$1200 stimulus direct deposit arrived

I check my bank account today in the US, my $1200 stimulus was direct deposited on April 29th. My details: I did not file a tax return 2018. When I do file for 2018 I should get about another $600 (refund).

My wife and I have filed jointly for the last 8 years, not claiming her as a deduction, but myself head of household. She did not have an SS number, but her income was claimed putting me into a higher tax bracket.

I'm happy with the $1200 and have no gripes about not being $2400. There is a class action lawsuit filed for persons like us. Any further money will be considered as found money.

Yippee

So you did not file 2018 or 2019 form 1040?  I ask because my wife and I both collect SS, both are US citizens, filed our 2018 tax return, income not close to $150,000, neither has received our stimulus checks as of today.

mugtech wrote:

So you did not file 2018 or 2019 form 1040?  I ask because my wife and I both collect SS, both are US citizens, filed our 2018 tax return, income not close to $150,000, neither has received our stimulus checks as of today.

Did not file anything for 2018 or 2019. Besides SS direct deposit, on my 2016 & 2017 tax refund was direct deposited.

mugtech wrote:

I filed 2019. I haven´t received mine also on direct deposit.

One of my friends in the states says his deceased (two years) mother-in-law received a stimulus check in the mail.

W9XR wrote:

One of my friends in the states says his deceased (two years) mother-in-law received a stimulus check in the mail.

Well you know the dude who signed the check desperately needs your vote, I'm guessing he thinks she will do just fine.

Lat61 wrote:

Well you know the dude who signed the check desperately needs your vote, I'm guessing he thinks she will do just fine.

First of all Lat2Lunch

No Dude signed my check, it was direct deposit. It was the vote of the Dudes & Dudettes in congress who authorized the stimulus payments.

Did the mother in law report her death?  :|

" It was the vote of the Dudes & Dudettes in congress who authorized the stimulus payments."

I heard that one Trump supporter said, "it's a good job Obama isn't still president cos he's not a billionaire so he couldn't afford to give everyone $1,200 bucks"

FindlayMacD wrote:

I heard that one Trump supporter said, "it's a good job Obama isn't still president cos he's not a billionaire so he couldn't afford to give everyone $1,200 bucks"

Such a lame comment. . . . Millions of people are thankful for the $1200 with appreciation,  providing food on their table.

AaronAardvark wrote:

Did the mother in law report her death?  :|

I have no idea, but I think the funeral home would report it, or if they collected on insurance providing a death certificate it would be of record. He also said they returned the check.

ON THAT NOTE: I'm sure some expats collecting ss or pensions have instructed their spouse not to report their death so the direct deposits keep coming.

But then the spouse would loose their whopping payment of $255.00.  And, when they finally do find out the person died, whoever was getting the money will be required to pay it back.  No idea if someone could get away with 1 or 2 extra payments after a death.

AaronAardvark wrote:

But then the spouse would loose their whopping payment of $255.00.  And, when they finally do find out the person died, whoever was getting the money will be required to pay it back.  No idea if someone could get away with 1 or 2 extra payments after a death.

Yes . . . . Take the $255 and forgo thousands & thousands dollars. You would be surprised on how many people are collecting ss that are over 100 years old?

One important word you missed in my post is EXPATS, They maybe required to pay it back but if they live outside the US that would be doubtful.

The UK system is much better than in the US, in the UK the government introduced a furlough scheme where the government has paid 80% of the salary of workers if their employer furloughed them rather than firing them.

FindlayMacD wrote:

The UK system is much better than in the US, in the UK the government introduced a furlough scheme where the government has paid 80% of the salary of workers if their employer furloughed them rather than firing them.

80% of what? It's not the percentage that counts, how much do you make MacD flipping burgers? Take 80% of that.

FindlayMacD wrote:

The same in France. The employer pays 20% of your salary, the State pays 80% of your salary. In exchange the employer will keep the employees. Originally it is coming from Germany during the 2008 financial crisis

In the UK someone who normally happens to work in McDonald's flipping burgers full time for 40 hours per week is currently recieving the equivelent of $1,368 per month, that is a damn sight better than a on off payment of $1,200. This payment is limited to the first £20,000 per annum of earnings, so at the top end, the highest earners are getting up to $1,635 per month.

FindlayMacD wrote:

In the UK someone who normally happens to work in McDonald's flipping burgers full time for 40 hours per week is currently recieving the equivelent of $1,368 per month, that is a damn sight better than a on off payment of $1,200. This payment is limited to the first £20,000 per annum of earnings, so at the top end, the highest earners are getting up to $1,635 per month.

My understanding if I'm correct, most McDonald employees are part time workers, only managers work full time.

So what will these part time employee's receive in the stimulus in the UK?

W9XR wrote:

My understanding if I'm correct, most McDonald employees are part time workers, only managers work full time.

So what will these part time employee's receive in the stimulus in the UK?

In the USA they are scheduled for less than 30 hours/week so that the employer need not provide health care coverage.  Not a factor in the UK.

Burger flipper is an offensive or derisive term to refer to a person who works at a fast-food restaurant and lacks skills, intelligence, and ambition. It can also loosely apply to other unqualified, unmotivated workers who come into contact with customers...I've always respected the hard work they put into their work day in/day out by our very own friendly 'senior' hometown Mc Donalds Staff / where NO self respecting young citizen would ever be caught doing this hard underpaid/unappreciated work!

In the UK the employers are encouraged to make up the 20% and many do, I doubt very much that McDonalds do that.

manwonder wrote:

Burger flipper is an offensive or derisive term to refer to a person who works at a fast-food restaurant and lacks skills, intelligence, and ambition. It can also loosely apply to other unqualified, unmotivated workers who come into contact with customers...I've always respected the hard work they put into their work day in/day out by our very own friendly 'senior' hometown Mc Donalds Staff / where NO self respecting young citizen would ever be caught doing this hard underpaid/unappreciated work!

Many of the younger workers at fast food chains are already more educated than I will ever be. They are school kids saving for tuition, they are working wives helping the family make ends meet. They single moms fighting for survival. They are seniors supplementing their paltry pensions....We all walk a different mile. I appreciate them and get annoyed when people are rude to them.

Got more info about the IRS and stimulation payments.  They have hired 3,500 people to answer phones concerning the payments.  Supposedly 140,000,000 payments have already gone by direct deposit, paper checks, and debit cards.  About 4,000,000 debit cards went to people who had filed their tax returns at either the Andover or Austin IRS  offices and had no direct deposit info available to the IRS.  The debit cards are supposed to be accepted by any merchants who take Visa and no use fees are involved, can even get cash