been announced. The fact that these announcements were made several years after he purchased the property and had no bearing on its market value at its date of purchase was irrelevant. (The Land Registry's market value of his property was €50,000+ more than he actually paid for it.)

If you get nowhere reasoning with the director of the Land Registry office, you can take the matter further by getting the property valued with  a report on how the valuation was assessed by a suitably qualified valuer such as a RICS Chartered Valuation Surveyor or a member of the Cyprus Association of Valuers and Property Consultants .

Your written objection together with the professional valuation has to be submitted to the Land Registry within around 40 days of its valuation.

This may result in the Land Registry reviewing its assessment of the property's market value. However, there is no obligation on the Land Registry to accept the professional valuation or provide you with a written report supporting its own valuation. Furthermore the Land Registry's re-assessment may result in a higher valuation and higher transfer fees.

Your lawyer may also apply to the court, but even if the court decides in your favour it may cost you more (€3,000 – €4,000) than the excess Property Transfer Fees demanded by the Land Registry.