Malaria and toddlers?

Hello Expats!

We're a Danish family ( not to be confused with Dutch! ;) ) of four, - and we are planning on coming to Tanzania, in the next couple of months, - to see if this is a place, where we can make a new and better, more natural life for ourselves.

My biggest concern is my youngest daughter who will be two years old, this may.

I am concerned about primarily malaria, and would really like some feedback from other expats, who have young children - and how they've handled this challenge?

I am not really confident giving her doxycycline or mepron as a prophylactic, since these are pretty serious drugs.

So how big a risk is it, bringing a two year old, to Tanzania - in your opinion?

Hi,
It ok to be concerned about your especially youngest one!
Prevention measures is the key  to beating malaria in tropic countries,sleep in mosquito nets,all doors and windows of house  should have  nets also  to keep out of mosquito and flies ! Use mosquito insect sprays in the house every  day !
But  most important if ever  a child  start  showing  any malaria related symptoms  don't waste even a minute to visit a padeatrician ,there  good doctors and hospital across dar es salaam  and  some operate 24/7!
    Regards
H