Credit Cards & OTP

My Name is Ryan, and I have been living in the Philippines for sometime working with an organization that is helping with livelihood projects.  It is still nice to every now an then buy stuff online from amazon or other US online stores, however I have run into the issue of them needing OTP confirmation to a number from the USA.  Currently I am with Capital one, and I can't even get into my captial one app without a text to a US number which I dont have here in the Philippines.  Does anybody have a card that requests the OTP confirmation through their App or through email or through international phone number.  Or has anybody found a phone service that works for OTP confirmations?

Thank You for any help

Ryan

Hey Ryan, I ran into the same issue. I did some research and discovered that you can get a virtual phone number in the USA. I use google voice, its free and now I have a phone number just like before and can get those texts and I can also call U.S. companies through the computer. good luck

Good to know Google voice works for this purpose.. It's the only number I use.

Thanks for the info! Do you link the voice.google to your Philippine phone number? I'm in the US but we're planning the move back in November, I'll be cutting my ties to Verizon.

Ryan Hull90 wrote:

Or has anybody found a phone service that works for OTP confirmations?

Thank You for any help
Ryan

Many times this is a catch 22. My Savings & Loan, plus Bank or America has options. The S&L will phone you, since I have a stateside number (voip) they call with the code, Bank of America has an option and they will email you.

Another problem I had was switching phone numbers here. I wanted to change the number on my Shopee account, but in order to do so you have to log in to shopee account. Then they sms me at the number I no longer had to check in. So after a little frustration I opened a brand new account.

Google voice works great for that purpose.  However, you have to tie it initially to a US number.  After that GV will give you a new number.  If you don't have a US number there are places online that will give you one either with small monthly charge or a trial.  Those can be canceled as soon as you get your GV account.
I have it on my phones and my PC.  I use it all the time like if I have an issue in the US or need to talk to someone.  Google confuses the issue when they say that you need to add funds to call from outside of the US but I have never had to do that and I have made hundreds of calls.

Has anyone been successful signing up for Google Voice from the Philippines? I tried and the red text said available in the US only so I VPNed to Atlanta, GA. I was able to select a US number and my sister in law relayed the OTP from my phone in the US. It accepted the 6 digit OTP but it apparently didn't go through because on the GV page it again prompts me to select a number.

Hi and welcome to the forum Ryan.

A couple of questions if I may, Do you still have/hold a Philippines phone number/sim, do you have a bank account in PH?

I will admit that I haven't used my credit cards (Amex and Visa) in any country for years but do use my debit cards for O/S purchases from time to time but I have told the 2 banks I deal with that I am overseas and this is my Philippines phone number for contact/one time password and never a problem, same with sending cash from my Aussie banks to our accounts here in PH.

If you know people here get one to purchase you a sim and register the number with your bank.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

@Moon Dog I believe you have to sign up for GV in the US.  Have someone there make a GV account for you.. use their addr or if you have a US addr.. and it will work wonderfully for OT codes but the number needs to be registered with that institution...   I have had zero issues with my set up codes from banks.. SS admin, etc.  Good luck, Tony 

@tpiro Thanks Tony. Google must have a way of identifying people using VPNs to simulate a US source.

I don't think Google does that unless you allow them your location.  I use ExpressVPN and set the server to the US.. like Az, Tenn, NY, etc.

@tpiro I set my VPN to Atlanta, GA and I no longer get the red text telling me it is a USA only app. My sister in law has my US phone so I select a GV phone number, enter my US phone for verification and she relays the OTP password that is sent to my phone in Georgia. I punch in the six digit OTP sent to my US phone and everything looks good but when I go to the GV page I'm prompted to select a phone number and do it all over again. I did this 3 times. Too bad because I stumbled across an Augusta phone number that was easy for me to remember, except for the area code. 706-426-1320. Drag racing was my hobby so 426 was a popular Mopar engine and there are 1,320 feet in a 1/4 mile.

Haha Moon Dog.. my brain works the same way with numbers.. I always wanted a Hemi.. had to settle for 440 Mags. in 3 different cars.