Auto insurance on car Calabria, Italy/ Roadside assistance

I will be shipping my car from NJ to Calabria, door to door apparently the shipping company takes care of all the customs etc.  I'm looking for an insurance company, also if the insurance companies include roadside assistance.  I'm an expat, and a citizen.  Thank s for the input advice in advance.

Nick

The shipping company is unlikely to deal with Import taxes which is different to customs and of course you will need to have Italian number plates.

There will probably be import taxes.You will be required to change plates to Italian (cost us about €1000) Generali are good and most seem to include roadside assistance but it's expensive.

Hiya,
Is your car on Italian plates? If not, then you'll need to find an insurance company that covers worldwide (I use Clements) as I don't know of any Italian insurance companies that will cover a foreign car.

If your car isn't on Italian plates, then I presume you know that you'll have 6 months to register your car, as in change the plates to Italian ones, and once you start the process you won't be able to use the car as you have to submit the original plates. This process can take 3 to 6 months on average, although I have heard of a couple only taking a month. Your local ACI can help with this, but it can be a long and painful process. Personally, I gave up and just bought a car here as it was cheaper and a lot less stressful ;)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the previous replies :)

Two questions: Is it an Italian registered car? Do you have an Italian driving license?
If you have an Italian license but the car is not registered in Italy, you will need to most likely retrofit your car to Italian standards. This will take time and money.  I had a newer BMW hardtop convertible that I wanted to bring over and , based on the replies, would have cost over $5k to retrofit.
If you don't have an Italian license, then your car will stay put for over a year . A US license is not transferrable in Italy. After you set up residence , you can drive on your US license for only one year after which time you will need to obtain an Italian license. The first issue with it is the oral (yes/no) portion of it . It is 40 questions out of 5000 and are all in Italian. After passing the oral portion, you will need to spend 6 hours with a driving instructor (although you can find someone who could certify you in less hours) , you can take the driving test. If you pass, you will be considered a neopatentato which means you can only drive a car that not exceed 95 horsepower  for a year and only drive up to 100km/hr on highway for the following 3 years. I know, it is ridiculous. I have rented cars in Italy at time for long periods for the last  30 years and driven cars with up to 500hp in the  US for over 50. And, now, I am being forced to drive a car with basically a scooter engine . Benvenuto a Italia.

Unless it is a classic car I would not import it. The cost of it all is not worth it in the end.

Such a hassle, shipping company says door to door, its a 2003 Boxster s,, porsche

Omg, why is everything so much of a hassle, the car is a Porsche 2003 Boxster s, my nj license is for 4 years and just obtained an international license for a 10 year period. Some have said play stupid. I'll look into USAA insurance, for condo and auto. I messaged you earlier, it 4:28 here, let me know when is a good time to contact you by phone or what's app. Later today.

Thanks Phil, u.s. Plates will need to be turned in I think, I'll check with DMV  it's a 2003 Porsche Boxster s

I'm filling out change of residency paperwork, it shows I am allowed to ship household goods and a vehicle without taxing if I've been here in the states for over 1 year

A nice car but I also give up my BMW M3 hardtop convertible because I didn't want to deal with the up cost of retrofit and the shipping. As I mentioned, there is the issue of a driving license (how were you able to get a 10 year International permit? I just got a new one as it is only good for one year). As I had mentioned, you will need to have an Italian license after residing here for a year. You will be restricted to a car with a max power of 95HP and you will only be allowed to drive at speed not exceeding 100kmhr for the following 3 years. So, will not be able to drive the Boxter for a year. Ignorance is not advisable specially when they stop you driving that car. You will be running the risk of completing losing you driving privileges or face a big fine or both. Anyhow, I responded your message and provided a phone number. A presto Nick

@Petrizzi How did it go? I'm moving this fall from Canada & intend on bringing my MB. I can't see how it could need thousands in mods to meet EU standards when it has a DPF, daytime running lights & airbag stickers.