First impressions after moving to Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

You probably have vivid memories of your first weeks as an expat in Costa Rica. Indeed, moving to a new country is a milestone in someone's life.

Today, we invite you to share with the community how you experienced your first steps in this country.

Excitement, joy, worry: What was your main feeling when you arrived in Costa Rica?

How has your state of mind changed over time?

Have you called upon expatriate support associations? If so, what was their role in your local integration?

What was the impact of your new environment (climate, setting, professional environment) on your mental health?

Is it easy to socialize in Costa Rica? What advice would you give to newcomers to meet people, make new friends and build a strong professional network there?

Thank you for your contribution!

Have a nice day,

Diksha,
Expat.com team

Hola Amigos,

I moved to Costa Rica 40 years ago and it was a different world then. No internet or modern conveniences. With streaming, cable TV, Internet telephone connections, private postal services and slew of products form the US, life here is much easier now. New expats should not have a problem unless they have unrealistic expectations or other issues.

Speaking Spanish and having lived and studied in Latin America America really helped me adjust.

A survival level Spanish definitely helps. There are also organizations that assist expats in moving like The Association of Residents (ARCR) and Live in Costa Rica Tours.

The most important thing is to have a sense of humor.

¡Pura Vida!

Christopher Howard

Hi Christopher, Wow you must have seen a lot of change as we all have on various levels.
My plan is to visit Coata Rica and have a good look around when travel is ok again.
Then look at moving to the country in 2 to 3 years. I am from Australia.
I have been looking for a little land/ framlot 20 acres and residence. with ideas as a retreat or farmstay or just use the land to farm an income. I will be semi retired and have a company as a Safety Consultancy.
I know there are a few hurdles to get through as i will be starting a new life.
All help is appreciated as i really do not know where is the best place to start.
Regards

David  George

Hola David,

Research and read  as much as you can. Then come and explore the country. It is not for everyone. However, there are many happy expats here.

I would not live any place else.

I have a network of contacts that can assist you.

You may also want to check out my website at www.liveincostarica.com

Christopher

Thanks for help. Much appreciated . I will check out the website
Be in touch no doubt
David

Hi Christopher, enjoyed your post. I will check out your website.
My wife and I have been to Costa Rica several times.
We are looking to do a slow move to Costa Rica with in the next couple of years starting with a few weeks at a time then eventually wanting to be there during the Canadian winters.
we are looking at a possibility of a vacation investment perhaps in a gated community where we can perhaps rent out our place when we are back in Canada.
Any suggestions on a location that is tourist friendly with lots of adventure bit not too rainy?
Thanks- Dean