Moving to tuscany

Hello,
Looking for some good advice for tuscany and where to live with three school aged children.
We're moving from Greece after 10 years of living here. Before that we lived in Sweden.
The children are fluent in Greek Swedish and English so it would be nice to live somewhere near other expats.
We will initially rent a house and hopefully buy something within a year or two.
So, please if any kind soul out there could send some nice recommendations on what town /village is a good starting point for us it will be greatly appreciated.
We would like it to be somewhere between Pisa and Florence.

Thank you!
Sofia

Arezzo might be worth a look. Don't know how it's faring with the worsening recession though.

Hi Sofia

If you want somewhere between Pisa and Florence then I can recommend the Colline Pisane. I live in a village called Palaia which is 30 minutes from Pisa airport yet surrounded by hills, vines and olive groves. If you'd like any more info then just let me know.

Best wishes

Andy Wilson

Thanks for the advices!

Andy, I have been looking through the tuscany area and there are so many nice places.
The goal is to find somewhere good for us as a family, meaning having schools nearby and the second criteria a good place for a B&B business.

As I understand it some villages are nice to spend the day at but maybe not to have as base point (thinking of the tourist aspect).
Have you spent any time in Pistoia area?
I will definitely look into your advice as well.
Are there many expats in general in tuscany?

Do you find the locals easy to get to know?
We run a hotel on an island in Greece and life here can get very isolated off season and the locals are not the most cheerful 😅
Which is the main reason for us wanting to move.

Thanks for all input and advices it's very appreciated!

I haven't been to Pistoia yet. I think it's up near Florence. It's probably fair to say that there aren't as many expats in Italy in general as you would find in France, Spain or Greece. The locals are absolutely lovely. They're friendly and don't treat you with suspicion at all. I wouldn't say they throw their doors open to welcome you, they tend to keep themselves to themselves. Having said that we've been here a couple of years now and are starting to make inroads with the locals. I think having school-age children always helps as you'll meet other mothers at the school gate, get invited for coffee etc.

It's fair to say that anywhere in the countryside gets a bit isolated and lonely in the winter when the tourists aren't around. The locals are definitely cheerful though. Back when the pubs, bars and restaurants were properly open there was a very vibrant local scene.

This is a great area for B&B. In fact it's what we're doing. Check out La Gallina d'Oro on Google and you should find us. If you wanted help with finding somewhere then I'd be more than happy to help. You can get some real bargains just at the moment for obvious reasons.

Yep, found it! Looks lovely, you've done a great job!

How is the tourist season? I mean pre covid.
Do you find it hard getting guests or is there plenty to go around?
I am asking because we will be leaving a business which is good without knowing how the tourism is in tuscany.. And it's a bit nervous.
We will rent an apartment for the first year, preferably in a location where we also wish to buy a property, so I guess we'll have a better picture then as well.

It's hard enough choosing a location that suits the family but it gets even harder when you need to combine it with work.
Palaia looks indeed very nice.
We are planning to visit tuscany in March.
And will probably travel from Pistoia to lucca, volterra and go down to Siena to have a look at the different districts.
If you are open we'll be happy to book a room!

Thank a lot Andy for taking your time!

I would suggest Citta della Pieve ( OK not Tuscany but very close as you can see it and packed with celebs) they have a very good school, road/rail links close by, is geared up for tourism all year around. We ran a large B&B for over 10 years ( now retired and looking to downsize) and the tourist office and comune are exceptionally helpful to encourage you in this activity in this area. Or look at Cetona another famous town also with celebs owning property there.
Both have lots of events, saga's, fairs, markets in normal ties, that attract visitors from all over Italy and the world. As you'll be over its really worth a look.
Hope you find what and where you are looking for
Ciao
Maguerite

@Sofia.nordh HI Sofia, We moved to Siena in 2020 with two dogs and a 12 year old daughter named Sofia. There is an International School here (part of the attraction) and the lifestyle is excellent. Tourism (B&B) is a key component of the area. *** As a foreigner, I get a better reception than other Italians. Siena can be quite provincial in that respect still. The community of Expats is large due to presence of Glaxo Smith Kline Pharma who bring in employees on 2-3 year contracts.1.5 Hours from the beaches and 1 hour from Florence and high speed train,Good luck on your search!Ian

Moderated by Cheryl 9 months ago
Reason : Advertising + link
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct