Working in Montreal

Hi friends

I am Nirav Khatri working as a research analyst in Mumbai, India. I am planning to relocate to Montreal as I have been qualified to sumbit an application under Skilled Workers category. Before I actually submit my application would like to know few things

1) I dont know french, but have a good command over english. So will this dim my chances of finding a suitable job in Montreal?

2) After landing in Montreal, is it difficult to find a temperory job to support my living (i am ready to do some odd jobs like a sales rep at the counter etc..)

3) Will I be able to find a cheap accomodation..since I am single. I dont mind if the place is at a distance from the main centre.

Would appreciate your responses on these questions.

Thanks in advance for help.
-Nirav

Hi Nirav!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon!

Regards
Armand

Hey Nirav,

I'm actually from Montreal but now live in Belgium. I think I can aswer to your questions.

First, happy to hear that you chose Montreal as the city to live. It's a beautiful city and can't wait to go back. It's also good that you chose to get there during summer and prepare yourself for winter. ;-)

here are some tips:

1-) You don't need French to get around Montreal or to settle there. In Canada inculding the province of Quebec, French and english are both official languages. That means everywhere you go, you'll have English and French. I would add that everybody (or almost everybody) in Montreal speaks both languages. So you will not have trouble communicating or asking your way around Montreal.

However, I must say that you must learn French in order to find a good job. I'm not saying that you will not find one, (you will) but you will be a little bit disadvantaged and it might take you longer to find a job that you really like. It also depends in which industry you work. If you are as a research analyst and in a lab and never have contact with clients then you should be ok. But if your job requires customer service, then you'll need French.

2-) You could find a temporary job easily. But once again, if that jobs require contact with clients then you need French. You should be ok for any other kind of jobs. In other words, you must communicate in both languages if your job require any sort of customer service.

3-) Accomodation in the downtown (center of city) is very expensive and I personaly don't know anyone who can afford it. Also, if you have no reasons to be in the center, then why rent in the center.

I personnaly studied and worked downtown all my life and still commuted every day. Metro and buses are the best way to get downtown. In other words, people (workers and students) commute from 30min to 1hr every day and it's very normal.

Keep in mind that Montreal is a very big city. You have many nice neighborhoods around downtown and still considered Montreal. Also, the rent will be much cheaper. Might want to consider living at walkable distance from a metro station. It will be easier for you.

A quick advice, you should start looking for French courses as soon as you arrive. Hope I don't discourage you with that.

Good luck!

Gabriel

Hey Gabriel

Your piece of information was very informative..thanks buddy..:)

I have already started enquiry for learning french as we have few educational centres located within the city.

One question - What is the average rent for an apartment. I dont need a huge one as we are habituated to acomodate in lesser areas generally.

Thanks again for your help.

Gabriel_84 wrote:

Hey Nirav,

I'm actually from Montreal but now live in Belgium. I think I can aswer to your questions.

First, happy to hear that you chose Montreal as the city to live. It's a beautiful city and can't wait to go back. It's also good that you chose to get there during summer and prepare yourself for winter. ;-)

here are some tips:

1-) You don't need French to get around Montreal or to settle there. In Canada inculding the province of Quebec, French and english are both official languages. That means everywhere you go, you'll have English and French. I would add that everybody (or almost everybody) in Montreal speaks both languages. So you will not have trouble communicating or asking your way around Montreal.

However, I must say that you must learn French in order to find a good job. I'm not saying that you will not find one, (you will) but you will be a little bit disadvantaged and it might take you longer to find a job that you really like. It also depends in which industry you work. If you are as a research analyst and in a lab and never have contact with clients then you should be ok. But if your job requires customer service, then you'll need French.

2-) You could find a temporary job easily. But once again, if that jobs require contact with clients then you need French. You should be ok for any other kind of jobs. In other words, you must communicate in both languages if your job require any sort of customer service.

3-) Accomodation in the downtown (center of city) is very expensive and I personaly don't know anyone who can afford it. Also, if you have no reasons to be in the center, then why rent in the center.

I personnaly studied and worked downtown all my life and still commuted every day. Metro and buses are the best way to get downtown. In other words, people (workers and students) commute from 30min to 1hr every day and it's very normal.

Keep in mind that Montreal is a very big city. You have many nice neighborhoods around downtown and still considered Montreal. Also, the rent will be much cheaper. Might want to consider living at walkable distance from a metro station. It will be easier for you.

A quick advice, you should start looking for French courses as soon as you arrive. Hope I don't discourage you with that.

Good luck!

Gabriel

Should find something in the 400$ to 600$ range. Outside the city but still decent and in Montreal.

Later!

HI
Iam Hebron from Tanzania having masters degree in Rural development from Sokoine University of Agriculture. I have been working in Research institutes since 1991.
Iam interested to work IN CANADA  with organizations that deals developin rural people in various approaches
Any body with information of how can i  becam suscesful i will be happy to hear from him.Again Thanks for your cooperations

Hello Nirav,

You'd be finding jobs easily here in Montreal, i was exactly in your place when i first came here , fortunately things went Great.

If your looking for a job pm me , ill give you an organization's contact info i supposes they are still hiring !

Enjoy your stay :)

Dear EmersedShark

Thanks for your response..I have already dropped you a message. Please check your email and revert.

Thanks for your help.