Learning German in Germany

I was having a conversation with a friend who wants to move to Germany and I decided I would ask here because I am also interested in knowing, even though I already know German and this doesn't apply to me.

My friend thinks that learning German would be better in Germany and not online. She needs structure and thinks that if it is done online and she can take it whenever she wants that she will never get it done. She is Canadian also. I told her that she could get a visa to go to Germany and learn it but according to the visa requirements she would not be allowed to work while being in language classes. I told her if she went to university that she could learn German and she could work, but she doesn't think that is a good idea because she has to have a full course load in order to go to university which would mean taking other classes and she can't take those classes unless she knows German. The same goes with working, no point in working unless she knows German. I agree with her.

My question is:
How hard is it to find a place to rent in Germany with no income, assuming she has enough saved up to cover rent. I have been looking on ebay classifieds and it looks like a lot of places want copies of your last 3 paychecks. She can't work there on a language visa. Has anyone gone to Germany to be a student either in university or just taking language and not have had a job? Have you been a student and decided not to get student housing, but went for an apartment instead? Was this difficult? Would showing proof that you have money to cover your stay for a whole year be sufficient? or is that going to be pretty impossible for her?

I am interested in your input,
Carolyn

I agree that being in a country where they speak the language gives a lot of opportunity to learn it better. One is emerged in it and can experience it in action rather than just theoretically out of text books.

It is correct that one cannot work on a language school visa. One can work part-time on a study visa for university. University is for upper levels of study and learning a language from the beginning is not seen this way unless it is a foreign (other than German) language. One can learn Germanistic, which is the equivalence of learning English in an American University – it will assume one knows the basics and be focused on the complexities. One also doesn't major in mathematics in University if they haven't learned simple arithmetic. So to learn German one needs to go to a language school or get a private tutor.

To study at University in a German taught program (most of them) will usually require a C1 level. To learn German parallel while doing an English taught program is theoretically possible but takes a lot of discipline and would not leave time to work. And one should know work on a study visa is strictly limited to part time, details of which are covered in multiple other threads on this site. But the only jobs a student is likely to get are low paying ones like working in food service, not likely enough to live from. And even if one works, they still need to have the required amount (currently a bit over 10,200 Euros) needed annually in a blocked bank account to get the study visa if needed (any non-EU person).

And while most but not all Universities in Germany have some student housing, it is usually very limited. The vast majority of students find their own accommodation; usually in shared apartments (known as WGs) with other students or young people. Lots of long threads about this subject on this site as well.

How old is she and where is she in her education?

Has she finished high school?

A Bachelor's degree?

Master's?