New members of the USA forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the USA forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in the USA if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Im not at all sure if Im even typing on the right “thread”!!? We've been in the USA for 19 years already, but we recently moved to Chattanooga TN, and were wondering if there are any Saffas living around here? Always good to have another friend from the “Homeland” over for coffee (or wine) ;)

Hello Susanlouw & Marieke Derikx and welcome to the forum,
@ Susanlouw You can always take a look at the USA expat network maybe you'll see some people to drink coffee (or wine) with.

@Marieke Derikx we'll be pleased to listen about your plan(s) in the states ! A new adventure is always exciting but questions may arrise somehow, don't hesitate to create a new topic if you have any questions regarding your expatriation :D
wishing you a great day. :)

Thank you for the welcome Julien! I'm moving to Elkton, Maryland in April to live with my daughter and son-in-law. A whole new life awaits and it's pretty exciting  but will also be sad to leave behind family and friends here in South Africa.

Hi
I am living in US last 21 years, but last year in August we moved to Hawaii Oahu and we don't know anybody here.
I am originally from Turkey but I was away so many years. Living in Hawaii is awesome but you need your community.

Hey,
Nice to meet you all

Hi.
i am from Canada, Montreal to be exact. moving to Hawaii in June 2020..
still in the early stage of job search.  Enjoy the sun for all of us here daydreaming about Hawaii :-)

Afo
Hawaii awesome place to live. But it is ] different in any way than America. Let me know if you need any info. Life is more slow and calm in here, depend on which island you will move there will be differences.
we are here for 6 months but we learned a lot. :)

Job hunt really really hard from outside. We tried 3 years and finally, my husband came to islands and rent a place (local address helps) It took 3 months to find a job and 1.5 months took paperwork :) (Island time- he is in IT) Of course depends on your line of business. There are jobs but companies have bad experiences with newcomers. People move back in a few months or a year, they really want to be sure they are investing a stable employee.
They are more friendly with different nationalities than US citizens. It is important to know people, have a network. "I know a guy" is a phrase you will hear a lot.

Thanks Mia, just reading the kind words was a motivation for me today, after receiving a rejection letter.
we keep on keeping on. Here's to many more happy-sunny-6-months in Hawaii.

Don't give up. It is definitely worth it.

Hello
My name is Pempho Prayer Mwale from Malawi.
I am an aupair. I plan to do my aupair years in the USA. I am 22 years old and live in Malawi.

I love Children and they love me. Babysitting and accompanying them will therefore be very amusing for both. I love cleaning, organizing and tidying up and making sure my home is always presentable at its best shape. Since I am used to living myself for many years whilst in school and during my working days when I have to work far from home, I have learnt to take responsibilities such as buying groceries and running other important home errands. For the aupair program, I will also be available for travels with my host family in order to assist them with the necessities. I am a very flexible person and can quickly adopt and adjust  to new rhythms. I would love to explore the world. Learn different cultures and languages. And to share mine with others. I am looking forward to get out of my comfort zone to see and experience new things, and challenge myself into new ways of life.

Thank you.

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum

Just want to move to a beautiful place in Montana.
I want to practice accounting until I die...
I am 57 years old from Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico is USA territory, so I am a USA citizen since I was born.
Looking to live in peace and die in peace...

ok thanks

how is everyone doing with the COVID-19. sending alll  of you LOVE

bored and you ?

Hi Everyone.

My name is Pauline, and my son is now an expat. He was hired by a company in Spain by a tech company.  Since he was in Spain, I had to handle a lot of the visa paperwork etc for him. As a potential future expat, I never expected there to be this much paperwork!

Im glad to see others like me on this forum, as many of us are new to this whole thing. For anybody else who had issues with paperwork regarding getting something called an "apostille" (I never heard of that before my son mentioned it to me) , I was helped by a provider called National Apostille, not sure if any of you have heard of them!  I may join my son in Spain soon, and hopefully the process will be easier this time around. Glad to be part of the community!

Hi!
Hope everyone is staying safe!
We're looking at moving from the UK to Florida in the next couple of years. However doing the research we need to ensure we are getting the right work visa.
Any help and advice on where to start seeking work that offer these visa/sponsorship would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

I am new here

Hi I am Loveness from Zimbabwe, currently working in South Africa. I am a teacher and would love to work in USA in the near future,would also appreciate it if I get help on how I can work in the USA

Hi
Am Loveness, would love to work and live in the USA, your help on how I can go about it would be greatly appreciated.

hello all,
am Joseph Bugingo
Software Engineer
specialized in WordPress Development (Website Design)
and am an SEO Expert
at Kabira Safaris and Kabira Gorilla Holidays
Thanks am looking for work
here is my ***

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details for safety reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello SA Girl!  I was born in Argentina, but moved to South Africa when I was very young.  Lived in Durban first, then moved shortly to J'burg, but finally to Cape Town shortly after.  Worked for Southern Sun and Protea hotels for many years there.  I had the time of my life.  Then moved to the US where I married and lived for 17 years. Now my husband and I are planning our soon return back to the US, and hopefully settle in Maine.  There's a South African shop in Atlanta, GA, where I used to order South African products from.  My favorites, Romany Cream's and Rusks.  GOD knows how much I miss those, and so does my American husband.***  Look forward to hearing from you.

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : for security reasons, we do not accept personal information on the forum. Share them through the private message system
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks for your introductions :)

As all new members who are planning their move to the US, the first step in getting started would be browsing through our Living in USA guide. It contains articles which revolve around aspects of one's life as an expat such as visa procedures, accommodation, work and health care, among others.

Please make sure to go through them to have all the essential information to make a successful move to the US.

If you are looking for information which is more precise, you are most welcome to start new threads on the USA forum.

Good luck in all of your future plans,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Thanks, I am a Full stack developer

Hi, I'm new here and I'm a businessman from China.

Hello satyaprakash and Finsty,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks for saying hi to the Expat.com community of the USA forum.

I would invite you to participate to our latest threads on the USA forum and interact with our new as well as long-time members to find out more about their expat journey.

Should you have any query of your own which requires insight from fellow expats or expats-to-be, do not hesitate to create a new topic for it.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hello,

I am new to this site. I am French, originally from Alsace and have lived on the East coast for more than 25 years. I am looking to move back to my native region this fall.
I would love to hear anyone's experience about moving back to France after a long stay in the US.

Solange

Californian here.  Planning on working for another 10 more years and am looking at a different place to live for the latter part of life.  I speak some Spanish and have never been to Costa Rica.  Looking forward to making a few trips to see what the country looks like.

My name Eyong Collins Ndip
Did Civil engineering in school
I'm Cameroonian
Presently live in the economic capital Douala
I have always had plans of traveling to the USA but things have not been favorable for me financially since I don't yet have and even the wants I have worked the boss have been able to pay. My Hobbits l love reading, listen to music,  play and watch football and above Love architectural designs.eg plan drawing.
Hope this will be enough for now.

Anyway I have been in USA more than eight years

Hi everyone

Hello,

My name is Alexander Castro, I love traveling, my favorite sport car is a camaro, Football, love FOOD 🤣 and my extreme sport is being a REALTOR🏡.

I'm a Jersey boy, married to my beautiful wife for the past 19 years and I'm blessed to have some awesome children.

Florida is amazing!! We live in Vero Beach,Florida and it's a hidden gem. Great to retire, invest, for vacation or to raise children.

I'm looking forward in meeting you all 😀

Welcome 🙌

Puerto Rico? What part? I live there for over 12 years. My wife's family live in PR and whule living in PR, I  specialized in helping investors find properties but after hurricane Maria it changed everything and then we decided to find a suitable and perfect place for us and we found it😀

Hi everyone, my name is Mike. I now live in New York and moved here from Toronto, Canada.

If I can help anyone from Canada who is thinking of moving to New York, please let me know. Anyone who is interested in New York can contact me too.

Best,
Mike

Hey,

I'm Ahmad from Singapore and planning to move to LA to work.

Need some good tips and advice.

I am in Colorado and love it here!

Hello all,
I've been living in New Jersey since moving here from Malaysia in 2000. I'm still in New Jersey but I've traveled and visited other US states mainly on the East Coast and vacationed in Hawaii. The last few years have been traveling mainly to Central America, such as Costa Rica, Panama, and Mexico. Now that I'm reaching my 50s, am hoping to retire either back in Malaysia or Costa Rica (both countries for excellent healthcare), Would be interested in hearing others who moved to other countries from the USA to retire of your experiences, such as - if you missed the US much, did the new country/place meet your expectations, what were the things that surprised you when you moved, etc. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I have not had medical treatment in Costa Rica when i was there...but i lived in Malaysia and i had the best medical treatment there... I think it is world class medical care in Malaysia.. very good!

Closed