Health/Medical insurance.

Hello, I'll be arriving in Mexico for 6 month's as of September 29th from Canada. I would appreciate any advice on health insurance, please. I take medications daily so information on filling my pescription drug refills would be greatly appreciated too.
Kindly,
Julia.

juliamargueritesmith wrote:

Hello, I'll be arriving in Mexico for 6 month's as of September 29th from Canada. I would appreciate any advice on health insurance, please. I take medications daily so information on filling my pescription drug refills would be greatly appreciated too.
Kindly,
Julia.

Welcome to the Mexican portion of ex-pat Julia,

At the top of the page, you will see sources of information on health and other types of insurance as well as housing, classifieds, etc.

As for drugs, the most common drugs are available at the local drug stores. Just bring your prescriptions in and ask. Or you can bring enough of your drugs to tide you over perhaps.
Are you going to a fairly large town where the people in the pharmacy might be bilingual? or do you speak Spanish. ?.

When i left the USA a couple of years ago, I was able to get 3 months refill of my prescription just by telling the pharmacy i was traveling for 3 months. That gave me time to figure things out a bit.  safety wing and img insurance  for travelers are both pretty reasonable, I use the latter. The former has age restrictions. Hope this helps.

Hello,

Thank you for responding to my query. I'll be going to San Miguel de Allende. One of my prescriptions is classified as an Opiate here in Canada. That's the one I am concerned about. And thank you for your help with health insurance too.

Kindly,
Julia.

Hello,

Thank you for responding. My Spanish is very rusty. I lived in Spain many years ago so I can recognize words and phrases. I'll be staying in San Miguel de Allende where there are plenty of English-speaking Mexicans which I'm grateful for.

Kindly,
Julia.

Hello,

Thank you for responding to my query. I'll be going to San Miguel de Allende. One of my prescriptions is classified as an Opiate here in Canada. That's the one I am concerned about. And thank you for your help with health insurance too.

Kindly,
Julia.

You will find it helpful in getting useful replies if you will begin to use the quote function to indicate to whom you are replying.

You will find that many mostly-helpful people have been discussing your very topic in another thread for a number of years:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=653280

Good luck and good reading!

Hi and thank you. I've subscribed to that forum.

Kindly,
Julia.

Hello,

Would the member that goes by the name, Melanie_In_Mexico, please contact me again regarding health insurance? I had a family emergency and didn't get the chance to discuss my insurance questions.

Kindly,
Julia.

Hello,

Would the member that goes by the name, Melanie_In_Mexico, please contact me again regarding health insurance? I had a family emergency and didn't get the chance to discuss my insurance questions.

Kindly,
Julia.

It appears her post was deleted, probably due to the fact that business promotion is not allowed in the forum, or they might have identified her as a scammer. I don't know.

Here is a link to information here on this website that might be helpful:

expat.com/en/guide/north-america/mexico/34179-health-insurance-in-mexico

Thank you very much, OceanBeach!

Kindly,
Julia.

Thank you very much, OceanBeach!

Kindly,
Julia.

You are welcome.

Please check your private messages.

I sent you a link to a site with more information

Hello everyone,  seeking local private health insurance? any leads? recommendations, what people found helpful? thanks in advance.

Hello,

My name is Julia and I find myself in the same situation for health insurance. I just wanted to share with you that so far, I haven't accepted any quotes from the myriad of companies I've looked at. As the date of my arrival in Mexico draws closer and closer, I feel that the best course of action will be to wait until I get to my destination and take it from there. Good luck in finding what you require.

Kindly,
Julia.

Hello Julia,
thank you for your note.  I visited SMA fifteen years ago and I am going back there in Nov for a short visit.  I will be medicare elegible in Dec of 2022 and that is the time I am planning to make a move to Mexico.  I have to make other big decision such as selling my home or note, etc, etc.  I was advised not to rely on Mexico general health system, although affordable it is not reliable.  Private insurance take into account previous health conditions, I was told.  I would be curious to know if medicare cover something or all while living oversees.  Do you know?
warm regards,
Juan (Wolf)

Hi, Juan,

Thank you for responding to my massage. I'm from Canada so our medical care is quite different. I have read the same information about local medical care in Mexico. What I do find encouraging is the cost per visit to a Dr., I'm still looking for health insurance as I write this. Good luck in finding what you need.

Kind regards,
Julia.