Tips on making life easier in the Philippines

I am wanting to start a thread to see what has worked for other expats here in the phils to make life easier. 

My tips are based on personal experience and what i truly believe will work.

Learn the language.  Where i live everyone speaks bisaya or ilocano.  My wife yells at me in ilocano.  Learning the language not only helps with communication but it helps with when you are purchase stuff.  Filipinos love to bump up the price to foreigners.  But i have noticed if you speak the language they dont do it as often. Also if you know the normal price tell them in a joking way.

Ask you spouses family to help.  I can only speak for myself.  But i had to swallow my pride, and ask my family to go and purchase stuff for me.  (With my money)  doing this will save you alot of money and grief. 

Get a hobby, for me i made a lechon house.  I can lechon pigs, chickens, ducks.  I think by now we have tried everything.

For decent quality meat,  shop at robinsons market or SM market.  Stay away from wet markets.  If your not used to them you wont be happy when you go in there.  And always clean youe meat when you get it home.  The bitchering practices are not like where your from.

If a filipino offers you an egg while drinking.  It has a partially grown embrio in it.  Its actually really good.  Try it.  Its called bulot, or bolut.

If your a smoker.  Dont smoke anywhere in public.  Alot of areas it is against the rules, and or laws.

The Philippines is a very fun and beautiful country.  It has its quirks, and downfalls.
But your here for a reason. And remember were guest in this country. Treat it like your going to your grandmas house. Be respectful,  all it takes is one person to disrespect and they can report you and you will be going back to where you came from really fast. 

I loom forward to everyone else's tips

I think it is really important to be Respectful of the people. There are cultural differences but if you smile and treat people with genuine respect, it breaks down barriers and leads to understanding. Also understand that traditional Filipino people have different values - they work hard and tend to live in the moment rather than planning ahead, and they value family and friends over material wealth. I think that contributes to their happiness despite the poverty and frustrations they encounter on a daily basis.

Another big thing is to practice Acceptance, because things are not the same as in a Western country.  The Philippines is a poor country, and there are intractable issues that are difficult to solve, resulting from centuries of colonization and exploitation. Overpopulation, crowding in the cities, pollution and bureaucracy. The original Malay people didn't create these problems, they came from external influences that were imposed on them as they were being subjugated and having a religion and class system forced on them. If the frustrations are too much, then leave. Don't take it out on them.

Lastly, if you come to the Philippines, try to find a way to help the people and make a difference. Teach a kid something. To swim, to ride a bike. Many private schools are only $1K per year, and make a huge difference. Many Filipinos do not have access to regular health care and preventative checkups. Or dental services. They discover disease when it is too late. I have paid for these relatively low cost services, as well as more serious medical care for those in her family who have needed it. I do not resent it, I am grateful to help.

Fix something. I have some skills and use them when I can. Last year I purchased two refrigerators, and an electric line installation to the house in one case.  A large fishing net for one brother to use with a friend who had a boat, so he could fish when he lost his construction job due to Covid.  Just a few examples, I know many on here do these things as well. BTW, no one in my GF's family has ever asked for anything..  I see the need and try to help. It's the least we can do when we get so much in return, and you will know that you made a difference.

Well stated pnwcyclist.

pnwcyclist wrote:

I think it is really important to be Respectful of the people. There are cultural differences but if you smile and treat people with genuine respect, it breaks down barriers and leads to understanding. Also understand that traditional Filipino people have different values - they work hard and tend to live in the moment rather than planning ahead, and they value family and friends over material wealth. I think that contributes to their happiness despite the poverty and frustrations they encounter on a daily basis.

Another big thing is to practice Acceptance, because things are not the same as in a Western country.  The Philippines is a poor country, and there are intractable issues that are difficult to solve, resulting from centuries of colonization and exploitation. Overpopulation, crowding in the cities, pollution and bureaucracy. The original Malay people didn't create these problems, they came from external influences that were imposed on them as they were being subjugated and having a religion and class system forced on them. If the frustrations are too much, then leave. Don't take it out on them.

Lastly, if you come to the Philippines, try to find a way to help the people and make a difference. Teach a kid something. To swim, to ride a bike. Many private schools are only $1K per year, and make a huge difference. Many Filipinos do not have access to regular health care and preventative checkups. Or dental services. They discover disease when it is too late. I have paid for these relatively low cost services, as well as more serious medical care for those in her family who have needed it. I do not resent it, I am grateful to help.

Fix something. I have some skills and use them when I can. Last year I purchased two refrigerators, and an electric line installation to the house in one case.  A large fishing net for one brother to use with a friend who had a boat, so he could fish when he lost his construction job due to Covid.  Just a few examples, I know many on here do these things as well. BTW, no one in my GF's family has ever asked for anything..  I see the need and try to help. It's the least we can do when we get so much in return, and you will know that you made a difference.

You are so kind!😀😀

Thanks Richard, but there are many that do more, as I wish I could. There is so much need.

Bukidnonkane wrote:

I am wanting to start a thread to see what has worked for other expats here in the phils to make life easier. 

My tips are based on personal experience and what i truly believe will work.

Learn the language. 

Ask you spouses family to help.  I can only speak for myself.  But i had to swallow my pride, and ask my family to go and purchase stuff for me.  (With my money)  doing this will save you alot of money and grief. 

Get a hobby, for me i made a lechon house.  I can lechon pigs, chickens, ducks.  I think by now we have tried everything.

Speaking for myself, learning the language at my age is not possible. Even my vocabulary in my own language is shrinking and I'm also thankful for spell checker.

In my household the extended family is helpful, I never have to think about asking for help, they are always one or two steps ahead of me. Actually it gets tiring, as many things around the house I can do myself, if they would only let me.

Hobby. . . many months ago I mention on growing Beefsteak Tomatoes & Vadalia Onions indoors in a Grow Tent under lights. Well I now have two tomatoes ripened with five green ones still growing.

I've now been able to get Brandywine Pink Tomato, Red Robbin Tomato, Tiny Tim Tomato and Walla Walla Onion, Yello Granix Onion seeds. Plus a bunch of other Veggie seeds.

An interesting successful experiment, I took a slice of a local tomato from the small market and a slice of a large tomato from the Pioneer Center market and planted them under 1/4 inch soil, both sprouted  many tomato plants.