Saw a huge monitor lizard in my yard.

I though that a branch had fallen from one of the trees. Then it started lumbering across the yard. He was maybe three feet long. It's only the second one I have seen in ten years. They are fast and agile. Even the cats have a hard time hunting them. They are gone before you can get a picture of them. My wife tells me that these are one reason for disappearing chickens.

Only cooler animal I have spotted was the big black snake in a pile of bamboo years ago. My wife said it was not a python, but a cobra from the mountains just above us where there are many like it.

There are stories of crocs turning up on the beaches here, but those are from decades back.

Wow
If I were you I would check and see if anti-venom for the Cobras is within reach if you were to get bit! Not likely but there are several really bad cobra types here and plenty of anti-venom but not always where the snakes are! Most cobra's are shier snakes but the really bad one is the Philippine Cobra who is especially deadly and has a bad temper lol
This post should generate a lot of feedback lol

lasvegan wrote:

Wow
If I were you I would check and see if anti-venom for the Cobras is within reach if you were to get bit! Not likely but there are several really bad cobra types here and plenty of anti-venom but not always where the snakes are! Most cobra's are shier snakes but the really bad one is the Philippine Cobra who is especially deadly and has a bad temper lol
This post should generate a lot of feedback lol

He was not supposed to be down here where we are. I tell myself it was only a python. My wife worked rice fields near Cotabato when she was a kid and she tells me that there were many of them in that place.

But if you are bitten there is not hope where we are.

Same for stroke or heart attack.

There are scorpions here too and they look like bark scorpions in the US, but I doubt they are the same.

They have bark scorpions in Vegas? People usually get bitten by leaning against something where the scorpion is perched.

Don't get me started on Vegas scorpions.....lol! The Bark scorpions were brought in from Mexico during the big boom from 1997 to 2002! People wanted mature palm trees in there new yards in there new houses lol! I spent 5 years in Vegas and been stung so many times lost count! You know when you been stung by Bark because it feels like a thousand needles sticking you all at once! The dumbest time was a double sting by the same scorpion! I was surveying the water manholes for the city and opened one stuck our 25' rod down to get the depth but it didn't hit bottom causing me to fall forward and i had to put my hand down on the inner ring and Wella! Ouch! I pulled my hand away! Duh!! and fell again putting my hand down in the same spot and of course the little bastard took the opportunity to educate me on Scorpion avoidance 101! Two nice scars grace my thumb as a reminder! Just to let you know the Arizona Bark Scorpion is in the Philippines! Several poison type here but most are harmless other then the big ouch! So be leery of any that are small and light brown!

Safer here than Australia, crocs, sharks, baby eating dingoes, scorpions and 22/25 deadliest snakes. Then you have the two legged variety.

Some of the cobras here don't have to bite you, they spit venom into your eyes. Always wear eye protection if you are going to mess with them.

Yup
and stay more then 9' away as that is the spitting range! Australia is the undisputed poison animal kingdom of the planet! Congrats! Mates! This calls for a Foster's for sure!

If these 'vermins' are found near yr home...Try blasting yr High Wattage Stereo speakers : especially the track by Eagles "Hotel California" ...somehow 'vermins' jus despise the sound & slither/scurry away fast...far far away!!!....hahaha!!!
On a serious note, I too have experienced 1st hand the 'philippine cobra'...it was spotted coiled & lying below a pile of bamboo strips within my compound..lucky I was with my workers at that time & they told me that it had to be killed (something in the lines of them coming back to attack/revenge if they were injured!) & one chap armed with a 6ft steel pipe managed to smash its head after 2 attempts and then paraded it outside my home for the neighbours to start some long winded 'bisaya' stories which I could not understand!....Just lucky for us it did'nt have the time to 'spit'.

Good thing about snakes is that they taste like chicken. I has been decades, but when I was a scout we killed a rattler and ate it. They did not let us have any Fosters with it.

Snake without Foster's is like Christmas without Santa
Rattlesnake is very good! In Oregon we had fresh caught trout and rattler cooked on the campfire telling tall tales

Those monitor lizards are cool. I have a place in the foothills above Tucson and there's so many critters there it's amazing. Last fall on the full moon I came home and there's two rattlers mating in the road in front of my place. Yeah, end to end, stuck together at the tails, lol. Almost the width of the road. So when I get back later this spring I'll need to watch out for the babies. The roadrunners will probably get them (I hope). I have to keep sticky traps in the house near the doors and get at least one bark scorpion a month.

pnwcyclist wrote:

Those monitor lizards are cool. I have a place in the foothills above Tucson and there's so many critters there it's amazing. Last fall on the full moon I came home and there's two rattlers mating in the road in front of my place. Yeah, end to end, stuck together at the tails, lol. Almost the width of the road. So when I get back later this spring I'll need to watch out for the babies. The roadrunners will probably get them (I hope). I have to keep sticky traps in the house near the doors and get at least one bark scorpion a month.

Watch out for the gila monsters and black widows.

I stayed in a place outside of Tucson a long time ago. We were woke up in the middle of the night to crazy howling. It sounded like ten coyotes. It turned out to be one coyote.

The sad part is that ever since the end of the Philipppine Cobra incident,...I've noticed the emerging of the large 'ROOF' rat (The smaller stray cats can't seem to be able to handle the sucker!)
That is another worry and it comes out only @ nites & I can hear the pots & pans clatter...whilst my High Wattage Stereo speakers are & should be asleep....Haizzzz

manwonder wrote:

The sad part is that ever since the end of the Philipppine Cobra incident,...I've noticed the emerging of the large 'ROOF' rat (The smaller stray cats can't seem to be able to handle the sucker!)
That is another worry and it comes out only @ nites & I can hear the pots & pans clatter...whilst my High Wattage Stereo speakers are & should be asleep....Haizzzz

I have been hearing things tumbling around in our attic for a while now. I need to have the wife go up and check it out some time.

Philippine DestinyI wrote:

I have been hearing things tumbling around in our attic for a while now. I need to have the wife go up and check it out some time.

She goes up into the Attic &
Best to standbye near the dangerous large woofer speakers with the rock ballads track on hold/mute & ready to blast away!

Hahaha!!
Cheers

Haha, send *her* up, funny one..

Yeah I love the coyotes.

If I ever get the big speakers I will blast Zeppelin or maybe some Iron maiden. No one here has experienced that before.

Future headline: "Expat deported for blasting DIO at 3am"

nah

if I start doing that everyone will be doing it in a week

Philippine Destiny wrote:

If I ever get the big speakers I will blast Zeppelin or maybe some Iron maiden. No one here has experienced that before.

nah

Yeah babe yeah...Iron Maiden (Killers) & at full blast will make those roof rats terrified & send them scurrying into yr neighbours compond!!!...beats/saves money instead of buying rat glue/traps if you asked me!
Hmmmm!!! it jus might work!!!

:/

Dimmu Borgir and Gorgoroth are what you need if you want loud scary music! This will wake them up! Black Metal Lives!! urah!!

Thanks guys...Its a real fine balance, As much as I despise the roof rats...my pet dog 'cocoa' also appears to get affected & howls loudly especially when playing those Heavy Metal tracks...In fact on Pre New Year Celebration 2020, we blasted the music together with a fire work display..she actually ran & hid under our bed ...poor girl she does get affected so need to sort out the music thingy!!!

I'll drink to that.

Hello
Next trip back to Australia, I will reclaim my electric fencer unit. a few wires here, a few wires there. No more cats walking along the fence.

manwonder wrote:

Thanks guys...Its a real fine balance, As much as I despise the roof rats...my pet dog 'cocoa' also appears to get affected & howls loudly especially when playing those Heavy Metal tracks...In fact on Pre New Year Celebration 2020, we blasted the music together with a fire work display..she actually ran & hid under our bed ...poor girl she does get affected so need to sort out the music thingy!!!

you need a cat

Locals say have a cat for snakes ...got a few snakes purple colour on top ...monitor lizards take a manok heard they good tucker ...northern samar cobra suspose be deadlest one in the world

Munchie wrote:

Some of the cobras here don't have to bite you, they spit venom into your eyes. Always wear eye protection if you are going to mess with them.

Yeah, ok. I´ll wear my swimming goggles when I go up at Bantay Gusing!  :D

Good thing about snakes is that they taste like chicken. I has been decades, but when I was a scout we killed a rattler and ate it. They did not let us have any Fosters with it.

The monitor lizard (banyas) in Ilocano tastes the same as rattle snake. Like chicken. Chase it down with Tanduay rum os Sioktong!

robal

manwonder wrote:

I just hope its not a nesting cobra at your attic. I found one in my attic once...

nah

I like Led Zeppelin more. I´m sure they´ll join you to drive the critters away in your community.  :D

GoDees wrote:

Hello
Next trip back to Australia, I will reclaim my electric fencer unit. a few wires here, a few wires there. No more cats walking along the fence.

Just make sure you don´t electrecute your neighbor´s cat.  :D

manwonder wrote:

you need a cat

You need a Dalmatian. My dog howls with jazz music and don´t scare with fireworks.

robal wrote:
GoDees wrote:

Hello

Just make sure you don´t electrecute your neighbor´s cat.  :D

No one seems to own cats here, they are mangy feral things that come over the fence from outside the subdivision. They need to be controlled as well as the dog population.

robal wrote:
manwonder wrote:

you need a cat

You need a Dalmatian. My dog howls with jazz music and don´t scare with fireworks.

We want a husky or maybe a Rottweiler.

GoDees wrote:

Hello

No more anything!!!

Hmmmm!!!!
:/:/:/

cats for the rats

dogs for the cats

and rocks for the dogs

and then run from my wife for throwing all of her landscaping rocks at the dogs

We live about 10 minutes north of Tagaytay off the beaten path,  fields, a year-round stream and plenty of wildlife.  Love watching all the birds.

We do have an occasional cobra in the area, though it's fairly rare.  One thing we do have at times are visitors in the attic.
We started throwing a pretty good supply of mothballs in the attic about a year or so ago and we haven't had any problems since then (that we know of).  We replenish them about every three months or so and also throw a few in the drains around the house.  Seems to help.

TeeJay4103 wrote:

We live about 10 minutes north of Tagaytay off the beaten path,  fields, a year-round stream and plenty of wildlife.  Love watching all the birds.

We do have an occasional cobra in the area, though it's fairly rare.  One thing we do have at times are visitors in the attic.
We started throwing a pretty good supply of mothballs in the attic about a year or so ago and we haven't had any problems since then (that we know of).  We replenish them about every three months or so and also throw a few in the drains around the house.  Seems to help.

I tried mothballs but I guess it only works in an enclosed space "like an attic" as you say.

I read somewhere that you can try mixing DRY cement powder wif sugar (not too sure of the ratio) and then letting the rats feed on it!...after which they get thirsty and go for a drink of water. I guess you know what happens then!
I'm going to see if it works!
Another thing is I'm not sure if they are ROOF rats or NORWAY rats (they are huge easily 0.5kgs/1.1 pound) and  just saw an 'aggressive' one last night!

:sick

Thanks

Nice. I saw one of those when I was walking down the road in the southern part of Cebu. Got a video of it running away when I spotted it too.

The best thing i ever used for rat control was a couple of small cloth breathable sacks kinda like tobacco comes in for roll your own with snake droppings in them! rats smell that and hightail it out of there!

You can by them pre-packed in pet stores in the states! might ask pet stores here if they can make some!

they should at least be able to provide you with snake droppings