Moving to Ireland just before the crisis

Hi everybody,

Taking the plunge and daring to move abroad is a real challenge, but when your move to Ireland is marked by an unprecedented health, social and economic crisis, as we have been experiencing for just over a year, this change can be much more significant and demanding. If you moved to Ireland shortly before or during the pandemic, we would like to know more about your experience.

When and under what circumstances did you move to Ireland?

What impact did the restrictions have on your integration into the country?

Were you able to make new friends in your host country and get used to the new culture and environment?

Have you had the opportunity to discover the country or the region where you are staying despite that?

Do you feel "at home" in this new place?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

Hi Diksha,

I moved to Ireland 6 months before COVID for my husband's job. I was 3 months pregnant with my first. I had a difficult time meeting people as a pregnant lady without any kids already, so I figured I would have plenty of opportunities at play groups and classes after my daughter was born. She was born just before the first case of Coronavirus was discovered in Ireland.

Since then it feels like we're still not integrated or settled. I've joined a couple of online baby groups, but most of the parents don't want to or can't chat afterward. There is an app designed for moms to meet other moms in the area. I have met a couple of moms through there and Facebook, but none of those connections has really progressed.

All of the usual places to meet people or learn about the culture here (pubs, museums, libraries, gyms, playgroups, etc.) have been closed for so long, I haven't been able to learn much about the culture here still outside of the internet. We have managed to visit a few places around Ireland when restrictions allowed, but we have not been able to visit Europe at all, a big selling point of moving here.

We do not feel settled at all, and will likely return to the US after my husband's contract is up in two years, if not sooner.

Hi Molly,

I'm sorry to read this message. But you're not alone.I have been living here for a long time and sometimes I don't feel settled at all, well most of the time.. and I've always had Irish people around me but from what I've seen over the years they're just not interested to meet new people outside of the group of people they've already known for years.. one of my Irish colleagues also confirmed this to me, which I thought was weird. I moved here from Paris in France to live here in Dublin with my husband.I guess that's how people are here even before COVID.. I have spoken to a few expats and this is what they all say, people here can be nice but very hard to make friends with. You are definitely right to go back to the US after your husband's contract is up.. I would do the same. With my Irish husband we plan to live in France someday, going back to Paris or moving to the French Riviera, let's see!