Covid vaccine availability for expats?

My wife and I are going to make our next stop in our slow travels Queretaro. We hope to be there from July 10th through September. We have not gotten the vaccine yet, and are hoping someone on this forum can tell us if US expats are able to purchase the vaccine in that area?
any input is appreciated.
Nate

Welcome to expat Mexico parrotsrest,

I would suggest that if you want a vaccine you would be better off making an appointment in the U.S.

Mexico has gone through various vaccine types. They require appointments and natural citizens would have preference. Currently teachers are getting the Russian drug. There has also been talk about the Chinese drug. Originally the doctors got Pfizer. That didn't last long .

You can't just go to a pharmacy to buy the vaccine of your choice. People who are getting vaccines need to be observed to make sure they don't have common side effects.People line up for a block or two even though they have an appointment. It seems that you are a visitor not a R.P. or natural citizen  so you wouldn't even be on a provisional list.

If you are of the mindset to receive the vax then you should do so here in the U.S. even if there is vax at your destination. There are several reasons for this: 1) depending on the mfgr of the vax, Mexico's storage and maintenance at the appropriate temperature is not consistent 2) the vax is not readily available in Mexico and numerous Mexicans (my girlfriend's family) have traveled to the U.S. to receive vax. 3) the vaxes in Mexico are primarily from China and Russia. I am not saying the vaxes from those countries are bad (I don't believe the vaxes from here aren't any better) so you are already up against odds to make your decision that much harder.

Tourists are not eligible to be vaccinated in Mexico. They require a CURP number and only citizens and legal residence have them. Now only 60+ and medical workers and teachers have been vaccinated and soon 50 to 59 year olds will be next after they register online and recieve a number to print out and take to their designated vaccination center on the date their last name is due and lasts 4 days. If they don't show up then they are out of luck and cannot get their second vaccination when it is given. Only the federal government has vaccines. No private companies can buy or sell it. Maybe in Oct. they can.

Please note the federal govts vaxes are those from China, Russia and the Astrazenca vax ( kindly donated courtesy of the U.S. as they did not approve its use here and sent the inventory to Canada and mexico)

thanks for your input. This is as we suspected, but doesn't hurt to ask. :)

"kindly donated" almost choked on my coffee when I saw that Kona.

thank you all for your tie and input, sounds much like here in Ecuador. We are planning on a few weeks back in the states for x'mas so will try to get the J&J vaccine then in preparation for Europe in 2022.  N8

It pissed me off when I saw that announcement the the U.S. was not authorizing the astrazeneca vax and sent the shipments to Mexico and Canada. Bc afterall, people in those countries aren't humans like us here in the U.S. I told this to my gf and told her don't take any vax in Mexico. Come to the U.S. if you want it.

What to do now that the "Effectiveness" of the so called vaccines is disappearing rapidly?
Example: Pfizer dropped to 42% this week.  Others are dropping significantly as well.
The information is changing daily and much of it is contradictory and old.   What to believe and do
is a life and death decision based on falseness versus truth, and it is difficult to discern.

Hi Adson,
I understand the concern and confusion over the vaccine efficacy, booster shots etc as I'm immunocompromised and have to pay close attention to all of this.  I have not heard anything as low as 42% in Pfizer though.  In fact, everything I've read is that the vaccines are still highly effective at preventing serious illness and hospitalization.  And it seems, based on the death and hospitalization rates among vaccinated vs unvaccinated that this is correct.  But i still understand the concern and continue to be cautious.  Here is a recent article I found.  I think part of the confusion is it's not even been a year since the vaccines have been available.  And as this post shows, there are many different types worldwide.  I got Pfizer and will likely get a booster when I can as I'm higher risk.  I'm hoping Mexico's vaccine rates continue to increase over time.  The more vaxxed the less opportunities for variants to develop and spread.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid … comparison

What I can tell you is that Mexico has vaccines from many places including Russia and China. Many of the teachers were given the Russian shot.

Much of what you think you know is in fact propaganda, not facts. 

If you want one of the shots your best bet would be to return to the U.S. to get it.

What are you responding to Ivy ? you don't understand what ?