Rent and utilities costs

I got a job in Malta and will be moving there soon. Wanted to know what percentage of people's salary they are spending on monthly rent and utilities. I was told Malta was an affordable country and when living in UK I was spending about 35% of my salary on rent and utilities and that was having a place to myself. But in Malta I've not been able to get even close to that percentage, and now looking at spending nearly 50% of my monthly salary on rent and utilities if I want my own place.
I'm looking to spend less than €600 on rent and utilities and it's looking to be almost impossible. I've been looking in the Msida area, I've had some viewings but the apartments have not been as advertised and I've had agents/landlords refuse to answer questions. If anyone has any advice on renting I would really appreciate it.

Ranger50 wrote:

I got a job in Malta and will be moving there soon. Wanted to know what percentage of people's salary they are spending on monthly rent and utilities. I was told Malta was an affordable country and when living in UK I was spending about 35% of my salary on rent and utilities and that was having a place to myself. But in Malta I've not been able to get even close to that percentage, and now looking at spending nearly 50% of my monthly salary on rent and utilities if I want my own place.
I'm looking to spend less than €600 on rent and utilities and it's looking to be almost impossible. I've been looking in the Msida area, I've had some viewings but the apartments have not been as advertised and I've had agents/landlords refuse to answer questions. If anyone has any advice on renting I would really appreciate it.

Our rent including utilities is nearly 50% of our income and we live in Gozo!
You would be able to find somewhere suitable for a single person here in Gozo but then you would spend 2 to 3 hours a day commuting to Msida at a cost of up to €150-200 a month if you used the fast ferry service to Valletta and courtesy bus to University area of Msida.
Unfortunately €600 does not go very far in Malta (or Gozo for that matter.)

Have you tried other areas?

In which area is your actual job? As inland may be cheaper.

I think a budget of 600 for 1 person in accomodation by themselves is not so easy to find. Rental prices have come down during the pandemic but at this end of the market it is hard to find. I have a 3 double bed flat and have about 50 a month on utilities, that is probably on the low side. I think your options would be Co-Working hubs there are a few arround at that sort of price for a room in a shared house and utilities included, from the ones I have seen you get good quality accomodation for the price. For a double room in a shared flat I would think between 350 and 500 would cover it and maybe another option. You can find a bed in a shared room in a shared flat from 175 euros a month. There are cheaper areas, but they come with transport time/costs/stress so am unsure of that pays off, it depends on on work location. I would get here first, stay somewhere temporary and take a good look arround rather than try and fix everything before arriving. There used to be little choice with places moving really quick,  but there are more options on the market now and deals to be done. Agents will charge you 50% of the first months rent, in my opinion a good agent does a good job and was worth the money for me all the times I have rented, which is a few! Hope that helps, best wishes for your journey.

We have quite a large three bedroom penthouse fully air
conditioned, in the winter we use this as heating, and find
€50 a month more then covers our utility bills.

I need job in Malta can some one help me I am from India Bangalore

Paul Raj84 wrote:

I need job in Malta can some one help me I am from India Bangalore

If you read other posts you will know that we cannot help you.