Medication in Ireland

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like Ireland with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Ireland?

Would you have said that in Ireland drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Hello!!!
I've never had problems with that, the main thing is to find the brand that gives that medication in the next country, for that you can use vademécum that tells you the brands in each country with the same medicine.

About cost obviously coming from Spain Ireland is going to be much more expensive as it doesn't have covers medicines as I have in Spain.

Other point you would see for example some countries sell 600mg ibuprophen when others only sell 200 and 400mg but If that's the problem you can always take the dosis with one tablet of each!

What I find super weird is being able to buy medicines for a cold or the flu in the supermarket 🤣
Thank you for your inputs, Gloria! it  is very much appreciated!

Regards,
Bhavna