How to open a bank account in spain without residency card

All the banks I go to all ask about the residence permit card in order to open an account. Does that mean there is no way to open an account using the passport as identification till your permit is ready?

Unless a particular bank has a policy to not do so, it common for banks to allow ‘non residents' accounts.

If one is not resident they still require a fiscal ID number.  That is an NIE.

Resident status and having an NIE are often thought of as the same when in fact they are two different things.  This misunderstanding often leads to people thinking they require residence status when in fact they are being required to just produce the fiscal number.

If one is granted residence status the number on their residence certificate or card, is their fiscal ID number.

Hi,

I found it impossible to get a normal bank account as such in Spain. In order to get my Resedencia NIE number thing, I opened a tourist bank account which costs me £10 per month. Prior to applying for the NIE I ensured that my statements demonstrated lots of transactions related to living in Spain. I think I also had to show a balance of 8000eu.

Now I have my NiE green card I still cannot have a normal bank account at Sanadell at least. For this I think I have to I achieve full resedencia i.e. spending over 93 days in Spain per annum and thus being taxed in Spain. I would prefer a normal bank account, to save me £120 per year but for me it is worth paying that to avoid the palaver of re-opening the bank account every time I go and rent in Spain.

You are tax resident in spain if ANY ONE of the following applies:-

(A). Living in spain

(B). Spend more than 183 days in a year in spain

(C).  Have your centre of economic activity in spain

John,
What do you mean by A-Living in Spain?
Doesn't it depend on B? I spent 140 days in 2019 but was advised I only had to pay a non resident tax on my income. I was told this by a tax company and when I went to the government tax office in Barcelona.

I opened a bbva account with just my passport, no minimum balance or monthly deposit and no fees, but I had to sign up for private health insurance  :D

Sorry Bocheball,  I  only just saw your post

In most cases we know where we live. 

Living anywhere surely has just one meaning:   It's where your main home is.

Examples of the ways in which one becomes tax resident. If any one applies, you are tax resident:-

(A).  I moved to spain.  Now  I just visit U.K. from time to time

(B).  Although my family and I live in U.K. I spend over 183 day's a year in Spain

(C).   I work on an offshore oil rig so I only visit my wife and children who live in Spain, for about one week every month