Life as a digital nomad in the Seychelles

Hi everyone,

Digital nomadism has become more and more popular in the past few months and the Seychelles seems to be the perfect spot for it.
If you are a digital nomad yourself, please share with us your experience of this new way of working in the Seychelles.

What motivated you to take the plunge? And why did you choose the Seychelles as your new home?

Were you granted a special visa? What documents did you need to apply for it?

Which sectors allow you to establish yourself as a digital nomad? What do you do for a living?

Where do you work: in a coworking space, at home, in cafes or outdoors? Is your internet connection satisfactory?

How did you find your accommodation in the Seychelles? What did you opt for: a flat / house on your own, co-housing, or a room in a bed and breakfast? How much do you spend on your accommodation each month?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

I don't know how it is now but when I left the Seychelles in 2015, digital nomadism was a nightmare as only Cable&Wireless was offering Internet at not such high speed and at big prices. It was free from 12 am to 6 am but being at the end of the fibre optic line meant that it was slow since everyone was trying to download stuff in this time window. I managed to run my business from afar but with difficulties.

Decent accommodation is very expensive, with only Eden Island offering European standards apartments at over $2000 a month. And office space was also difficult to find. International banking was limited. It may have changed although I am led to believe it has not changed that much so a lot needs to be done for digital nomadism to become a standard in the Seychelles. Mauritius is far better structured for it.

However if the Seychelles set up the right IT infrastructure (breaking monopoly) and builds accommodation/office space instead of more hotels, then it can become a great place for this new way of working.