Covid -19 travel

Hi,

I am planning to move to Kenya and retire there in 2 years. However, in the meantime, I am trying to travel to Kenya from California. I had to delay my trip and my organized safaris due to Covid-19.

My question is has anyone form the states been able to get into Kenya? The restrictions since Aug 1 has been that you must have a negative Covid-19 test 96 hours prior to arrival. The flight alone if 30 hours plus. I can get a test in my area however the wait time for results is 4-6 days?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Paige

Hi Paige - I'm in a similar situation here in Western Canada.
I was planning extended stays in Kenya to start back in July.
I'm hoping the rulings will stay the same as they are currently so that I can go in November.
I believe our wait time for test results isn't so long.
If you hear of anything new please share it. I'd like to connect with you but I don't know how to do that with Expat.com. Do you?
Sarnia

Hi -

Yes, I am new to ex-pat. But my direct email is ****

Send me yours if I hear anything new I will email you. I hope you are able to get there.

If you do get in, please send me your information, if they are checking the 96 hrs etc..

Glad you are in Canada and you have controlled it much better then the US.

Paige

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Kindly exchange contact details via private messaging please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Have a look at the Trip Advisor Kenya Forum, as there is quite a lot of Covid related (and regularly updated) information.

thank you

Do you have to quarantined when you arrive in Kenya??

Can someone please tell me how to exchange private email addresses with someone who has posted here?
I've been told there's an envelope icon top right on the website home page but I don't see that on my screen.
Can someone guide me please?
Thank you,
Sarnia

You could sent them a private message and request the details, possibly?

I don't know how to do that when I don't have her email address or phone #.
Sarnia

If you click on a persons name, it brings up a profile page on which you can send them a message.

Greetings,
I will be traveling to Kenya in a couple of weeks.  My understanding is that I have to produce a negative test result within taking the test 96 hours prior to arriving in Kenya.

Wow! That simple!
Thank you very much. I hope to hear back from Paige shortly.
Sarnia

Yes that's right. Have a look there's i think on the kenya health department a questionnaire you need to fill out and print out before arrival. If you don't then you'll stand in the queue longer than usual at arrival.

Do South Africans need visas or do you get 30-90 days on arrival at Nairobi airport

Welcome to kenya. If possible let us be friends. You can contact me through my profile.

paigerice wrote:

Hi,

I am planning to move to Kenya and retire there in 2 years. However, in the meantime, I am trying to travel to Kenya from California. I had to delay my trip and my organized safaris due to Covid-19.

My question is has anyone form the states been able to get into Kenya? The restrictions since Aug 1 has been that you must have a negative Covid-19 test 96 hours prior to arrival. The flight alone if 30 hours plus. I can get a test in my area however the wait time for results is 4-6 days?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Paige

You can go to Tanzania which has no requirement for Covid test, make test in Tanzania and then go to Kenya

Fly with Emirates, I believe they have an instant test at Dubai Airport.

Welcome to Kenya..get in touch for tour planning

I am a dual national of Kenya and the USA. I recently made a trip to the US for about 10 days. To get back into Kenya I needed a PRC-based COVID-19 test. In the US, these were not hard to obtain, but the tricky part was the timing. The test can't be more than 72 hours old from the time the swab was taken from you to the time you BEGIN your journey back to Kenya. Neither can it be more than 96 hours old from the time the swab was taken until you present it at the health check in JKIA.  This was very hard to do. Nearly all testing places in the US have a 2 to 7 day turnaround time. I had to travel 600 kms (return) to get to a testing site that could process a test in 24 hours. This caused me a 2 day delay in getting back to Kenya.