Dental work in Mexico 2015-2016

What dentist(s) do you go to in Mexico?

It's costing over $1000 a crown in the US (replacement crown) and I'm wondering if it's worth it to travel to Mexico for dental work.

How does your dentist and their prices compare?

IT1 wrote:

What dentist(s) do you go to in Mexico?

It's costing over $1000 a crown in the US (replacement crown) and I'm wondering if it's worth it to travel to Mexico for dental work.

How does your dentist and their prices compare?

A year or so ago, I had a crown done for 1500 Pesos.  That was at a time when I was get 13.5 to a dollar net or call it $110.  The results seem to be no worse than the US.  Just as in the US (my experience) the quality of the work can vary greatly,  I suspect prices will vary in Mexico depending on the location.  In Algodones where a lot of Americans go for dental and medical tourism or Mexico City where prices are generally higher, 1500 pesos may not come close.

Way cheaper. I have had two crowns done in Cancun Centro in Mexico but for really cheap I went to Antigua, Guatemala and got one done for $300.  That was a few years back but you can always check on line for prices of dental work.  Guatemala has now become a tourist health destination.  Also had good dental work done in Lima,Peru. Had all my bottom teeth capped as they were  crooked.  I was too poor when young to afford braces.   Had a filling done in Havana. Cuba though place had a real retro feel.

If you do a search for "mexico dental" you will find many websites about dental care in Mexico esp. in Los Algodones which supposedly has more dentists per capita than anywhere else in the world.  You should be able to find reviews as well.

I use a dentist in the Zone Rio area of Tijuana.  He is a sole denttist office (not a clinic) about 10 miles from the border in Zone Rio (safe area) across from the Cultural Center. ($10 taxi ride with taxi libre cab!)

I did not go to the dentist the first three years I was in Playas.  I am allergic to most anesthetics.  I am allergic to the substance that is applied to the gum before the "needle".  I get the "needle" straight,very painful.

Dr. Raul Mendiola R.
Plaza Fiesta - Paseo de los Heroes #9415 - 5B
Zona Rio, Tijuana B.C.
011-52 (664) 634-0933

I found this dentist on the Tijuana blog when an anchor tooth holding  my partial in place  broke off at the gum line..  I had paid 4600$ in Newport Beach for this partial just 4 years earlier.

l can only say my initial experience was so great. I couldn't believe it. 

First of all his office  is on the second floor of a rather ordinary looking building "catycornered" across from the Cultural Center and just down from a McDonalds.  That gave me a little concern as I was accustomed to more "posh" surroundings in Newport Beach.    However his office is very modern, very clean and he has all the latest equipment.  It could easily have been my dentist's office in NB.......except it is smaller and as I said, it is up a flight of exterior stairs in a very ordinary looking building.

Then came the good news.............
If he replaced my bridge the cost would be $800 but he thought he might save it.  He had me get a root canal from his colleague Claudia Rodriquez DDS  whose office is across the Blvd from his office  near the Cultural Center.

I have had numerous root canals over the years, all lengthy procedures and all painful.  However i had no choice but to go.    The procedure took ONLY 35 minutes, helped as she could watch what she was doing on a computer screen (An  unfamiliar process to me and I had nio idea  how that is done!)     It was ABSOLUTELY PAINLESS!  and cost $180.   WHOOPEE!.

Dr, Mendiola, himself,  did a deep cleaning  as I had not been to the dentist in 3 years prior to visiting him,  The charge for the cleaning and a full set of xrays was $50. I think cleaning only is $361 I always found teeth cleanings to be "torture" when done by a hygenist in other So California dentists" offices.   I hated the experience and longed for anesthetic just to get a cleaning.  Again this was absolutely PAINLESS!   When Dr Mendiola worked on my teeth, he gave me the "needle" without any deadening of the gum.  Again NO pain.   He was able to save the tooth that had broken off as a continued anchor for my bridge.

I could not believer after  an aduilt life time of PAINFUL dentist visits that this was    PAIN FREE.

I would recommend him in a NY minute.  Yes there are clinics closer to the border.  But he is absolutely the most professional (not to mention
painfree) dentist I have ever encountered.    I will go to see him for the rest of my days.  My last visit was $50 including filing.  I have never had a visit with Dr. Mendiola that  cost more than $50 (bridge work excepted and it was less than $100.

You will be happy that you visited him.    His office gal has limited English but he is very fluent.  When she encounters language problems, he comes promptly to the phone.

I've been to Dental Bernal in Los Algodones four times since 2006 for a multitude of work.

In 2008, I needed a root canal, post, buildup, and crown. Nothing wrong with the root, just not much tooth left to crown.

In Seattle, the quote was $2,400. I had it done at Dental Bernal for $1,200...and that included round-trip airfare from Seattle to Las Vegas, a rental car for a week, and hotels for a week (yes, I spent two days at the Orleans before flying home).

Dental work still fine after almost seven years!

PM me for the journal from my first trip in 2006.

There are several dentists who live across the border in the U.S. but their dental practice is in TJ I assume because it is more lucrative.  Google "tijuana dentists" and you will find plenty of them.  Los Algodones generally will be cheaper than the TJ area due to the # of dentists and competition.

In SMA we have an excellent dentist who is totally bilingual, trained in US for implants and his assistant is a dentist. A crown is 6000 pesos. That includes lab, X-Rays etc. I realize there are cheaper but often you get what you pay for.

Well, if you have to pay $500 for airfare, it probably isn't!

Thank you for posting your experience in regards to dental work in Mexico. By far most of you have had a good experience. Yes! So the idea of traveling for dental work is not unreasonable.

Travel. It sounds like Tijuana would be fine coming from California. From the East Coast going to California, Arizona, Cancun or Guatemala there seem to be flights in the $300 - $500 range out of Atlanta where I'm at now (source Google flights explorer).

Fortunately, I can still get cleanings and x-rays done for under $100 so it's not worth the travel. However beyond cleanings, x-ray and a simple filling the prices really take off so most work is put off. Eventually though one gets to the point of wanting or having to do something.

So if I want to get my teeth fixed (and not just a tooth) the plan to develop is a relationship with a dentist elsewhere. The next time I'm about to spend $1000 or more in the US, it would be worth traveling there to find that dentist and begin the relationship.

Please keep the posts coming on this thread as varying locations could be in someone's future reading this thread. Thank you for your advice.

arleneruby wrote:

Well, if you have to pay $500 for airfare, it probably isn't!

It was certainly worth it for me!
"In Seattle, the quote was $2,400. I had it done at Dental Bernal for $1,200...and that included round-trip airfare from Seattle to Las Vegas, a rental car for a week, and hotels for a week (yes, I spent two days at the Orleans before flying home)."

Don't spend the money to travel just for dental work. Fit the dental work into your vacation plans,  See the dentist on you first day  and then you can return as necessary while at other times you enjoy the beach or seeing the sights.

Wow.  That's great.  I will keep that in mind.    Thanks for this info!

this is what  I always do and it works just fine for me vacation plus my teeth in good shape.  i had work done in Peru that would have cost me 20,000 in isa

Many times if you go outside the tourist areas you save more money than those catering to expats where they jack up the price such as in SMA.

I would like to follow this thread. The important thing is the competence, not the cost! Look at it as a travel opportunity too, Mexico is wonderful!

I do not know about crowns but I can tell you that I had to have an emergency root canal in two stages in San Miguel.  It was done by Dr. Hector Morales Nieto.  His equipment included a high quality Zeiss microscope and was 3000 pesos.  They were extremely accommodating.

Contact mexicomike.com

Ajijic Mexico is a village of 8,000 american retirees who use dentists,
cleaning can be $15 to $25.00 USA a crown is
about $375 and often negotiable....cavity fillings with high tech equipment, computer cameras instead of x-rAY MACHINES  $45 TO $70 EACH- majority of dentists are women
which is good, they are far more gentle and equally detail minded ..
...my Mexican dentist is better trained
than my dentist in Santa Barbara,  who charged $1800 a crown.

Kcoscia wrote:

I do not know about crowns but I can tell you that I had to have an emergency root canal in two stages in San Miguel.  It was done by Dr. Hector Morales Nieto.  His equipment included a high quality Zeiss microscope and was 3000 pesos.  They were extremely accommodating.

It's one half or less in Zacatecas.  Ask me in a year how good it was.  Seriously, I had expensive root canals in the Atlanta Area and in Jacksonville, FL between 1998 and 2002.  They were $1500 each and the dental insurance paid only $500 each.

My experience with root canals and crowns dating back to 1980 is that only time will tell whether the work was competent or not.

In Mexico, it's best to try and find someone who has a long history with a provider who can give an unqualified recommendation.  Then there's the matter of trust.  If you have been bitten by incompetent providers, you may not recognize the competent one when you see him.  That applies to all forms of healthcare.

You asked where i go for dentistry that´s wonderful?
Dental Del Lago, Dr. Marta in Ajijic Jalisco on Lake Chapala tel:52-376-766-3897

In San Miguel Dr Isaias Garcia. He specializes in implants and crowns and after becoming a dentist here in Mexico, 4 more years training in the US. I have had extensive work and my husband who has lived in both Canada and the US says best dentist ever.

He is here 2 days a week and rest in Queretaro. He is totally billingual and his assistant is a dentist. Same plaza as OKO and Italian Coffee, across from Mega. His office is upstairs  PH: 442-242-0551    cell: 442-186-6605   email:  [email protected]

saludos

Sonia

Dental work, including serious stuff like root canals and implants is very inexpensive vs the US. Just be sure you find a good provider, because there are a lot of bozos out there. Get some recommendations.

This forum could be very useful if people who have had successful work done - having lived with it for a while, of course - could provide precise recommendations. This is very important! I am looking too....

Having had what I hope is a successful root canal, I will be in need of replacing the cap.  Anybody in San Miguel de Allende have a dentist they recommend for this?

As above: in San Miguel Dr Isaias Garcia. He specializes in implants and crowns and after becoming a dentist here in Mexico, 4 more years training in the US. I have had extensive work and my husband who has lived in both Canada and the US says best dentist ever.

He is here 2 days a week and rest in Queretaro. He is totally billingual and his assistant is a dentist. Same plaza as OKO and Italian Coffee, across from Mega. His office is upstairs  PH: 442-242-0551    cell: 442-186-6605   email:  isaias5[at]hotmail.com

Sonia

SuzanneFromSeattle wrote:

I've been to Dental Bernal in Los Algodones four times since 2006 for a multitude of work.

How did you begin?

I'm a little overwhelmed going for just one crown because with travel and inconvenience (I'm a homebody) it would only save me a couple hundred.

However, if I was to do my wish list of dental work, that I could not afford in the U.S., then I would be saving thousands like others. I'm a little reluctant to do the wish list but once there I might be tempted.

How would you begin if you were me?

I would begin the same way I began in 2005. Someone at work told me that someone else had gone to Los Algodones. After talking to her, I started researching.

It did kind of concern me that I'd be going alone but, after a lifetime of "going it alone," I  figured it would be a good story!

Seriously, if you want to read the 60-page journal from my first trip (includes other things like what time zone, who speaks English, US vs. Mexican cash, etc.) PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Like you, I intended to go for one or two items. Due to the quality of work AND the price, I ended up with way more than I could EVER have afforded here in the US! AND, I've flown into Phoenix, San Diego, Ontario/Burbank, and Las Vegas...so VACATIONS!

The last thing you need to feel is fear. After my first walk over the border, I felt like I was going to see friends.

You may be surprised that almost any dental treatment can be performed in Mexico. Its border cities specifically Los Algodones (and Tijuana) specialize in dental procedures. Not only that, American retirees visit border cities like Los Algodones yearly to purchase prescription drugs. Because there are plenty of clinics there for different specializations, many journey to border cities to have their eyeglasses made, shop for cheaper prescriptions drugs and many goods not found in their home country. Let's take a look at Los Algodones and Tijuana, two Mexico's border cities and the procedures they specialize in. Find the right dentist here

I'm interested in getting ALL of my 9 gold crowns removed and replaced with NO METAL.  I'm going to Merida in January.  Any suggestions for this city?????

I might just make a comment here.......in general.....metal in the mouth is not an optimal situation, as it's not for any part of the body.  It interferes with the electricity that runs in our bodies, and relates directly to healing.  I have a ton of metal and want it all out, especially the fillings with mercury.  They are very disruptive for optimal healing.

And finally, the reality is that a tooth should never be saved after a root canal.  The tooth is dead and can harbor infection under the crown and bother you unknowingly your entire life.  Dead stuff should never be left in the body.

Just saying......don't shoot the messenger.  This is a pricey investment on my part so you can tell I feel strongly about it.

Thank you so much for any references,
Ally

Replace the bridge was $800 USD ?  I'm faced with a similar issue. I need to have a tooth saved which is part of my partial bridge. I just had a root canal and spent $1250 at endodentist, and $140 at general dentist. General dentist now days the root canal tooth has too much decay, needs to be fixed and my bridge needs to be replaced for a whopping $5,000+ usd. Mexico is looking like the pace to go.

I had similar work done about three years ago in Zacatecas.  Total cost was around 300 - 500 dollars.  Two root canals, extraction of 2 teeth that couldn't be saved crowns and a partial plate.

A lot of Americans go to Los Algodones, Baja California, MX just the other side of the Arizona border from Yuma, AZ.

There are several MD and dentist groups that cater to Americans.  Googling "Algodones mexico" should bring links to dentist offices where you can inquire.  I have no idea what your travel expenses might be.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Los+A … 14.7365544

I have had excellent results with my dentist in Baja.   And his prices are very very reasonable.  My bridge work in Newport Beach cost $4600.  He would have replaced it for $800.  However he was able to save it for me.  My no pain 35 minute root canal was $170.  I am allergic to the numbing agents that numb the gum for THE NEEDLE.  He is the only dentist who has ever given me THE NEEDLE without any pain when the gum has not been numbed.  And I am a pain phobia freak.

If you are anywhere near the Baja Norte area I will be happy to provide his contact information, Please send me a private message.  If I give his information here the post will be taken down by the owner of this blog.....who doesn't want  anything posted that would interfere with his money making needs.

I am leaving Sunday for Puerto Penasco.  I plan to spend a week enjoying the warm weather and the beach.  But my first  stop on Tuesday is my dentist who will start the procedure for a new crown.  My dentist is Albuquerque would charge me $800 for my deductible......my dentist in Puerto Penasco is doing my crown for $300.  Very modern facility, well-trained dentist, great price.....in Mexico.

Hello folks. I would like to know if anyone has recommendations in Mexico for protheses - I am beyond bridges, implants, root canals etc. I need new and false teeth, sigh...So if someone can help me there with a KNOWN entity, I would appreciate it - thanks so much - Jean

How is your crown and other work holding up?

How have your root canals And crowns held up?
A year later - was it worth it?
Would you recommend your dentist?
If yes, what is his/her name & location.

That part of Mexico is a bit more expensive to get to because I live in Florida.
I'm especially interested in the Yucatan area.

Good luck!!! Please let me know how it goes.
Can you send me a private message about your experience and the dentist name you use?
Thank you so much!