Moving to Costa Rica just before the crisis

Hi everybody,

Taking the plunge and daring to move abroad is a real challenge, but when your move to Costa Rica is marked by an unprecedented health, social and economic crisis, as we have been experiencing for just over a year, this change can be much more significant and demanding. If you moved to Costa Rica shortly before or during the pandemic, we would like to know more about your experience.

When and under what circumstances did you move to Costa Rica?

What impact did the restrictions have on your integration into the country?

Were you able to make new friends in your host country and get used to the new culture and environment?

Have you had the opportunity to discover the country or the region where you are staying despite that?

Do you feel "at home" in this new place?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

Good Afternoon 🌞 Diksha
                 Well I have been in and out of CR on some Hotel projects the last 4 years, my work had been in San Jose area  I decided to give it a full time thing back in February 2919 right before things got ugly with Covid
I set anchor in San Rafael Escazu as some have heard me talk about in prior posting, it's a great area and pretty much has everything you would need and want  like back in the States. But probably the most expensive place or at least top 3 places to live in CR

It eventually wore on me with the hustle and bustle and overcrowding. And of course the Lance Armstrong wannabes causing mayhem on already insane roadways here
I decided to move up into the mountain region a town called La Palma in Puriscal, definitely remote and peaceful. I am definitely not by any means a country guy and the bugs and big ass spiders have me spooked some. On the flip side the views, peaceful quiet town, fruit trees galore on my property and in the development, no traffic and no bikers (got to love the dirt roads). Have me loving it I moved into a Small Canadian and American community which is great now I can meet and talk with people. Escazu I thought would have been easier to meet and talk with Americans and even Ticos that spoke English but I found it's a small New Your City where everyone leaves early in the morning  for work and gets home late , they are constantly on the move. When Covid hit every one was in lock down and work remote  I met a few nice people in Escazu but ironic part some were moving to the States for better jobs and salaries

The pandemic really has not changed much with my moving to CR, I came alone made a few friends along with dating a couple of great ladies. The curfew and restrictions were some what of obstacles but the benefit of being a tourist most didn't apply to us.  Not that you could do much when it was on lock down
Once the borders opened I resumed my travels back an forth from the States to CR for my work

I am still learning this country and enjoying it so far aside for the insane sales taxes, the high cost of things and Tolls on Highways that are death traps from land slides, they think by throwing some cement on the sides of 50 foot mountains it will prevent mud slides in a country that has 5 months of rain

I have decided not to apply for any residency programs yet until I feel I found my Mojo here, I hear most Expat bail out after 1 to 5 years so I decided to stay with  the tourist 90 day program right now since I travel 1 to
2 times a month. The residency programs here in CR are not an easy process they can get expensive and definitely take a long time to get to the finish line The border runs on buses or 5 drives are not sexy I did one run to Panama and wore me out 

I know others have commented on the insurances here in CR.  My experience has been for the health pass requirement I pay $300 every three months that's all the will allow for the 90 day tourist visa
I bought my new car on Amex card for protection because even the new car dealership play games here with us Gringos and like I said the reward points
Money transfer to here are a pain you need to verify where your money came from when its larger amounts  some banks have limits on transfer amounts and the banks here charge commission on transfers which the businesses here expect you to pay
My car insurance runs about $480 for 6 months full coverage (pretty nutty because back in New Jersey our car insurance companies do 6 month policies I thought it was funny here)
Health issues I pay cash not that I have any if I need a check up I fly back to the United States
Medication is cheap and most don't need a prescription just walk in to a Farmica and show or tell them what you need and Baam !!!! Off you go all pilled up
I have Dialed my monthly living expense down since moving from Escazu San Jose to Puriscal and Staying out of Automecado Super markets
It was costing me about $5,000 a month living in Escazu area  (great Restaurants and bars which I miss)
Puriscal I am looking about $2,000 a month now, huge savings

Some more advise for the newbies coming. If you do by a new car be aware to get full coverage because here it's not a law requiring you to have car insurance so if you have a accident with another car it's out of your own pocket ( from what I have learned). My new car got hit by falling debris from a truck on the highway  Death Race 2000 on Route 27
These Ticos love strapping things to cars and trucks and how high they will go on strapping “ Skys the limit”

Between the insurance Adjusters, body shop estimates and the Government insurance company fighting with cost and approving the autobodys estimate took 2 months then  comes ordering the parts another process of 2 month
I am hoping to
Have my new car back
That I drove for a month
Maybe in June.  INS Insurance is the big dog here and rules CR you are at INS mercy.  For the curious my car damage was about $2,500 dollars which was about what I would have had in the States. (I was a Partner in a few auto bodies) somethings here make you scratch your head and say I didn't expect that.  I was waiting to hear a cost of $8,000

But as many have said everything in CR moves slow, can be expensive and they move at there own beat of the drums

But I am digging my Costa Rician experiences so
Far and fighting the fight.  I apologize for rambling on I should have mentioned earlier some one needs to
Kick me to shut me up

FYI.... I have traveled about 75% of the country so
Far and it by far is one of the most beautiful places I have experienced. The people are great and it's a booming country
My advice come try it definitely rent a car to get the real feel and experiences. The taxis , tour buses and Ubers will take you on the nickel tour. Driving and getting lost will make it worth your wild.  Hey use Waze If you decide to drive it and Google translator
My weakness here I don't speak the
Lingo and makes it difficult to communicate once outside gringo towns. I need to start learning

Please for give me for typos I wrote this on my phone while at Walmart. Yes they Have Walmart's who
Knew

Enjoy every one and thank You for letting me Babbel

Peace

In the ideal move to Costa Rica,one would bring family with them of course.As far as making friends goes,gringos are like water runoff,as soon as they find out that this is the rainiest place on earth,they run off....Like fair weather friends...With Costa Ricans,they'll make friends with you very easily because they need you economically but don't expect too much in return.

bonjour
Je travaille sur ce projet et n'y suis pas encore !!! Bientôt j'espère