Trouble On the Coast and Mafia Carnage

Off-shore and airstrip drug activity along the Ecuador Coast is so bad in Manabí Province that radar may be installed shortly on private property.

By presidential decree, property owners in parts of the province will be subject to the installation of radar equipment to detect drug activity. Army officials say the radar will be operational by the end of this month, August 2021.

Recent murders inside Ecuadorian prisons and a four-fold increase in Guayaquil homicides since 2019 are being blamed on coastal drug-transport activity sponsored by cartels in Mexico and Colombia.

Officials say private airstrips in the San Isidro Hills near Montecristi have been used as a hub for drug transport from Peru to North America.

Source... www.cuencahighlife.com

Protesters moved in Manabí for radar installation.

Five hundred Ecuadorian soldiers and 150 police dislodged a small group of protesters from a hill in Manabí Province near Montecristi this weekend.

The maneuver signaled the start of installing radar equipment in the area to detect drug-trafficking aircraft .. in accordance with last week's declaration by Presidente Lasso that Manabí is now a military defense reserve.

The government says that most of the protesters had been hired to facilitate the transfer of drugs between Peru and points North.

Unfortunately this is all going on very close to where I will be living in a month...

Damon.

Yes, not good news. Smacks of govt overreach to me. Not a move to encourage foreign investment in that region which is generally a favored area and one which Ive long considered myself. I dont want any govt/military radar shoved down my throat. Is it possible that this new President is even worse than Moreno? Hes a life long banker after all no doubt with deep ties to the internation banksters which have been driving Ecuadors indebtedness for years, according to John Perkins, author of Confessions of an Economic Hitman........good read btw........

International narcotics cartels based in Mexico and Colombia have been using Manabí province, Ecuador, as a location to transport/transfer illegal drugs from Peru en route to the United States, according to Ecuador's government and military.

The radar presidentially ordered to be installed on private property in the province is supposed to be fully operational by August 31st.

cccmedia in Quito

Would be more democratic and acceptable if the govt would buy a few strategic properties on the coast and then install their radar equipment...You cant just come onto my finca and tell me youre gonna plant one on my front lawn.....Aint gonna work! Theres gonna be sparks flying......

When hundreds of military and police personnel show up to install radar under presidential decree, such as is now in effect in Manabí province, no Expat should be the party starting the flying sparks.

Consider this a word to the wise.

cccmedia in Quito

Ecuador's government is authorizing stepped-up roadway inspections in coastal areas .. along with 24-hour patrols of the roads -- in order to combat drug-related crime.

Presidente Lasso has issued a new emergency declaration.  It technically is for the entire country, but el presidente  says the purpose is to reduce drug-related crime in the coastal provinces.  He says he will introduce legislation to strengthen Ecuador's capabilities in fighting criminal activity.

According to the interior minister, homicides have doubled in the past year in coastal areas, not only because of the country's connection to drug transport between other countries, but also because of crime related to coastal Ecuadorians' consumption of illegal narcotics.

source...www.cuencahighlife.com

No noticed any more road stops and I drive the coast road all the time.

Did see a small aeroplane flying very low heading to Ayangue whilst on the way to Salinas one morning though...

We travel the roads around Jipijapa every few days, and there has been no noticeable change in Police presence. You always get stopped at certain times of day.

Police visas canceled as U.S., Ecuador

investigate drug-related corruption.

Are/were high-level police and military

officials of Ecuador being paid off by

the drug cartels that have been operating in

the country's coastal region?

The U.S. Ambassador to Ecuador,

Michael Fitzpatrick, has just made such

a charge .. as the U.S. has canceled

hundreds of visas for Ecuadorian

police officials, ex-police and their

families.

Ecuador's interior minister has announced

that 19 police commanders are

being investigated.

Ecuador and the U.S. government are

making separate investigations into

alleged payoffs made to police officials

of Ecuador.

Emergency declared in two provinces

following killings of police.

At least five police officers were killed

in a series of explosions on Tuesday

of this week.  Presidente Lasso has declared

a state of emergency in the two provinces

where the explosions occurred --

Guayas and Esmeraldas.

Sr. Lasso believes that the explosions were

cartel violence in retaliation for the recent

transfer of imprisoned gang leaders.  The

transfers had been implemented in order

to isolate the prisoners  from potential contact

with drug traffickers.

Ecuador's coastal region has been a

key link for traffickers moving illicit shipments

headed for the U.S. and Europe.

Sources... Reuters, www.cuencahighlife.com

Curfew hours changed.

The curfews imposed by presidential declaration

in some coastal provinces have been eased.  The

curfews now begin two hours later, at 11 pm.

El Presidente imposed the curfews following

deadly explosions described earlier in this thread.

He has delayed the curfew hours following

complaints from business and tourism sectors

that the curfews were causing economic pain.

The end time of the curfews remains 5 a.m.

News Digest --

Huge number of weapons confiscated.

Authorities say over 7,600 weapons have

been seized from criminal-gang suspects

in Ecuador this year. 

The U.S.A. has been assisting Ecuador in

its anti-drug-trafficking efforts, providing

the Republic with technology and

surveillance equipment.

Most of the gang activity this year has

been taking place in coastal areas of

Ecuador.

News source... www.cuencahighlife.com

Warden assassinated.

The prison crisis and its violence have

spread to Quito with the assassination of

the warden of El Inca prison.

Colonel Santiago Loza was shot down by

hitmen in Quito on his way to work

at the prison.

The murder of Colonel Loza followed

the transfer of the notorious gang leader

of Los Lobos from Quito to

a maximum-security prison in Guayaquil

and the latest of the prison riots that

have left hundreds of inmates dead

in the last two years.

Assembly backs plan to use military

versus organized crime.

Ecuador's General Assembly has voted

overwhelmingly to endorse El Presidente's plan

to employ the military in the fight

against organized crime.

The vote favoring the plan was 116 to 2.

The Constitution will have to be changed

to enable the expansion of the military's role,

and the Assembly vote authorizes the formation

of a commission to make the Constitutional

change.

Source.. Cuenca HighLife

2022 a record year for

violent deaths in Ecuador.

A record number of violent deaths were

recorded last year in Ecuador -- 4439.

That was more than double the total for

Eighty percent of the violent deaths

occurred in the drug route provinces

along the coast -- Guayas, Manabí,

El Oro, Los Rios and Esmeraldas.

Source... El Mercurio (Cuenca)

@cccmedia, how do these murderers get their guns?  Ecuador is not like the U.S. where one can go buy guns so conveniently at pawnshops on U.S. street corners.  When I see the amount of guns and other weapons confiscated by Ecuadorian law enforcement agencies, I can hardly believe it!.  It looks like it's in the U.S.   I've only been in Ecuador for three years but I can definitely see a huge difference in the violent crimes being commented on the streets, and I don't know that it's always drug dealers.  They look like young thugs who merely prey on normal citizens.

@cccmedia, how do these murderers get their guns? Ecuador is not like the U.S. where one can go buy guns so conveniently at pawnshops on U.S. street corners. When I see the amount of guns and other weapons confiscated by Ecuadorian law enforcement agencies, I can hardly believe it!. It looks like it's in the U.S.  I've only been in Ecuador for three years but I can definitely see a huge difference in the violent crimes being commented on the streets, and I don't know that it's always drug dealers. They look like young thugs who merely prey on normal citizens.
-@Coxhere1

No, Ecuador is not like the U.S. - it is much more open for criminals!

"...the illicit small arms trade in Latin America is thriving. The region is a smuggler's paradise: A vast coastline, densely forested mountains, porous borders, clandestine airstrips, widespread government corruption, a lack [of] governmental resources and political will to confront the trade, and entrenched and powerful narco-traffickers—all have contributed to the unregulated flow of weapons, drugs, and people."

The above from a 2008 article:

https://nacla.org/article/small-arms-tr … in-america

Here in a 2021 article the arms trade and weapons availability in Ecuador is explored:

https://insightcrime.org/news/ecuador-n … afficking/

"Since 2020, gang violence has skyrocketed in Ecuador. What began as a war between the country's two most significant gangs, the Choneros and the Lagartos has since spiraled into a multi-faceted conflict fought to control drug trafficking inside and outside prisons. An additional factor is the reported presence of Mexican groups."

In Ecuador as elsewhere, thugs involved with

moving illegal narcotics internationally can

readily find access to other verboten  products,

namely the guns used in the on-the-rise

violent killings that plague our coastal provinces.

cccmedia in Quito

@cccmedia, but aren't murders also occurring on the streets of Quito as well?  Not merely on the coast? T.V. broadcasts show "normal" people walking along the streets of Quito minding their own business, and thugs ride up on motorcycles, hop off, and assault these "regular" people who'd been walking along, innocently, taking their possessions. One video showed a woman with a small child being assaulted on a street! The woman and small child did not look like they're involved in drug trafficking.

When 20 percent of the killing is done away

from the coastal provinces, of course there

will be instances of mayhem in Quito and

other places.

The alleged assaults described on this thread

recorded in Quito on so-called regular people

are anecdotal.

Back in the day when I worked in TV news

in a middle-size US market, it was extremely

rare that our staff photographers captured

footage of anything approximating this kind

of attack.

These days, with most pedestrians

carrying cell phones, of course you're going

to see such type of attack more frequently

in a city such as Quito.

#chickenlittle

@cccmedia, "anecdotal????"

Anecdotal, in this case.

Referencing one or few incidents that do not necessarily

represent a wide-ranging trend or phenomenon

in Quito.

Political shootings.

Ecuador held mid-term elections today

(Sunday, February 7, 2023), following a

bloody election season on the Coast

in which several candidates were murdered.

Omar Menendez, a mayoral candidate of the

Revolucion Ciudadana Party, was shot

at his campaign headquarters in Puerto Lopez

and died on election eve -- apparently the

victim of a political assassination.  The attack

also claimed the life of an unidentified 16-year-old

and injured two other persons.

Several weeks ago (Jan. 21), a mayoral candidate

in Salinas, Julio Cesar Ferachio, was murdered.

In August, an announced candidate

for mayor of Manta, Gerardo Delgado, was also

gunned down and killed by hitmen.

All the killings are carried out by criminal

gang members and are connected to the illegal

drug trade on the Coast, according to a Manta

political commentator who is quoted by

Cuenca High Life.

Murdered candidate elected in Puerto Lopez.

Omar Menendez, who was shot to death by

moto hitmen on Saturday just hours before

the polls opened, still won the most votes

in the Puerto Lopez election for mayor.

Menendez was a candidate of the

Revolución Ciudadana party .. and it is expected

another member of that party will be named to

replace him.  This is the same party that is

aligned with exiled ex-presidente Rafael Correa and

whose mayoral candidates in Quito and Guayaquil

were victorious in their big-city elections on Sunday.

A teenager was also killed by the gunmen who

staged the Menendez assassination at the

candidate's campaign headquarters and then

fled the scene on motos.

Source... Yahoo!News

This is disturbing news. While I am aware that crime everywhere, the forum posts indicate that the coastal areas are especially violent at this time.

We have been planning retirement somewhere along the coast since 2018. Our 2 week exploratory trip was in the planning stages for May/June of this year.

From the data presented above, it might be wiser/safer, if we take Ecuador off the "move to" list for at least a while.

Appreciate any feedback and/or response.

@Jeff_Angie The city of Salinas, close to the coast, in Santa Elena Province might be a safer place to look for a place.  However, I agree that on up the coast and into Manabi and Esmeralda Provinces might not be such good places to buy and live.  If the coast is your only choice, I'd consider Salinas.  Otherwise, I think I'd agree that it would be safer to check out houses and/or condos in other coastal areas other than in Ecuador.

The conversation continues... Does an arriving

Expat take the coast off the map?  Is all of Ecuador

off the map?

I have no problem with taking the coast off the map

until and unless the authorities get things under control.

The Andean cities remain on the map.

Cuenca is a world-class destination for retirees and

others.  Quito is a major travel hub with modern

shopping and a World Heritage central area.  Both

these metros have many neighborhoods that offer

relatively safe, urban living. 

Trade in your idea of an ocean view for a

swimming pool and the lower-elevation suburbs

of the Quito metro come into focus.  Also consider

Cotacachi and the Vilca-Loja axis.

cccmedia

Coxhere1 and cccmedia,

Thank you both for the speedy and informative information.

Coxhere1, you mention Salinas. Didn't that location just have a mayoral candidate murdered?

Not sure how comfortable we would be in a location where the public officials are targets.

Jeff

@Jeff_Angiee I wasn't aware of a murder of a politician in Salinas.  I mentioned Salinas as being less a target of the drug cartels because of its location, due west of Guayaquil.  There is a direct highway linking Guayaquil and Manta with no need to go through Salinas.  Salinas is rather, geographically, out of the way.  As has already been noted, no place is devoid of crime, including violent crime.

The murders of politicians in coastal communities

including Salinas and Puerto López were covered

on this thread, posted just prior (chronologically)

to Jeff and Angie's recent post.

The Salinas assassination occurred last August.

cccmedia

@Jeff_Angiee I wasn't aware of a murder of a politician in Salinas. I mentioned Salinas as being less a target of the drug cartels because of its location, due west of Guayaquil. There is a direct highway linking Guayaquil and Manta with no need to go through Salinas. Salinas is rather, geographically, out of the way. As has already been noted, no place is devoid of crime, including violent crime.
-@Coxhere1

A lot of mafia and drug activity at the  fishing ports as local fisherman being used to transport it along the coast, piracy is up as well

Although it is true a lot of drug and violent events happen around Manabi and Esmeraldas, I'd like to express the fact that everyday life activities continue, and, as long as one avoids dangerous areas, don't get involved with unknown activities, and, don't mingle with dubious people, regardless of the City you choose to reside in, you will be OK. enjoying the climate, the tranquility, the warm Ocean, the affordable sea food and so many other new things.

This is my 7th. year spending the "winter months" in TONSUPA - Esmeraldas.

Although it is true a lot of drug and violent events happen around Manabi and Esmeraldas, I'd like to express the fact that everyday life activities continue, and, as long as one avoids dangerous areas, don't get involved with unknown activities, and, don't mingle with dubious people, regardless of the City you choose to reside in, you will be OK. enjoying the climate, the tranquility, the warm Ocean, the affordable sea food and so many other new things.
This is my 7th. year spending the "winter months" in TONSUPA - Esmeraldas.
-@marcomueses

mostly, but you can be wrong place wrong time. 5 armed hold ups the last 2-3 weeks along the sta elena coast (olon / manglarato / montanita and around

Yes, I agree, unfortunately one can not foresee the future in order to avoid places where harming could occur. On the same talking, harm could happen in any Country, any City, any place, at any time, not necessarily ONLY on the Ecuadorian Coast.

We are careful and take precautions regardless where we travel to. So far, we have managed to do all daily activities including walking everyday along the beach, traveling to Esmeraldas for groceries, going to Atacames for manicure, hair cutting, Restaurants, etc. etc. without any incidents.  For us, it has been worth every minute of our staying. We enjoy the tranquility we find in Tonsupa .

TV news presenter at the port of Guayaquil

injured in one of five mail-bomb terrorist attacks.

Lenin Martieda was slightly injured in one hand

when the device detonated as he inserted its

envelope into a computer in the Ecuavisa newsroom

in Guayaquil.

Another newsroom in Guayaquil, TC Television,

also received such devices that included potentially

explosive capsules.  Police managed to safely

disarm this second mailing.

Several undisclosed newsrooms also received

such packages, with no explosions or injuries

ensuing.

A terrorism investigation has been launched and

the government has announced it will not

tolerate attacks on journalists by drug traffickers

or others seeking to suppress news reporting.

Source... Reuters

This  has to be nipped in the bud.   Every thing should be thrown to stop this.  God Bless those that are injured and I hope for all of you a speedy recovery.

Hospital Carnage.

Hit-man style assassinations took out hospital directors

in Guayaquil and Esmeraldas this week.

The director of Teodoro Maldonado hospital in Guayaquil

was shot down by two men who stopped her car.

In Esmeraldas, the director of the Delfinas Torres hospital,

Rubén Hernández, was assassinated via 'hit'.

After Maldonado Hospital directors and their families were

issued 'resign or else' warnings, multiple directors

have resigned their positions at Maldonado since the

assassinations.

Due to violent incidents including the

mail bombings and hospital murders

noted just above on this thread, it has

become obvious that stronger measures

are required to protect Ecuadorian

citizens and Expats.

El Presidente has noticed.