Information on education of children and cost of living

Dears,

My name is Radek.
I come from POLAND and would like to move on to MADAGASCAR.
Me and my wife and our children. Can you please let me support and advice.
We would like to settle down  NOSY BE but not necessery.
I'm Logistics Engineer my wife is VET.

I would like information about the education of children aged 7-10.
I am also asking for information on the costs of living (renting a flat, approx. 80-90 SM, fees, living costs, school).

Thank you very much in advance.

BR,
Radek

Hello Radek,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that I have created a new topic on the Madagascar forum with your post.

Since your questions are quite specific, your post deserves a thread of its own for more visibility and better interaction with our members.

Hopefully, they will have some insight to share.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

The expat will be less so, particularly those who need the Internet and means of communication. These have a random quality and are quite expensive.

Price / rate 1 euro = 3.200Ar

House / home   
Rent 3 bedroom house in town (15km from the sea) / Rent of a house 3 BR in city (15 Km from the sea) [internet average / average] € 187.50, 600,000Ar
Rent 3 bedroom house by the sea / Rent of a house 3 BR in city on the beach [internet bad / bad] 375.00 €, 1.200.000Ar
Rent 2 bedroom house by the sea / Rent of a house 3 BR in city ​​on the beach [internet bad / bad] € 281.25, 900,000 Ar
Electricity without air conditioning / Electricity w / o aircon (4 pers) € 96.88, 310,000 Ar
Cable TV € 62.50, 200,000 Ar
Internet (Nosy Be: 230 kbs daytime / night-we 1Mbs daytime / night-we) 78,13 €, 250.000Ar
Gas € 31.25, 100.000
Maid full time / fulltime housemaid € 46.88, 150.000Ar

local market / local market       
Meat / Meat ZEBU (1kg) € 3.75, 12,000Ar
Chicken Malagasy Chicken € 4.06, 13,000Ar
Chicken / chicken € 4.69, 15,000Ar
Poisson / Fish (1kg) 2,50 €, 8,000Ar
Shrimps / Schrimps (1kg) 6,25 €, 20,000Ar
Vegetables / Vegeatable (1kg) 0,94 €, 3,000Ar
Potatoes / Potatoes 0,94 €, 3,000 Ar
Rice / Rice (1kg) € 0.63, 2.000 Ar
Eggs / Eggs (piece / piece) € 0.16, 500 Ar
Malagasy bread / bread (piece / piece) € 0.22, 700 Ar
Bread / bread (piece / piece) ) 0.38 €, 1.200 Ar
Pain au chocolat / choco bread (piece / piece) 0.75 €, 2.400 Ar
Anana / Pineapple 0.63 €, 2.000 Ar
Bananas / Bananas 0.31 €, 1.000 Ar

Products products
Huile / Oil (1l) 1,56 €, 5,000Ar
Pasta / Pasta (500gr) 1,25 €, 4,000Ar
Milk / Milk 1,88 € 6,000Ar
Sucre / Sugar 1,25 €, 4.000Ar
Beurre / Butter 1,88 €, 6,000 Ar
Mayonnaise (200gr) 1,25 €, 4,000 Ar

Drinks / drinks   
Water / water in bottle (1,5l) 0,63 €, 2,000 Ar
Beer / Malagasy beer (0,75l) 0.78 €, 2.500Ar
Rum (0.75l) 3.13, €, 10.000Ar
Malagasy Wine / Malgache wine 2.19 €, 7.000Ar
Coca-cola (1l) 0.63 €, 2.000Ar

Transport       
Bajaj (taxi in the city / taxi in the city) 0.31 €, 1.000 Ar
Taxi Hell-Ville - plage / beach (Taxi hors de ville / outside of the city) 0.63 €, 2.000Ar
Taxi special Hell-Ville - plage / beach (Taxi hors de ville / outside of the city) € 6.25, Ar 20.000

Bathroom / bath room
Malagasy bath soap / bath soap € 0.25, Ar 800
Bath soap / bath soap import 1.88 €, 6.000Ar
Toothpaste / toothpaste 1.56 €, 5.000Ar
Gilette 3 (piece / piece) 0.63 € 2.000Ar
Toilet paper / WC paper (4) 0.78 € , 2.500Ar
Shaving foam / shaving foam 3.75 €, 12.000Ar
Body cream / body cream import 3.44 €, 11.000Ar
Shampoo / Shampoo 2.19 €, 7.000Ar

Others / other   
Cyber ​​(1h) 0, 94 €, 3.000Ar
Restaurant (2 courses, 2 people + drinks / 2 courses 2 persons + drinks) 18.75 €, 60.000Ar
Local beer in a bar / Local beer in a bar 1.56 €, 5.000Ar
Coca in a bar / in a bar 0.63 €, 2.000 Ar
Petrol / Diesel (1l) 1.16 €, 3.700 Ar
Fitness 12.50 €, 40.000 Ar

Total / Totals       
Food / hygiene budget // Groceries 4 pers. 725.00 € 2.320.000Ar
Maison / Home Budget 440.63 € 1.410.000Ar

Hello Diksha,

I would like to thank you for the prompt suppot.

BR,
Radek

Dear,

As first thank you very much for the quick and detailed reply.

You can give me information about the possibilities of getting a job in the profession of logistics and veterinarian.
What does education of children look like, for example, primary school.

Thank you very much.

BR,
Radek

Dear Diksha,

Can you please support me cause would like to buy hause nearby the sea.
I"m ready to spent around 35.000 USD and hope it is enough.

Thank you!

BR,
Radek

As for your profession , you would need to contact https://edbm.mg/ for full details about your situation of work.
As for school the price can range from $1.50  per month per child for a Malagasy type private school to a full on French education in an AEFE type of school for $200  and more a month per child https://www.egd.mg/https://www.aefe.fr/reseau-scolaire-mon … -francoise The American School in Tana is even more expensive.
you cannot buy land but you can get a 99 year lease.  And $ 35,000 for land and a house will not be enough for a foreigner life style , unless you are willing to live in a Malagasy style of  cement house ,cement floor no tile...etc . Then there is the expense of building a wall around your property, wood is easily  broken and then  stolen and cement fence  is normal but expensive.   Getting water and electric to your house can be a long wait unless you are willing to pay expensive corruption money.

Dear Alex,

Thank ypou for the informations.

This is very important information for me for which I am extremely grateful to you.
Please, let me know about the cost of a brick or concrete house near the beach.

I have to ask you about crimes.  Is it risky a live in Madagascar?

Thank you and wish you very good day!

BR,
Radek

I think you should consider 50,000 dollars for a house, wall and property --minimum. 

Crime is a difficult subject to answer, as there are good neighborhoods and Miafia areas. Almost all houses are built with a metal grill on the windows, and almost all foreigners have Security guards, at least at night.   Most crimes are small but if you are seen to have money, which you do then you could be a target for a major crime, kidnapping, home invasion including bodily harm and death.  Also you know how to respect the local community as they have thin skin and losing face is a major factor  and you could be a target for retribution.  You need to learn to be non combative even if you are right- they steal or  don't do their job correctly  over and over  and over again including every day ,  you have to be calm and you can still not let them go and lose their job without an excuse that transcends the true problem.  Also good to have dogs on the property for some protection as well.   Crime is a topic that varies such as corruption that exists from the  very top all the way to the lowest levels of government and the police on the street.   Crime is seen as an income that is rarely punished and once again  fears of retribution.

Dear Alex,

One more time have to thank you and one more time have to asking you web bids for the buildings. Where can I them find?
I would like to live no expensive and would like conduct common and usually live.
We are very calm and peaceful people.
Can you please let me know prices for the wooden house?

We are tired fast and fourious live so hence our desicion.

Thank you!!!!!

BR,
Radek

Sorry, the Price of a wooden  house I do not know, I can say this that the wood here is not treated and cured, and when you buy the wood it is very damp  and very easily warped. and broken in the tropics and melts as the local expression says, which means you have to do replacements often   But what I can say the price is much less than a cement house.

Dear Alex,

Have you some websides at the local houses bid?

Thank you!

BR,
RADEK

It doesn't work like that here , everything is word of mouth by talking to the man on the street or visiting other construction sites and talking to the contractor.  Then you need to learn how to bargain as they will charge you 2 to 3 times the price, and you need to be on the construction site or else you will lose your materials in the dark of night. 

You best come to Madagascar and see for yourself as this country is like no other and your questions should not reflect your home country lifestyle.

You have given very practical information on the topic as usuaul.
Appreciate the time and effort you put in researching and publishing useful information about the country,  especially a new comer's point of view.
Stay blessed dear friend. :one:up:
Aubb.

Amazing hard to find facts on ground realities in Madagascar!!!!
Best wishes.
Aubb.