Hand-dug Well

I am considering buying land in remote area in golfito region close to ocean, about 2 km away. Wondering if anyone has experience drilling /digging for water in this region? What is a price range I should expect for a hand dug well for a personal residence? My guess is I'll need to go 10-15 meters below ground and unfortunately I have a bad back and i wont be able to take part myself so I will hire a 2-3 man crew locally.

You will still  have to apply to the government to do this, who will then send a representative to check out your land. Don't be surprised if you are not given the OK to do this.

Without water, you won't get a building permit.

I am aware of the pricey and timely water concession and taken that into account before I buy this land. Assuming I have been granted the concession to supply a single family residence, what would be a ball park cost to CONSTRUCT this well; as said, I do not believe it will require drilling as the current land owner states there is a spring 10-15 meters down. Thanks for the help

We never got that far, as we were unable to get the concession to install a well, on the property we were already on in Guanacaste. Ended up paying many thousands of $$$$$'s to hook up to the local water company and install a huge cement holding tank, built to their spec's.

BTW, original owner had told us a similar story...

In Costa Rica, water is a public resource whether you tap an underground source, divert a stream or river, or whatever. Even though you own the property, you don't have an inherent right to the water on or below the surface. To gain access to that water, you must first get a permit to dig or drill. And if you actually find water, then you must obtain a permit to use it.

This could take years. And there's no guarantee that the will be safe to drink.

Good information here. It makes more sense buying an old place to tear down / remodel if new water rights are so prohibitive and slow.

Be sure to verify that whatever water right(s) were held by the previous owner will transfer to a new owner. Don't take anybody's word for it. Have an attorney who works for YOU do the research.