Residencia - 2020 - How to get it done.

From what a I understand the processing of the applications for residences are done also by the Interpol so if there anything legal pending, this will come up eventually.

Good point as well!

I want to move at age 56 with my wife and plan to work a US based job but do it virtually from the Dominican Republic.  It doesn't seem like this fits any of the residency visa categories you listed.  Is there any way to get a residency visa with my planned circumstances?

From what you have explained you would not qualify.

I'm returning to the expat.com/DR forums after a very long absence.  Sorry, been busy with that little COVID-19 thing.  My wife and I were supporting our County Emergency Operations Center (EOC), and things were hectic for a bit. 

COVID-19 is the real deal, folks, at least for us senior citizen types.  We've lost a personal friend, know of several others passed from COVID, and our daughter was confirmed (tested) positive and quarantined, plus our SIL and one grandson also were counted as probables.  (They've now recovered, thankfully.) 

So, what does all THAT have to do with Residencia???

Well, first of all, our compliments to Lishali, the DR lawyer who has provided great advice on this thread.  We engaged Lishali's  services after an unfortunate earlier experience with a different lawyer, whose services we had to terminate. 

Lishali is the genuine real deal!!  She is a breath of fresh air and true help.   She quickly broke the previous logjams and got us in for our interviews and medical exams.  We recommend her with the STRONGEST recommendation possible.

Unfortunately, it seems like the DR Ministry of Immigration has been doing anything but processing completed residencia applications.  Between the ongoing (hopefully now completed) elections saga, and the COVID-19 impacts on pretty much everything, it seems like the Ministry is pretty much frozen up.
** Lishali warned us back in November, when we finalized our applications, that the upcoming elections would slow things way, way down. 
** But none of us anticipated the flies in the ointment that COVID-19 would bring.

Right now, we're (hopefully) planning a return trip to complete and pick up our residence paperwork, cedula, etc., but not till January...maybe.  We're subject to the whims of the Ministry, at this point. 

We're a bit frustrated, as we have plans for some modest real estate investments in the DR...but obviously, are unwilling to do so until we have residencia in hand. 

What is my point?  Things are slowed down right now.  No matter where you're at in the residencia application/approval process, things are definitely going at a snail's pace. 

Take heart, keep at it.  Persistence will pay off!!     

Wow what an amazing post.  Thank you for the update. 

I am glad your family is healthy again!   Yes this virus is the real deal. I have lost 4 friends so far!   

Lishali is amazing, yup!   And the ministry is way behind.

Remember when we first went in lockdown everything stopped. Then they went to 25% manpower.  Then to 50% . And then the elections.... Yikes!

Now it looks like another lockdown is pretty likely! 

Be patient and it will all work out!   

Again thank you for the update!

Hello there,

Thank you for your kind words.

In fact, it seems like the Immigration Department (as any other Dominican institution) is suffering the setbacks of this new situation. 

They are processing new applicants and renewals, however, the files that were already deposited are taking the longest to be approved.

Thank you for the explanation in your message.

My husband (RockyM) and I spoke with several other immigration attorneys before being referred to Lishali (Lily).  We knew our search was over after speaking to her because she was able to explain everything clearly - and if there were questions she wasn't sure of the answers, she quickly let us know and followed up. With previous lawyers, we felt they were just making stuff up or telling us what they thought we wanted to hear. Communication with Lily has never been an issue! Whether we reach out via email or WhatsApp, she is always quick to respond. (Ghosting is a chief complaint we've heard about other immigration attorneys).

Lily helped us from the very beginning - she provided us with the list of all the items we needed for our initial visa application, reviewed our documents, provided templates of pension and medical letters and (virtually) held our hands through the process.  I'm happy to say that we only had one minor follow up issue and received our residency visas in 4 weeks.

Once we got to Santo Domingo, Lily had our applications ready to submit! She took care of the submission and scheduling of our appointment with Migrations. She met us at Migration where she submitted the physical file, which was reviewed and accepted but an interview was not necessary - and I credit Lily and her thorough documentation for that! She then went with us for our medical exams. That happened on March 13, so just before the pandemic brought the world to a halt!

In addition to helping us with residency, we've also engaged Lily for some assistance with communications and legal agreements with shippers. We are getting all our ducks in a row so that once we have cedula in hand, we can bring in our belongings!

We wholeheartedly recommend Lily! Take all the advice and guidance she is providing here in the forum, and make her your one and only call when you get ready to proceed with residency!

What a great review!  Thanks.

Exactly as stated above, Lily is super! The only issue now is that Migration workers are not working and work flow will not likely begin until AFTER the new government takes office - unless of course new COVID-19 measures restrict things such as work - as I think we all may agree is needed. While I waited extra long for a lawyer friend to try to process for my Temp Residency, Lily got me in and through all on 29 Nov - and I'm still waiting.....through absolutely no fault of Lily......and even during these times we have kept in touch with occasional emails....not just a great lawyer but a really nice person...

They are actually working and processing but its extremely show moving!   

Yes she is a nice person too!

Yes, apparently so but they are about as fast as molasses flowing uphill in the high arctic in January.....just saying... ;):/

And only going to get slower until after August 16!

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : please post in english only on this english speaking forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Welcome to the English forums.   Please post in English here or go to the Spanish speaking forum.

And please do not post emails or phone numbers on a public forum.

We are happy to help you.

Wrench
just send her a message or go to her website

http://lishalibaez.com/

Thank you, Willieweb :cheers:

HI,  how do I reach your attorney, Lishali?  Thanks.

Hola!

You can send me a direct message here or email me at  [email protected].

Looking forward to hear from you,

Lishali  :)

snowinpalm wrote:

HI,  how do I reach your attorney, Lishali?  Thanks.

all there 2 posts above yours --- #57
you must have blinked

haha

Sure thing

Ha! Thanks.

Curious if anyone knows what the current Residency discount is for duty (tax) for a vehicle import. I've heard everything from 20-50%. Given the residency process may take up to a year (our paperwork was filed in March) I am considering throwing in the towel and shipping our vehicle without residency. Using scooters is not a great long-term transportation plan!

I can't answer your specific question, but I am sure someone/others will also be  saying that depending on the value of your vehicle, I think what you save buy buying local vice shipping will be equal or have substantial savings to shipping without the one-time no tax provision upon receiving Residency....that's from my experience of shipping all my personal belongings and paying unbelievable taxes when I first moved here.....and I am still patiently waiting for my residency.....

I absolutely agree.  The tax and duties plus cost if shipping is almost NEVER worth it.   Crufman here can help you find a good vehicle short term then help you sell it when you bring yours over!

Probably a question more geared towards Lily.

If you have a criminal offense on your record - will that definitely disqualify you? Pending how long ago? What it was? Which residency you are applying for may matter more?

50% reduction on vehicle duties is best I can determine. 50-80% for household goods, if anyone is interested. Of course it depends on what they value you assets at.

my furniture was free

My car was +/- 20%

2009- January

Valuation is based on vehicle book value here is what I was told. Not on what you paid there

Yes... correct - their value

That's my point. Their value. A vehicle should be straightforward, but...

The 50-80% figure is from the import agent.

So in other words...nearly impossible to budget for.

Correct!  You are guessing AND relying on your agent to fight for a good price and treatment!  Horror stories are all over about those who import without  residency,  vehicles held for months while you fight over value.  There is a very strong  vehicle importing lobby made up of those licensed to import vehicles. They dont like competition!   If you have residency is it  pretty straightforward.

By the way,  while you are arguing over value, did you know you will pay a  daily FEE for  the vehicle being where it is?  Yup, that just keeps adding up!

The only advice I can give about this is not hire guys inside the Custom Park where the car is. Those guys sells you Heaven and most of them are not registered agents.
Hire independent and reliable companies with foreign representations. They work to keep their good name in the market, and they will make sure you get your vehicle very fast so they can continue working with other customers.
If you have a car dealer friend, you could ask to bring the car through them. They get the dealer's custom tax.
Below the value of the vehicules: https://dgii.gov.do/vehiculosMotor/cons … ianos.aspx

If you use Hispaniola Freight for the incoming shipment,
they look after everything for you....incl going to pay the duty

Wendoline de Pena....

Contact them to see if you can arrange the whole shipment with them

Thanks for the great information!

Big thanks to Tomas for posting the website where we can get some sort of reference on possible car values. This helps a lot when trying to put together possible taxes we can expect to pay if we brought a car.

Any updates on how the new government is handling. Slower? Faster? Less approvals? More?

Nothing new to report actually.  New govt putting their stamp on things but covid is still in play so many offices at less than capacity.

Not exactly on-topic, but close.  We are doing our first renewal.  Due date is today, actually!  We submitted electronically, the system accepted it all, gave us a number.   A month later our status hasn't changed in the system, so we gave the Puerto Plata office a call.  The helpful lady explained to my wife that they are very backed up, asked when we submitted, and said, "oh yes, we're not there yet".  She did confirm we have 30 days grace, but I think that's to submit the paperwork, not get the DGM approval.  Hopefully things work themselves out soon, but as long as the computer knows we applied, I think we're good.

Thanks, that is really helpful to others!   Renewals are backed up, we, we can assume first applications are as well.