Salary expectation for an Expat Product Manager

I am being considered for a Product Manager position in a leading financial corp. What would be a good compensation range. I am married with 2 kindergarten going kids.

Thanks,
S

What are they offering? 

Bear in mind that the kids can't go to Vietnamese school so budget 1 billion VND for the two of them for international school, or $20,000 USD per kid per year.

So realistically you will need around $100,000 USD minimum to cover living expenses assuming you aren't planning on living like a local, including the kids' education.

SteinNebraska wrote:

What are they offering? 

Bear in mind that the kids can't go to Vietnamese school so budget 1 billion VND for the two of them for international school, or $20,000 USD per kid per year.

So realistically you will need around $100,000 USD minimum to cover living expenses assuming you aren't planning on living like a local, including the kids' education.

Per your suggestion, after tuition he is left with $60,000 for living expenses.  Subtract $24,000 for a very high end apartment or villa and you are still left with $36,000.  I have no idea about the tax situation for Indian nationals working in other countries but I expect that it is favorable.  I think he can manage to survive.

THIGV wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

What are they offering? 

Per your suggestion, after tuition he is left with $60,000 for living expenses.  Subtract $24,000 for a very high end apartment or villa and you are still left with $36,000.  I have no idea about the tax situation for Indian nationals working in other countries but I expect that it is favorable.  I think he can manage to survive.

Yes, I assumed $5,000 a month for a family of four, wife not working, expat-type housing.  Probably a car and driver.  That might be a bit high for expenses but the whole purpose of working isn't to just "survive" and be dead broke by the end of the year but to save some money, do some vacations, travel home.  People get too wrapped up about just existing.  There's no way I would move my family here from the US and just "get by".  Gotta look to the future as well.  If he was just going to get by he could stay wherever he is right now.  Had I not met someone I would have never moved here on my own and gave up what I was making in the US.

I did use the word "expenses" in my previous post but that is a bit heavy handed.  I've posted before here on one of the 'how much does it cost to live here' threads.  We spend about 60,000,000 per month on expenses and I don't have a car and my wife's daughter goes to Vietnamese school but does go to VUS for English in the evenings.  His costs will likely be higher with two kids instead of one and a wife who won't be living like a local (just guessing on this part).

SteinNebraska wrote:
THIGV wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

What are they offering? 

Yes, I assumed $5,000 a month for a family of four, wife not working, expat-type housing.  Probably a car and driver.  That might be a bit high for expenses but the whole purpose of working isn't to just "survive" and be dead broke by the end of the year but to save some money, do some vacations, travel home.  People get too wrapped up about just existing.  There's no way I would move my family here from the US and just "get by".  Gotta look to the future as well.  If he was just going to get by he could stay wherever he is right now.  Had I not met someone I would have never moved here on my own and gave up what I was making in the US.

I did use the word "expenses" in my previous post but that is a bit heavy handed.  I've posted before here on one of the 'how much does it cost to live here' threads.  We spend about 60,000,000 per month on expenses and I don't have a car and my wife's daughter goes to Vietnamese school but does go to VUS for English in the evenings.  His costs will likely be higher with two kids instead of one and a wife who won't be living like a local (just guessing on this part).

You spend 60 million a month, you must be living a very high life or supporting your wifes family.

For 60 million/month I'd expect: truffles, caviar and Dom Perignon.

Thank You for the response.

How much does it cost for a 3 bed apartment in a good locality in Ho Chi Minh city?

SKK001 wrote:

Thank You for the response.

How much does it cost for a 3 bed apartment in a good locality in Ho Chi Minh city?

Have a look on Facebook there are numerous sites related to apartment rentals.

I have to agree with Stein here. The sole reason of working should not be to just "get by". I know that this is harsh reality for the majority of people but definitely doesn't apply to people that can choose to live and work in another country for the 'experience' rather than out of economical necessity.

And working abroad also means  a lot of additional costs that might not apply back home. Additional private healthcare (at least for most European citizens), education for children, flights back home, expenses in your home country when living abroad temporarily, transportation costs (in many countries you'll want to have a driver to get family around), increased need for savings to deal with uncertainties etc.

If I was employed I would not take a job abroad without increasing my standard of living.

Just for reference,  I pay 58.000.000 VND for my apartment as a single guy (admittedly with a big home office room) alone. So I'd say Stein definitely lives on a very healthy budget considering he provides for his wife, stepdaughter and his in laws (just assumed). I'd have to spend a lot more with family as I'd want my children to be educated internationally.

cruisemonkey wrote:

Not what I enjoy but nothing wrong with it imho.

devbob wrote:

I have to agree with Stein here. The sole reason of working should not be to just "get by". I know that this is harsh reality for the majority of people but definitely doesn't apply to people that can choose to live and work in another country for the 'experience' rather than out of economical necessity.

And working abroad also means  a lot of additional costs that might not apply back home. Additional private healthcare (at least for most European citizens), education for children, flights back home, expenses in your home country when living abroad temporarily, transportation costs (in many countries you'll want to have a driver to get family around), increased need for savings to deal with uncertainties etc.

If I was employed I would not take a job abroad without increasing my standard of living.

Just for reference,  I pay 58.000.000 VND for my apartment as a single guy (admittedly with a big home office room) alone. So I'd say Stein definitely lives on a very healthy budget considering he provides for his wife, stepdaughter and his in laws (just assumed). I'd have to spend a lot more with family as I'd want my children to be educated internationally.

cruisemonkey wrote:

Not what I enjoy but nothing wrong with it imho.

58 million for an apartment, you're joking. It must be massive or its a penthouse.

colinoscapee wrote:

58 million for an apartment, you're joking. It must be massive or its a penthouse.

Neither I would say. 60 million doesn't get you a nice penthouse in this city. At least I wasn't offered any  that were somewhat close to where I wanted to live.

140m² according to the floor plan. But that includes balconies and laundry room. As I work from home one bedroom is solely used as an office.
Obviously a nice place with great amenities but not what I would consider extravagant.

devbob wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Neither I would say. 60 million doesn't get you a nice penthouse in this city. At least I wasn't offered any  that were somewhat close to where I wanted to live.

140m² according to the floor plan. But that includes balconies and laundry room. As I work from home one bedroom is solely used as an office.
Obviously a nice place with great amenities but not what I would consider extravagant.

You must be in either D1 or D2 for that price.

colinoscapee wrote:

You must be in either D1 or D2 for that price.

City Garden in Bình Thạnh in case you were wondering.