Purchasing Apartment in Alghero

Good Morning,

Hope you're all well.

I'm look for some friendly advice from those with similiar experiences please. My family and I have bee nvisiting Alghero for years and stayed in the Old Town. We love it so much we've finally decided to put an offer on an apartment we've found.

We're trying to do some research around any local cost implications that we need to consider (local tax, service charges etc) and wonderd if anyone has any guidance please? We'll be using the propert as a holiday home and not spending more than 90 days there in one trip - but wanted to know if there is anything we need to consider before taking the plunge please?

Do we need to open an Italian bank account or can we pay out bills electric, internet etc from a U.K based bank account?

Many Thanks,
Ben

Hi.
You will need an Italian bank account if you want to pay via direct debit. The quickest way is to get a Poste Pay account, and specify to them that you need it to pay bills.

The cost of purchasing a property varies. My advice would be to get a different quote for the solicitor's fees (notaio). Agencies are normally linked to one and push them, knowing full well how annoying and difficult it would be to look for another solicitor for a foreigner.

We purchased a property for 56k and paid 3.6k in expenses, between the agent and solicitor fees.

You will need to pay a second home (assuming you already own a home in your home country) tax, IMU, which is a nightmare to calculate. Have the notaio calculate it for you when you purchase the flat, it would save you blood and tears.

In terms of service charges, only the agent can advice you on that. But, as a rule of thumb, if it's a newish property (not Old Town), you're purchasing, there will be service charges of some kind (rubbish, renovation found etc.).

I wish you luck, buying a property in Alghero has been a dream of mine for a very long time!

V

My husband and I have been going through all of this lately in buying a townhouse in a small town. Be very careful! An acquaintance got screwed over because her lawyer said a change that had been made in the floorplan of the home she was buying was "no big deal" and she got stuck paying for what the seller was responsible for paying and will be heavily fined when she finally owns the place. The local housing authorities (i.e. government) are serious about this. Make sure everything in the building changed was to code and was ok'd by them prior to signing anything. Even the slightest changes. You must be sure before you sign anything or deposit any money, that the seller shows proof that any changes in the floor plan or apartment was done with permits from the local authorities (I think it's called an amnesty). It is the seller's responsibility and if this is hidden, you will get stuck with a lot of fines! Also, you will need to open a bank account and all your bills can be automatically paid through your account. It is possible that the local commune handles one of the utilities, such as garbage or water, but you will need to find out. They require payment directly to them. We got a notary to set up an escrow account for us so that our deposit and final payment does not go directly into the seller's account. This is just the safest thing to do. It may cost a bit more (300-2000 euros) but if something goes wrong before you get the keys, you are protected. The alternative you don't want to even want to think about! Good luck!