Virtual (Online) Marriages: Legal in Vietnam or Embassies?

A very interesting article in the New York Times (link should bypass paywall) about totally virtual online marriages being performed in the state of Utah, USA:

nytimes..com/2021/09/17/style/utah-county-weddings-virtual-unlocked_article

It does mention that many jurisdictions don't consider these to be legal marriages if the marriage has never been consummated.

Having said that, obvious questions for this forum are,

"Would Vietnam recognize such a certificate for a spousal TRC (after borders open, of course)?"

and,

"Would embassies (especially the US Embassy/Consulate) recognize it for a spousal Visa for the Vietnamese citizen to travel abroad (once international flights resume, of course)?"

Asking for a friend...

I asked my immigration attorney as far as US immigration and visa requirements and he said this would not pass the 'must be consummated' part. I would love to know the answer as far as Vietnam is concerned. My interest is at least as much as 'your friend'. I'm sure the US Embassy answer is 'no'. I'm no expert however. And thanks for the article. There's a FB group 'love is not tourism' of many heartbreaking stories about this...mine being one of them.

I cant see the VN govt accepting this. They are a fairly conservative bunch in power and their thinking is strange. My wife went to the largest  govt owned baby hospital in Saigon to see if she was fertile, the hospital said they cant do it unless I was present.

colinoscapee wrote:

I cant see the VN govt accepting this. They are a fairly conservative bunch in power and their thinking is strange...

I agree.

I'm thinking the US Embassy is more likely to approve a Visa, providing that they are satisfied that the relationship has been consummated.

So this is probably not a good idea for a guy who's never been to Vietnam and is trying to marry a woman long distance whom he's never met.

But "maybe" a man and a woman who have lived together in Vietnam and who can document that relationship through statements (by landlords, etc) and a lease signed by both could use this method to "maybe" convince an embassy/consulate to grant a spousal Visa?

I'm definitely ignorant about this so it's a question not a statement

Of course, being a new concept I doubt anyone knows. But the huge concern internationally is preventing trade. This is primary reason for for all the current obstacles. This seems to be an obvious way for the trade I suspect at least for the USA the State Department and USCIS has already been alerted and policies put in place. Just speculation no facts.