What are you missing in Costa Rica?

Hi everyone,

Living in Costa Rica, on the long or short run, it is completely normal to feel homesick sometimes. We would like to know what you are missing the most about your home country in Costa Rica.

Do you miss any aspects of your home culture? If so, what are these?

Are you able to reproduce dishes from home and find the necessary ingredients?

What about leisure activities? Have you had to reconsider your favourite activities? If so, which ones have you had to give up?

Are there any celebrations or traditions from your home country that you cannot take part in Costa Rica?

How do you cope with that in your daily life?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

More than anything I miss being able to get in my car and drive 5 minutes to a fast food place like Chipotle or Del Taco and get some good quick food. Also, pizza is generally better in the USA. There are a couple good ones where I live but they are about 50% more expensive than back in the USA. Fast food exists here but it's horrible. They have a Taco Bell chain that has ZERO resemblance to the USA chain, and the food there is inedible. (For me... I'm sure there must be those who like it. Ticos?) I'm not a huge Taco Bell fan but I do occasionally like a super quick and cheap burrito, and here, that does not exist.

I miss Trader Joe's too. I could drive for 5 minutes and get to one of their many stores (3 within 5 miles of me) and literally buy my whole week's groceries in 20 minutes. Fruit, veges, milk, cheese, chips, liquor... in abundant variety and high quality. Here I end up having to drive to 3 stores and they still often are out of this or out of that. Takes like 2 hours instead of 25 minutes (20 + 5 for the drive).

I miss being able to buy electronics like computers, phones, tablets, tv, audio equipment etc at lower prices and more variety and generally newer models as well.

There are advantages here, though you didn't ask: mechanics and plumbers and gardeners and other laborers are like 1/4 or less the price than in the USA.

It always comes up that it's "more expensive here" than in the USA. That is simply not true. The only things here that are more expensive are cars, electronics, gasoline, electricity (depending on which state you lived in) and food imported from the USA. Rent is cheaper, property is cheaper, labor is cheaper, doctors are cheaper, SOME medicines are cheaper, propane is cheaper, etc.

Overall it is cheaper here, unless maybe you have a pool, a jacuzzi, a huge  house with A.C. or central heat (maybe at a high elevation), eat out at restaurants a lot and so on. Property taxes are lower here, rent is lower, water is lower and so on...

I miss my church most of all.  We had a very active one and mass was held in English mostly, but also Spanish.  We also had the books to follow along with as well as the words to all the hymns we sang and soft seats with padded kneeling benches.  On the over all, shopping sucks here.  I also miss having a nice senior center.  As far as activities go, I was heavily into dog sports, which don't exist here.

As far as cost of living goes, some things are higher here and some things are lower.  Lucky for me, my son visits twice a year and brings a suitcase full of stuff from the states.  I keep a running "care package" requests going so all he has to do is bring what I order.

The post office is the worse.  I ended up having all my mail sent to me at my son's address and he brings me what I order.  Before, when I did have my mail sent here, things went missing and if they did get here, I had to pay customs on it.  Just not worth it.

I still love living here, even with all the inconveniences.  I look at what the states are having to deal with and I thank God I'm here and not there.

I can't imagine,persons from more developed countries not missing the standard they once had,including the friends and family.The ones that say they don't is because they know what awaits for them in their country of origin.With the global capital pouring into Costa Rica this group is not missing anything.Basically,most gringos have means that come here.Most have already flown out of Costa Rica for the height of rainy season or have runoff,just like mud flow.

The three things i miss the most  are not waiting in line at the bank, driving less dangerous roads, and my catholic masses in English

Yes, the standard is not the same, but one adjusts and with care packages from visitors, can pretty much live a laid back life.  No, entertainment is not up to snuff.  If you are not an outdoor enthusiast there really isn't much to do in the more rural areas.  ,On the other hand, the quiet tranquil life is a nice change from the rat race.

Yes, gringos have the means to live a nice life here - but then we couldn't migrate here if we didn't.  On the other hand, I don't know any of my ex pats who leave because of the rain.  I'm pretty sure that with Biden as president, none of us want to move back to the states.  At least I don't hear of any who have given up here.  However, when I moved here, the stats said most people leave within a year or two - they can't make the adjustment.  I've been here 8 years now and for me, the transition wasn't all that hard.  But then again, I'm a senior and retired, so I can do what I like whenever I like.

Well spoken Ginger.  Being retired and having money to be able to live a comfortable life says alot and your outlook is similar to mine.  I have been coming to CR for 8 years, making several trips each year to gain an good understanding on what Costa Rica has to offer.  Your Biden statement is dead on and many of my friends are worried what will happen in the States.  Being close to Costa Rica from the States gives us some good options.  My goal is to Retire December 2023 full time and spend even more time in CR. I bought a farm in February and my plan is to work to help Needy Costa Ricans in my retirement.  Visit Ranchocostafalo.com to see our mission statement and community good works projects.  Should keep me busy along with continual exploration of a beautiful country.

@JGMORT:  I looked at your website.  Lovely farm!  Wish you good luck in all your endeavors with your farm project.

Frances

thank you Frances   :)

20211027. Lars Göran here. And with "dangerous roads" you mean roads of bad quality with many holes bad for the car? Or roads full of bandits? Or both?/LG. :/

20211027. Good evening from Lars Göran and Sweden. Your story is interesting because you live in a totally different climate zone. I think you have heavy rains often during raining season. We have often weak rains here. Type of food is ev idently not a problem for you. But I am particular about the quality of articles I buy in the supermarket. Interesting to hear that life in the countryside is calm, almost boringly calm. This means low crime environment. That is good! But how much spanish do you understand? I write this on a Sony smartphone, typing on a touch screen. Good bye for now./LG.