Moving and buying Property in Portugal

Hi!
My husband and I are planning to move and buy a Property in Portugal.
Can anyone ,tell me what is the best States to buy a Cheap Property please?
Do you think, it is best to rent at the beginning, rather than buying?
And also, what do I need to consider (Visa, and formalities) when purchasing a Property in Portugal?
I am of French Nationality, my Husband's nationality is Nepali.
Thanks to all  :)
Sheba

Hi Sheba,

Buying a house takes time and you don't want to rush into a deal you won't be happy with in the future..., It is better to rent first and give yourself time to get familiar with the area or the city that you may like.
Best of luck to you and husband.

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Sheba,

Real State Agencies/Websites/Portals in Portugal
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=904388

(Post #7) You should not be limited only by a real estate agency/consultant or a house suggestion from any of the members of this forum.

Most real estate consultants in Portugal speak a good English. Ideally these links suggested here (or others you will find out), allow you to start your search, get an idea of what you want in terms of prices and locations, and only after that, you should contact one or more real estate agencies.

____

As you are of French nationality, have you thought about using the French language forum? There are many members there who can help you:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4384

_____

You can always use the advanced search here to get useful informations about Portugal (Visas,  Formalities, Buy vs Rent, ....)

https://www.expat.com/en/search/europe/portugal/

If you have further questions, please say.

Best regards

Hi! Johnny
Thanks for the Tips, regarding the French Forum.
I did join it!
Sheba

Hello,

We are an American couple, having lived in Portugal for 3 years. We had bought a small apartment online before setting foot in Portugal from another expat leaving the country. We purchased a property because we had considered renting a waste of money and besides, it's next to impossible to find long term rentals in Algarve where we settled. While that was risky, it turned out to be a very good buy. We had lived in the apartment for a year before finding the house of our dreams with a sea view and two apartments. We planned to live in one apartment and rent the other to tourists to supplement our pension. We renovated the house, but unfortunately, we now need to return to the U.S. for health reasons so we are offering it for sale. While living here, we made a few friends, including a French couple who own a house nearby. From them, we learned that there is a large French community in Algarve; in our small village of Pera, at least 4 houses are owned by French citizens and more are planning to locate here. Perhaps you will be interested in buying our house, which will be a bargain for any buyer because we are forced to sell for 240.000 euros, which is below the market price in order to leave by the end of summer and we are not using a real estate agent. We can connect you with our French friends if you'd like. If you're interested in buying our property, we can guide you through the steps.

Best regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,
Can you please send photos of your property?  Thanks

If you don't know bad areas from good, i would advise,  rent 3-6 months.  First to figure out what you want and where. Then i guess the buying process will take some time and more if you need loans.

Hi. What's about a small apartment? Is it also for sale?

Hi,

Sorry your health problems are taking you back to the US, I wish you well .
(No health insurance in Portugal ?)

I thought about moving to  Portugal about 12 years ago, but went to Costa Rica for a year instead. was Definitely not an option;  then followed by a year in the Caribbean which was just as bad an option but differently.

I might be interested in your house as I'm am rethinking my move to Portugal.

Do you have any photos that I could see ??  I would be very grateful.

Following which, my friend and doctor live there and could always come and visit for me.

Many thinks in advance.

CJ

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your health issues, is the house still for sale and do you have images and location please.
pjfj

Hi everyone,
I´m a European foreigner and I bought a rather large property a few years ago in the Serra do Caldeirão in the south of Portugal. Moved here two years ago.
Recently, to my surprise, I was rudely confronted with the fact that apparently I am not free to do with my property what I want.
A “forest officer” came to my place to discuss about a “fire protecting project” which would affect my property badly. I got a lot of talk about the general interest and safety of the public.
It was insinuated that for not complying, there could be fines, even expropriating of the property by the state (?)
On the 18th, last week, I sent below inquiry to the INCF, the institute for conservation of nature and forests, which is supposed to by in charge of this project.
So far I received no answer.

I would be obliged if someone could find more information and answers to my questions in the inquiry?

Dear Sir, Madam,

I would like to find more information about the roadside clearing project which is currently being executed in the Serra do Caldeirão, in the Almodôvar municipality, district Beja.
The area is being cleared of most of the vegetation for a distance of 60 meters on both sides of the roads, turning into a “moonscape”. (the Serra is a protected area)

My property is located within this zone and is seriously affected by this. As the road passes through my land, 120 meters of vegetation is being removed, including hundreds of approximately 30 year old pine trees. These trees are part of a project which was funded years ago by the government (!).
The word is that this happens in the context of fire protection/control.
I have been provided with only verbal information about this project, nothing in writing.

I would like to know:
What is the legality of this project?
Is it compulsory / mandatory by law?
Is it possible to contest it?
Which is the legal body that carries authority and responsibility?
Which companies were granted the contract to execute the work in the São Barnabé area?

I would be very grateful for a swift response and answer to my questions.

With kind regards, ****

As I said, no answer so far..

Hi Leo,

I found this ICNF document from 2014 reporting the very high fire risk in São Barnabé, due to the steep decline in land (page 12):

https://fogos.icnf.pt/pmdfci/02_Beja/02 … rno_II.pdf

2.2.1  Mapa de Perigosidade de Incêndio  Rural

"A  freguesia  que  apresenta  maior  incidência  espacial  é  São  Barnabé,  as  áreas  sul  da  UF  de  Santa  Clara-a-Nova e  Gomes  Aires  e  da  freguesia  de  Santa  Cruz. Quanto  aos  lugares  com  maior  incidência  de  perigosidade  muito alta destacam-se  os  seguintes (Figura  2):
-  São Barnabé e Felizes  (freguesia de  São  Barnabé)  devido, essencialmente,  aos declives  acentuados; "

https://www.icnf.pt/ondeestamos/contactos

Alentejo
E-mail: [email protected]

Algarve
E-mail: [email protected]

_____

You can translate PDF into English using a Doctranslator, such as:
https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com

Yes, a few years back there were horrific wildfires that killed a lot of people. The government is taking the trees while trying to save your investment (and possibly life).
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2021 … -the-world

Hi Johnny,
Thanks for your reply, I saw this and more on the website of the ICNF, but I'm still left with my questions...
Is there a way I can contact you directly?

Best regards,

Leo