Internet in Praia

Hi!  I'm considering a move to Praia, Cape Verde next year for personal reasons.  How is the internet in Praia?  Are the speeds good?  Frequent cutouts?  Good enough to telework?

The internet in Praia is fine. Good enough for personal and business use. There are infrequent cutouts on the Telecom WiFi service but you can always switch to the local network of ether Unitel or CV Telecom. I work from home via WiFi and away from the home-office, I use the networks of both mobile service providers. It's more than enough for teleconferencing on Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, etc.

Here is the speed test result for >>my Telecom home Wi-Fi service<<. For this I pay €60 per month for unlimited data. Unitel provides similar WiFi service at the same speed for around the same price. You can get service for a cheaper price if you choose limited data.

And here is the result for >>the local Unitel mobile network<<. The cost is €10 per month from either local mobile provider. Unitel provides 5GB of data and 200 minutes calling within their network. Telecom provides 7GB of data and unlimited calling wthing their network. I use both services because some people are on the Unitel network and others are on the Telecom network.

My preference is Telecom because they give more calling time (unlimited) and more data for the €10. With Unitel, you can pay €15 to get the 7GB of data but you still only get 300 minutes of calling time rather than unlimited.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Angelo

Thank you very much!  This is thorough and incredibly helpful