Moving to Zanzibar

I'm seriously considering moving to Zanzibar. I would like to purchase a property to live in and I am interested in one I have seen for sale. Are there any hidden drawbacks? Does anyone have any information for me on how to go about my dream? I have enough money to buy a home and then to sustain myself. I retired early and it's something I want to do with the rest of my life. I've stayed in Zanzibar twice in my life, once for a holiday and then for a more extended period (still probably classed as a holiday). I just fell in love with Zanzibar and the people there, the pace of life and the beauty. I'm just sick of the rat race and pace of life I'm currently involved with. I need some time for myself in some sort of tranquility to live out my days. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you so very much.

I went to Zanzibar with the same idea to buy a property, the only difference was I never visited there before.  I was there for only a week. During the Ramadan week and during the raining season. So, the time wasn't favorable for me to make siuch big decision. I should come back and spend at least a month there to decide whether or not Zanzibar is for me.
For you, it seems that you already went into the decision process.
I know someone in Zanzibar who could help you. He is very knowlegeable and very serious. Let me know if you are interested to have his contact.

Hello! I am in the same situation except I will have to go and come back to Switzerland to work.
I have understood that the first steps are
-find a plot to lease for 99 years
-find a lawyer to secure the contract and ask help for the obtention of a visa
-open a bank account
Greetings
Natacha

Thanks so much. Yes I'd love to have contact with someone who actually lives there. Are you going to go over after lockdown and find out if it's for you? I'm sorry that you seemed to have picked the wrong time to go before. I hope you're able to go soon and make your decision. X

The person I am talking to you about is very professional, serious and nice. If it was for him, I would make the decision at 100%, but as I said, I wasnèt lucky enough to be there at the right time.
Yes, I am planning to go back there and spend maybe one month after the lockdown. I am from Canada and I have been way for about one month now traveling around East Africa. I have to go back to Canada by the 15th of June.
If you are interested, I can send him your email and he will contact you. He is very knowlegeble and very serious. I keep his contact myself for any other business decsision I would want to make around East Africa. He is licensed in Realeastate with a degree in Business. You may send me your email and I will forward it to him.

Have a nice day

I come

That's great, thanks.
[link moderated]
You never know, we might meet up in Zanzibar one day! Good luck with your pursuits and thanks again. X

Thanks. It seems like we should stay in touch and share information. It would be nice to think that we could meet eventually.

Yes, I think it could be a good idea to stay in touch
Thank you for the email address.
I will send you an email and also send your information to the man I told you about.

I will also send you an invitation on Facebook.

Great stuff! See, we're starting our own community already thanks to you. I'm excited to go back to Zanzibar and it would be great to have folks around that I've come to know by this forum. I think it would be fantastic if we could communicate with everyone on this site in a truly positive way. We could support each other so much and also find friendships. Thanks so much. Xx

I was able to visit Zanzibar, Nungwi, the place is so beautiful and the pace of life was much to my liking, laid back, with people from all over the world. I work in the middle east so I have been around people from everywhere.  So much to offer and fill out so many needs people are looking for.  I was luck and was able with help from the local people to purchase property.  OMG, what a blessing that is, my advise to all is to take a good long look for what you dream of if you find it, go for it !

You're welcome :)

I just sent your email to the man in Zanzibar
His name is Ally Amed Mwenge.
He is licensed in realestate and is very knowlegeable as I said before. Also very serious and professional.
You may expect his email any time. You may look fo this name from your email.

I wish you the best

I will also send you an email . We will keep in touch

I just love your advice! I really want to buy something and live there. You sound like a guy who could be great to know if I can move forward with this. The lockdown is a pain, I booked for Zanzibar in July but had to cancel because it's on the British ‘red list' at the moment.
Best wishes
Liz.

We are currently in the starting proces of building a house in zanzibar. My husband is from there which makes it a lot easier, so maybe we can help you with some tips if your still serious?

I too am from Canada and looking at getting a retirement visa for Tanzania. Can anyone tell me the monthly income requirement and proof of investments required to be successful in obtaining a retirement visa. Does this visa give me the right to go for six months of the year and return to Canada 6 months of the year multiple times without reapplying?
Is there plenty of rental properties available for such living?

I too am from Canada and looking at getting a retirement visa for Tanzania. Can anyone tell me the monthly income requirement and proof of investments required to be successful in obtaining a retirement visa. Does this visa give me the right to go for six months of the year and return to Canada 6 months of the year multiple times without reapplying?
Is there plenty of rental properties available for such living? I would be living in Zanzibar. Would only need small one or two bedroom place

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Can you direct me to the real estate agent you know? I'm from Canada and looking to move. Escape this vaccine passport. If you can give me advice on the process of moving and things I need I would love to hear from you.

Jo Victorya ^^ Idk how to tag you or respond to your comment alone

Man! we need to have some sort of zoom meeting to discuss this heavy topic,
I'm also looking to buy property there but don't want to move as permanent resident there

I have the money but scared of the pitfalls

This is definitely a topic worth a zoom call or clubhouse :)

I am living in the Middle East but I travel back and forth to the island, as I already bought 2 lands in May and July 2021 to build my dream Airbnb. I am still struggling with transferring the land to date! As the land register board was dissolved by Zanzibar president a month ago. I can share my candid experience overt a Skype call.

Hi Liz,

Can we please talk via email.  I find myself in tje same situation as you amd would like to know how you are getting on.

My email is : ***

Thanks so much xx

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@lizwoodkibworth  Hello Liz,  just saw your post about your interest to buy land/house in Zanzibar, as it was 2 years back just wondering how you got on and if you are now owner of your own little place in Zanzibar. I am interested in moving to Zanzibar and would like some info.  Regards Annicka