What type of water filtration system are you using?

I just completed two years of Peace Corps Service, where I used the wonderful ceramic Berkey water filters, but now that my service is completely, I had to return it. I'm hoping to get down to Tana for the Embassy's next auction, so I can buy a used one, but that's in a few months.

What are you all using to filter your drinking/cooking water? Thanks.

I catch water from the sky/rain.  Nothing sweeter than the real thing.   Filters run the risk of bacteria build up.  Does Amazon have a similar filter system you can share to point to the one you used to use.

Which city in Madagascar do you live in?  I am not aware of Chlorine in the water though there are other chemicals that when you boil the water for safety the pots have a white calcium buildup, that if let to stay in the pot without cleaning can build up to 1/4 inch over a years time.   Tamatave water is a light brown, and  from what I hear is because of all the holes in the pipes.

My husband and I will soon move to Antsirabe. We were told we will live in the surroundings of Cotona. When I googled houses near cotona I didn't find any house. I have no idea in what kind of house we will get. Can someone show me some photos of houses near cotona?

Asifa Jeeawody wrote:

My husband and I will soon move to Antsirabe. We were told we will live in the surroundings of Cotona. When I googled houses near cotona I didn't find any house. I have no idea in what kind of house we will get. Can someone show me some photos of houses near cotona?

Hi !
You're seeking for a house for rent or for purchase?
First of all, googling is not the best way for both.
You must be fortunate to find a house precisely in the surroundings of Cotona (further presuming you have some criterias). 
[Malagasy] Real estate agents are the worst peoples I recommend friends to talk to, so it would be better to have friends or so living here (even far from Antsirabe) to help you finding your house.

For rent. How are the houses near cotona? Are they beautiful? What type of houses are found there? Can I have some pictures.

I bought a multiple cartridge inline one from SANIFER which is hooked up on the water pipe that goes into my kitchen plumbed to one tap just for drinking water.  They are not exactly cheap.  I rigged up a double system so a total of four cartridges, the first three take out the mud and larger particles from the JIRAMA water and they are washable.  You need to keep the system clean with very regular washing of the washable filters.  The final fourth one takes out the fine particles and etc and it is disposable.  You can get them from any of the SANIFER shops around Tana.

I was wondering about this too. It seems to me that bottled water in Madagascar actually costs more than it does in the United States. Last time I was there I stayed in Andohalo, and the tap water looked drinkable. I didn't drink it, but I did cook with it. I think a Brita pitcher might work. This time I'm going to be staying near Camp Kapsat. Does anyone know anything about that neighborhood? I think it's near the botanical garden, but I can't find anything on a map.

If you saw what comes out of my filters, you would never drink the tap water again, but I am in Fort Dauphin, not Tana.