Just for fun: Unusual cultural habits in China and around the world

In this Just for fun thread, we would like to highlight unconventional customs which make China stand out. This is a chance, at the same time, to learn about other countries' equally interesting traditions.

1. Which country considers cats to be lucky? How about China?
2. In which country should you not write in red ink?
3. Is there anything like a 15-minute grace period in China or is showing up on time or earlier a common practice?
4. In which country do people greet each other by rubbing noses?
5. What is one custom associated with Chinese culture that you have found to be quite unusual?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

Being an Aussie, I can add my little bit of knowlege..

Cats not significant apart from anyone who thinks it is unlucky for a black cat to walk in front of them. 

Aussies definitely not write in red ink unless you are going correcting your students with large crosses for errors.  I practice this often. 

If you are attending a meeting, you should be early.  If you are attending a party, you have up to 1 hour grace period.  If you are waiting for a taxi......good luck if you get one at all. hehehe

Definitely not rub noses.  A good handshake for people you meet or good friends.  The stronger the handshake, the better judge of character of the person.  Hugs for family and close friends.

Unusual culture but enjoy:
The love of food especially during lunch.  I just want to eat and keep working....hehehe
Starting work late....... Aussies like to start early and finish early.
Your love of Chinese white wine.  I am sure it could fuel the space program and rockets to the moon....hahahah.

Thanks for the chance to offer my weird thinking.  :)

Cheers
Bruce

- As for the cats I know they are quite free and easy in public in Asian countries, the same is true about Turkey and there everyone feeds the cats and welcomes them at home and everywhere, but I don't know if they are considered to bring good luck or not

- I don't think there is any special country where you SHOULD NOT write in red ink, it just gives a sense of warning and for longer texts it's somehow irritating for the eyes so it is recommended not to write in red ink almost everywhere.

-  As far as I know about the Chinese they are somehow punctual (at least they try to be). But in most Middle Eastern countries a delay of 15 minute in appointments is quite normal and not even considered offending or a disrespect. Anyway showing up earlier is something like impossible in that area. As for parties it is considered somehow classy to arrive quite late!!!

- Rubbing noses is a way of greeting in some Arab countries of the Middle East like UAE and maybe Oman. That's a friendly way of greeting there.

- As for Chinese culture one thing that was interesting for me was to see some men raising up the front part of their shirt , showing up their bellies while walking in the street to cool up when it is hot in the summer.

- If you have a nap you will wake up with some object on your stomach - people here are obsessed with the idea that you need to keep your stomach warm - and winter or summer somebody will cover you with whatever is to hand be it a blanket, jacket, cushion, newspaper or whatever

- lunch times seem to be a bit flexible here, lunch break is 12:00 but the selection of food in the canteen is depleted by then so my guys go to eat at about 11:30, they still don't come back until the afternoon session starts though. otherwise timekeeping is excellent