Home decoration ideas for expats in Turkey

Hello,

After moving to Turkey, setting up home and turning your accommodation into your personal abode can be a great way to start off your new life and feel at home. We would like to know whether expats are keen on decorating and furnishing to warm up their space whether for the festive season or all year-round.

Upon renting a new apartment or house in Turkey, do you redesign your accommodation to suit your taste? Are your choices influenced by price, climate, etc…?

Have you brought any interior decoration items from your home country or did you consider buying any once in Turkey?

As an expat in Turkey do you find it worthy to invest in home decor? Could you share what you have bought and perhaps some interesting places to shop for home decor?

How would you describe the local style of decoration? Have you picked up any item which reflects the local style?

Would you be inspired by the festive season to decorate and add a festive touch to your living space?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Hello,

After moving to Turkey, setting up home and turning your accommodation into your personal abode can be a great way to start off your new life and feel at home. We would like to know whether expats are keen on decorating and furnishing to warm up their space whether for the festive season or all year-round.

Upon renting a new apartment or house in Turkey, do you redesign your accommodation to suit your taste? Are your choices influenced by price, climate, etc?

Have you brought any interior decoration items from your home country or did you consider buying any once in Turkey?

As an expat in Turkey do you find it worthy to invest in home decor? Could you share what you have bought and perhaps some interesting places to shop for home decor? https://decorbest-en.com/

How would you describe the local style of decoration? Have you picked up any item which reflects the local style?

Would you be inspired by the festive season to decorate and add a festive touch to your living space?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

- @Bhavna

thanks dude

@Bhavna We bought and just visited some relevant shops, TV, furniture, ... For renting I would be very reluctant, ,but not applicable to us.

@cdw057 Thanks for your input! Any shop you would recommend ?

Cheers,
Bhavna
@Bhavna Difficult to say, for furniture or TV's I think there is not a big difference in price, I noted I paid at least 20% extra, but home delivery and installation are also important. Perhaps I am in a differerent situation, but I prefer comfort and good service over price. OK Yes I lost I think EUR 500 in price (in total), but people being available and helping for expats are also important.

As for the normal shops, we live in Mahmutlar, we go to MMM for Whisky, but in general we use the local shops, perhaps they are more expensive, but give good service and during the day we are recognized and appreciated (perhaps because we are friendly and not difficult, but of course we are clients)
Butcher, barber, hair dresser, supermarket, cigarette shop, ... We do what we can to be local (also important restaurants)

Be a regular client in local business I think is important, I think real residents can better service than 1 week tourists.

For us settling in we used our real estate agent, of course as mentioned above we paid too much.

Getting a cost-effective phone/internet ... you need people you can trust, and at the start you can not, just a bit extra for services is fine.
We have good internet now (important), good relation with providers as above.
@Bhavna I settled in my appartement 1 year ago before the prices increased so much. Turkish people said Istikbal is the best. It took forever to get delivered (8 or 9 weeks) but I furnished the entire 3 bedroom appartment for 4 000 euros with very good quality stuff and very comfortable. In Europe, 4000 euros gets you a nice living room that's all! Style is a little outdated but eventually I found one modern enough!

The electronics are the same price as Europe, Vatan seem to have the same prices as online shops.

I do decorate for the season, wall stickers and pillow cases are cheap online but as for local decoration, I don't find much that is authentic. Some villages like Sirince, has a lot of stuff but it feels like a tourist trap.
@IzaCG We had a very very nice cupboard and a huge TV for EUR 2 K, no new beds (they were fine), no new chairs or divans (also fine). We might to want to change in 2 years or so, but in general prices for furniture in Turkey are very acceptable (in any case comparing to EU).

I am fine (actually very fine).
Yes Inflation is hitting all, but so in the EU.
These are one per so many years investments,