Expatriation to the USA: border updates

Hello everyone,

in the USA as elsewhere, the current pandemic has changed our way of life but also our mobility, due to the state of borders of nearby countries or countries we wanted to visit.

Today we would like to take stock of the current border situation in the USA and collect your testimonies, whether you are already an expat there or still preparing your move.

Is the country currently accessible to newcomers?

Have quarantine measures been put in place? If so, what are they?

What about leaving the territory as an expat resident? Will you be able to easily reach the USA if you leave it temporarily?

How does the current borders state impact you, whether you are already an expatriate in the USA or are planning to move there soon?

Do you have some visibility about the future of borders in your country of expatriation, in the longer or shorter term?

Thank you in advance for your contribution :)

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

Hello Sheryl, all I can tell you is that the situation in NYC is TERRIBLE and it is not welcoming or safe even for current residents. Mind that people coming from the USA are banned to (re)enter Europe and several other countries in Latin America. I am an American Citizen, but I am currently staying in Germany, at least until the situation normalizes a bit.

Hello Sheryl, At Least 13,500 Americans Abroad Need Help Getting Home, State Dept. Says About 5,700 U.S. citizens and legal residents have already returned with the government's assistance, and flights scheduled this week could help another 1,600. I'm an Italian citizen, I live in East Knoxville, but I'm currently in Canada due to my Job.