Road Trip

Ok, so having never ridden a scooter before.. and having seen top gear do the four HCM to Ha Long trip.. 

How easy or risky would it be ? As I don't have a licence I would have to use a 50cc scooter ? Is it possible ? I have zero knowledge about scooters or motorbikes.

If it's possible how long should I allow ? What essentials are needed ?

Just planning or idea stage at the moment and  no timescale either

This is what happens when you have too much free time ... Maybe I should buy a PS4 after all

Have you written a will out? Just saying.
Whistler

Ahhh I just read somewhere else that 50cc won't be suitable..
Then read horror stories about others who have tried... Time to convert UK licence for car to VN one.

Like many ideas after being out in the sun too long. Sounds good in theory

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Ahhh I just read somewhere else that 50cc won't be suitable..
Then read horror stories about others who have tried... Time to convert UK licence for car to VN one.

Like many ideas after being out in the sun too long. Sounds good in theory

forget the car,
1....Not being cheeky,  but have you checked the price of cars here?
2.....I think you will be lucky to get anyone to rent you one without them providing the driver.
3......OK less chance of you getting hurt in a car, but more chance of you hurting a Vietnamese on a scooter or bike or walking or what ever & then you are in BIG BIG trouble, believe me you better have a big bank account or ready to do some serious time in the Saigon Hilton! & if they see you are a foreigner even if they are not badly hurt you might have to fork out some serious cash if they decide they cant work for a month or two due to shock or back pain & you have to financially provide for the family until they feel they can go back to work!
My x wife (vietnamese) at the time was in an accident, her in car & guy on MB. Guy drunk hit her broadside. Guy in a coma in hospital, she had to foot the bill for hospital & pay the family 10,000usd compensation when they pulled the plug on him 2 weeks later. There are very strange rules regarding accidents here & who is responsible for costs etc which I am sure someone more up in Vietnam law will be better than me to explain.

My experience after almost 4 years and almost 100.000km.  It's big fun. 75%  of the Vietnamese have no clue about the traffic rules, priority, opposite direction, red light but not for everybody  or they stop at the red light right side of the road and when its green they want to go left . Most important thing is your horn and the noise of your bike, warning all the locals I'm here and I've priority and I'll take it ! Never hesitate !. And ok, the bus ,taxi, truck drivers  they're a pain in the ass with their F1 mentality. Use your mirrors, most Vietnamese, like my girlfriend they use it to check if they're good looking, lipstick ok  or even they don't have side mirrors and use their hands  to sign and sometimes after discussion with the passenger or other scooter  they just go  another direction without checking if there is somebody behind them. When I pass I'm always singing "I can fly ". I would say try to do first a small trip ( not so easy If you're living in HCM or Hanoi ), so go outside ( little village) rent a scooter and give it a go. What I like is all those guys with their new cars and trying to make a U turn, sometimes I suspect if there was no door they would just lean outside and trying to make the turn. My neighbour hit 3 times a pole when he tried to enter his garage and killed his dog ! The first month I simply parked my scooter inside or opposite the road, just to be sure  :D

As they say......In Vietnam ROAD IS ROAD.

Sobie wrote:

My experience after almost 4 years and almost 100.000km.  It's big fun. 75%  of the Vietnamese have no clue about the traffic rules, priority, opposite direction, red light but not for everybody  or they stop at the red light right side of the road and when its green they want to go left . Most important thing is your horn and the noise of your bike, warning all the locals I'm here and I've priority and I'll take it ! Never hesitate !. And ok, the bus ,taxi, truck drivers  they're a pain in the ass with their F1 mentality. Use your mirrors, most Vietnamese, like my girlfriend they use it to check if they're good looking, lipstick ok  or even they don't have side mirrors and use their hands  to sign and sometimes after discussion with the passenger or other scooter  they just go  another direction without checking if there is somebody behind them. When I pass I'm always singing "I can fly ". I would say try to do first a small trip ( not so easy If you're living in HCM or Hanoi ), so go outside ( little village) rent a scooter and give it a go. What I like is all those guys with their new cars and trying to make a U turn, sometimes I suspect if there was no door they would just lean outside and trying to make the turn. My neighbour hit 3 times a pole when he tried to enter his garage and killed his dog ! The first month I simply parked my scooter inside or opposite the road, just to be sure  :D

:lol::lol::lol: its all true :lol:

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Ok, so having never ridden a scooter before.. and having seen top gear do the four HCM to Ha Long trip.. 

How easy or risky would it be ? As I don't have a licence I would have to use a 50cc scooter ? Is it possible ? I have zero knowledge about scooters or motorbikes.

If it's possible how long should I allow ? What essentials are needed ?

Just planning or idea stage at the moment and  no timescale either

This is what happens when you have too much free time ... Maybe I should buy a PS4 after all

Have a gander at this forum:

https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorc … rts-81182/

Although, it seems reports of North to South appear more often. e.g:

https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorc … inh.15336/https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorc … -way.1000/

Here's one going South to North (Saigon to Da Nang):
https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorc … ang.15158/