Residency Card

I already have a flat in Malta and I am thinking about moving once restrictions are removed. Can anyone help me with regulations,now that Scotland has been taken out of the EU, as to  what is required to get a residency card.

Thank you

YvieCuthill

I'm not an expert on these matters and I'm sure there are others on this forum who know a lot more than me, but my suggestion for what it's worth is to contact Identity Malta and ask them as I believe that now the UK and Scotland left the EU on 31 December 2020, you would be classed as a third country national (TCN) and in that respect, the rules for residency for you are probably going to be different.

Having a flat here in Malta does not give you right to a 10 year Residency Card. You must be Resident and prove it with Bank Statements etc here in Malta for at least 3 months. I assure you that I am right as I was abroad for a year and upon my return here was not eligible without the above!  I came from Scotland and have lived here for 32 years but that counts for nought it seems.
Hope this is helpful and be aware that the ability to apply for Residency expires June 2021. In other words if you are not here and apply in person before end 1st March you will be a 3rd Country national at Passport control.

Thanks for your help.  Think I will wait till Scotland is back in the EU ! 🥰

Do not worry about visiting and staying in your Malta home. It was always simple to enter Malta and will continue to be so. If you ever decide to move permanently to Malta you will not have problems aside from the usual bureaucracy :-)  As for Scotland leaving the Union and joining the EU,  I sincerely hope that does not happen as I think our islands are too small to break up. Ciao for now.

YvieCuthill wrote:

Thanks for your help.  Think I will wait till Scotland is back in the EU ! 🥰

If Scotland does get independence, it will take roughly 10 years for it to rejoin the EU.